1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Zebo dog or not?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by ABK, Dec 31, 2005.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

OK, I've got a question here ... I shan't mention any names out of respect for the person & his dog but I must ask - I saw an advert about a "Zebo" bred dog. According to the ped this dog is 5x Zebo, w/ Zebo 1st appearing in the 8th gen. So is this dog still a "Zebo" bred dog? I would assume w/ Zebo being so far back in the ped that the dog carries little to no Zebo blood. What do you think folks? Zebo several times in the ped starting in the 8th - is it still a Zebo dog?

BTW I am not singling out this person or his dog - I see this a lot, a person says their dog is a "Jeep" dog only to find out the dog only has Jeep once in the 6th, etc. & I am curious as to what to consider these dogs.

Any insight would be great!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  2. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Well I think your taking about me and depending on where you look Zebo/ Diamond Jim are in his ped in the 7th gen too.
    AND his ped ain't complete it has more zebo/Diamond fitch blood than that is I'm not mistaken, cross to some colby dogs.
    Van Pelt's is Strained from Diamond Jim.
    He is inbred Van Pelt's over and over 75% worth.

3. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

I'd say no. 5x and starts at 8th gen?? Doesn't sound tight enough to be called a Zebo dog. But maybe I read wrong. lol.

You have to ask yourself, if that specific dog is only in their that much, what else is the dogs pedigree made up of?? For that Jeep example, that's just people trying to hype up their dogs ped and sell dogs.

4. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

But if the dogs is inbred on the Zebo 75% wouldn't that count?

5. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Where did you get this percentage from?

6. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

3 tops part (3/4) is Van Pelt's (zebo inbred with some coby crosses) 25 % Red Boy/Norod/Joko

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes, Brothermarree, I was talking about your dog. But I mean no disrespect to you or your dog. Looking at his ped just got me thinking & I am just trying to figure this out.

Even if there is Zebo in the 7th (which I didn't see, but I may have missed it) that's only a percentage of 0.78%. Seeing as he's roughly 5x Zebo that would leave Dee having 5% or less of Zebo blood.

Yes, Van Pelt dogs are linebred Diamond Jim. But you have to go by the actual percents, not the names in the ped. For example:

Zebo in the 1st gen = 50% Zebo

Zebo in the 2nd gen = 25% Zebo

Zebo in the 3rd gen = 12.5% Zebo

Zebo in the 4th gen = 6.25% Zebo

Zebo in the 5th gen = 3.12% Zebo

Zebo in the 6th gen = 1.56% Zebo

Zebo in the 7th gen = 0.78% Zebo

Zebo in the 8th = 0.39% Zebo

So if a dog is 6.25% Zebo, that means it's 93.75% something else. If Dee has let's say 10% Zebo blood, that means he's 90% non-Zebo. I guess what i'm asking is while Dee may have a Zebo foundation but is he actually a Zebo dog??? Going by the percentages I'd say no, but I could be wrong ...

Another factor that figures in is when does one bloodline become another? For example, Redboy was a Colby bred dog. But we don't call Redboy dogs Colby dogs, we call them Redboy dogs. And some Redboy dogs off Yellow are not being called Redboy dogs any longer, but Yellow dogs. And some Yellow dogs are not being called Yellow dogs any longer, but are being called Mayday dogs. But no one calls Redboy, Yellow or Mayday dogs Colby dogs although they have a Colby foundation.

OK, did anyone get that but me? [​IMG] lol ...

8. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

This is how you calculate percentages on a pedigree times the number of how many times that particular dog appears in each generation.

1st gen.-50%

2nd gen.-25%

3rd gen.-12.5%

4th gen.-6%

5th gen.-3%

6th gen.-1.5%

7th gen.-.5%

8th gen.-.2%

9. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Oh I see what your saying.
    I was going off the Names in the ped.
    I think he's upwards of 7-10 x Zebo but would have to check

10. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

And how many times, the dogs bred off Zebo was there. The blood is called VAn Pelt's but not to many know So I got with the well known base.
    So I don't have to explain it.
    I figured it was ok.
    I say Zebo cause that is what I feel it is.
    I've seen Dogs that say nothing but Lonzo and they refer to them as Zebo so I just asummed.

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

The xs don't matter if they're way back in the ped b/c it's still be quite diluted. I'd give Dee 10% Zebo at the most.

12. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Confusing ABK confusing LOL.
    Sorry I just assumed you were starting stuff.
    Sorry. I get what your saying, it's a legitimate question. I personally think that he's Zebo or Van Pelt's to be more acurate.

But that's my Oppinion.

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

No, not starting anything, just confused. I have come across this several times & I don't grasp it. Used to, you could tell a how a dog was bred by looking at it's 4 gen. For example, here is an Eli/Zebo dog:

http://71.13.117.135/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=56370

Pretty cut & dried. But recently I have been seeing a lot of ppl claiming to have a certain bred dog & when you look at the ped you don't even see the dog until you hit the 6th or further! It didn't used to be like that. That's why I am rather befuddled when I see a "Zebo" dog or a "Jeep" dog (those are the 2 lines I see claimed the most) who doesn't have Zebo or Jeep anywhere close in the ped. It confuses me & I was wondering if there was some kind of reasoning behind it I didn't know about.

As for Lonzo dogs, the reason they're called "Zebo" dogs is b/c not only do Lonzo dogs have Zebo in the ped, but almost every dog in Lonzo's peds is related to Zebo.

Let's look at the 4 gen of Lonzo's main stud dog Danger for example:

http://71.13.117.135/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=6818

In it we see Brewer's Vindicator & Brewer's Rosie (Zebo's littermates) as well as Lonzo's Mike (half brother to Zebo) & Brown's Runt Number 2 (half sister to Zebo) as well as Brucham's Clyde (Zebo's nephew) as well as Zebo himself. There is only 1 dog in the entire 4 gen (Kidd's Sandy) who is not related to Zebo. And THAT is why Lonzo dogs are still considered Zebo dogs! ;)

14. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

oh, interesting.

15. americandream

americandream Top Dog

so you are saying the dogs bloodline is the first 3 gens? so what i think my hemphill/wallace really should be called a castillo dog?

16. Yes...more acurately, it'd be a castillo dog. Or castillo/dreamweaver if you choose to break it down. the foundation of those dogs in hemphill/wallace.

for the zebo question. say i have "DOG X" shown for the first time in my 6th gen. but everything behind that was mother/son, father/daughter, brother/sister HEAVY in-breeding off of "X"...than i consider that dog to have a little bit more than your .78% or whatever it was...of X's influence. now if the 6th gen was just X to some random dog...it'd be different. JMO.

17. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Here try and read this pedigree lets see your answers people.

------------------------JC's Jeep
    -----------------Garretts Floyd
    ------------------------Garretts Bridget=JeepXDolly
    ----------Chans BlackJack
    ------------------------Garners Chinaman
    -----------------Crums Nubby
    ------------------------JCs Missy=BoXHoneybunch
    RLK's KU
    ------------------------Garretts Floyd
    -----------------Chans BlackJack
    ------------------------Crums Nubby
    ----------Manns Aja
    ------------------------Garretts Floyd
    -----------------Chans Flo
    ------------------------Chans BlackGirl=FloydXNubby

18. I'd call that a "mostly Floyd" dog myself, but floyd is from jeep...so....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2006
  19. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thanks for the inight guys! ;)

As for the "Zebo" dog, it is linebred Van Pelt's Egor. Egor is a grandson of Thomas' Bocephus. Bocephus is Fitch's Diamond Jim x Smith's Amanda. Diamond Jim is Zebo x Mean Joleen. Mean Joleen of course is mainly Kingfish/Eli bred. As for Amanda, the ped doesn't say how she's bred.

He did say the dog was about 7 to 10 x Zebo (mostly via Bocephus), so have already said above that the dog may have a percentile of about 10%. But that would still make the dog 90% something else. That is why it fuzzed by brain when I saw the advert for the "Zebo x Sorrell" breeding. I could see the Sorrell quite plainly, but the Zebo I could not.

BTW, as I was reviewing your dog's ped for this post brothermaree, I noticed Dee is not 75% Van Pelt's. He's got some Razor's Edge in there too via Lashenik's Fine Edge making him 25% RE as well. He's also 25% Redgirl Joplin (about 50% Redboy/Red Devil & 50% scatterbred) leaving him about 50% Van Pelt (Zebo/Kingfish/Eli & ???).

As for the dog above, I myself would call it a Jeep dog. It's linebred Floyd & Floyd is a double bred son of Jeep. There's Missy in there who is a sister of Jeep & Dolly, who is a half sib to Jeep. The only outs are Chinaman. That being said, one could call it a Jeep dog or if you wanted to be more retro, it could be considered a Honeybunch dog. But that is JMHO.

Here is an online ped for KU's littermate:

http://71.13.117.135/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=24686

Happy New Years!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2006
  20. After lookin at the online ped...i'd call it "Jeep." Maybe "Jeep/chinaman."