1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Your Dogs Diet...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JBlazeRx7, Mar 13, 2009.

1. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

Your Dogs Diet - Feeding Fables That Every Dog Owner Should Know

by BJones

Copyright October, 2007 -<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- today=new Date(); y0=today.getFullYear(); // end hiding ---></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!--- Hide from old browsers document.write(y0); // end hiding ---></SCRIPT> 2009

Canine nutrition hasn't become as laden with diet fads as have human meal planning. But it has accumulated a number of myths which survive the ridicule of the veterinary profession. As you acquire a dog, your more experienced friends will shower you with advice, which may include some of the following affirmations:
    • "A clove of garlic keeps worms away" Garlic has enjoyed a reputation for centuries in the folk medicine of many cultures as an antiseptic, a treatment for high blood pressure, etc. But if your dog really does have worms, (and most of them do at one time or another), the quickest way to get rid of them is to have your veterinarian give him a specific worming medicine under his supervision.
    • "Raw meat makes a dog vicious" Raw or cooked meat is essential to a dogs nutrition. Fifty percent is the standard ration, and it may compare as much as 75 percent of his diet. If he is fed only meat, he may become high strung, not because the meat is raw, but because he is being given an unbalanced diet.
    • "A sugar cube dipped in coffee is good for a dogs heart" It is particularly good for his morale, because it probably means that he is sharing your after dinner coffee with you. Give it occasionally as a harmless treat, but not as a regular "medicine", and not as a heart remedy.
    • "Dogs cannot digest starch" They cannot digest uncooked starch, but they can cope with most cooked ones such as rice, whole wheat bread, and macaroni. However, dogs do not receive much nourishment from these foods.
    • "Sugar causes worms" Sugar is quick source of energy for dogs, as it is far us. Worms are caused by worm larvae. A puppy may get worms from his mother, and an adult dog may get them from infected food or drink, from the saliva or feces of an infected dog, or from swallowing fleas and lice which act as hosts to tapeworm eggs- but never from sugar.
    • "Raw eggs improve dog's coat" A raw egg yolk from time to time enriches a dog's diet. Cooked eggs are an acceptable substitute for meat in an emergency. But the best coat conditioner is far, especially unsaturated fat, rich in vitamin E, such as linseed and wheat germ oil. The eggs reputation as a coat conditioner is probably due to the fact that yolk is mostly fat.
    • "Milk causes diarrhea in an adult dog" Milk is healthy for all dogs. A bowl of milk with a beaten egg yolk and a couple of pieces of whole wheat toast or dog biscuits is a standard supper dish in many kennels. There are various causes for diarrhea, including internal parasites, indigestion, a change of diet, food poisoning, certain contagious diseases- and sometime, but not always, milk.
    Knowledge and concern are important in feeding a growing puppy whose nutrition is the foundation of his future health. But common sense is all you need to feed an adult dog correctly, as his own experience will help guide you most of the way.

2. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

This isn't about feeding.. but the used motor oil cures mange thing is wrong, and dangerous to you dog.

3. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

This isn't about feeding.. but the used motor oil cures mange thing is wrong, and dangerous to you dog.

I believe you and all but I can't tell you how many dogs I have seen growing up that had red mange or demodex that were treated with burnt motor oil mixed with sulphur and were cured.

There are a lot of old timey remedies that people used to use on themselves and their animals because they either didn't trust a doctor or couldn't afford one. For example, if you get a cut and you are unable to get a band-aid, you can use a nice sticky spider web to put over the cut and pull it together and stop the bleeding. I am talking about a regular cut, not artery gushing stuff. They also used to put a couple of drops of urine in the ear for a earache. It was also recommended to urinate on your feet if you had athletes foot.

4. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Sulphur will kill mange by itself. That is the main ingredient in Nu Stock and why it works so well and is completely safe. You don't need to mix it with motor oil. It clearly states on the side of any motor oil container that it will cause cancer. :rolleyes: Just because an old timer did it, doesnt mean it was a good thing to do.

5. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I wasn't saying it was a good thing. I was just saying it was done a lot in the past. Of course people used to just let their dogs roam the neighborhood, none of them were on heartworm prevention, only shots gotten were Rabies shots as required by law. And they were regarded as animals, not little children in fur coats.
    That was common where I grew up. There were never any dogbite incidents, amazingly enough.
    I am definitely not condoning it, just saying that it happened.

6. Rebs

Rebs Banned

Dogs grew just fine on all sorts of kitchen scraps.
    More new age fandango.
    Dont feed this, dont feed that, put your dog on a predatory diet, feed veges, dont feed veges, kibble is bad, kibble is balanced and nutritious.
    horses for courses, but only for a bulldogs main course.

7. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

Lol yea I've heard of that one before! BOY I tell ya we could make up some good ones!:)

8. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I like to feed the mutts an all meat diet personally, when you go and buy your dogs food ask yourself, Have you ever seen a dog or wolf in a field grazing????? the answer is no. corn, soy, wheats are all just fillers and have a very minimal nutrition value to a K-9

9. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I put Helena's demodex in remission using ivermectin, a cattle and swine dewormer, also found in some heart worm medications. I also have used Nu stock and it's been very effective for hair regrowth. I quit applying it for a little while, noticed a lot of hair regrowth, plan on starting a treatment plan with it again