1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

YesBiscuit!: I'm Sure This Will Increase Shelter Adoptions

Discussion in 'Dog Blogs' started by YesBiscuit!, Sep 23, 2009.

1. YesBiscuit!

YesBiscuit! Big Dog

I mean, who wouldn't want the opportunity to go to jail?Warner Robins [GA] city council passed an ordinance Monday night setting up a fine and prison time for people who don't sterilize their pets.The law will apply to animals adopted from the city shelter.[...]Council member John Williams says the penalties [up to 6 months in jail and $1000 fine] will help control the city's pet population. Yeah

More...

2. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

good cause anything coming out of the shelter needs to be fixed anyway

no need to have convict mutts dropping seeds all over the city anyway just gives you more mutts

3. simms

simms CH Dog

Frank you are missing the point.

Why should any one be fined for adopting a pet that isn't spayed or nueterd already. Screw that council man and any shelter that doesn't spueter prior to releasing any animal. Penalizing the consumer is not going to get animals adopted.

Besides those shelters and esp city shelters can file for grants for low cost spueter programs. The system is jacked up cause they got monies for the man power and execute the tons of paper work involved ...yet they don't have the f*cking brains to provide a solution to the problem.

They can hold it in their mouth till it goes soft!

4. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

you know im not tryn to sound insensitive but man the stray population is rediculous
    so hell yeah get em spayed and fast

that includes all the pits coming out of the shelter

your only adopting a pet not a future top breeder yeah its kinda f'd up that they want to charge innocent people for not getting them spayed

but they should be spayed

5. simms

simms CH Dog

I agree that there is a problem with the lack of responsible pet ownership. However I must inform you that i am not in favor for or pro non kill.

6. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

explain please

7. simms

simms CH Dog

I don't nescessarily agree with the concept or practice of no kill shelters or policy of it.

8. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I think that most folks, myself included, who have seen the direct effects of long-term kennel isolation on a dog (Especially a high-energy, intelligent one) would agree with you.

9. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Definitely agree with not supporting nokill shelters. They have good intentions but are extreme in my opinion. I worked for one off and on for about a year. Got bitten by a golden retriever, a dog who had bitten 2 people before me. They said he was abused. Maybe so, but imo he should be killed. Not all animals are adoptable. Their idea of fixing it was to dope them up. I don't agree. It is kind of like putting a band aid on a staph infection. Sooner or later, it is going to erupt into a ugly mess.
    The dog is still there, completely unadoptable, due to liability. They also have cats with terminal cancer that they spend thousands of dollars on meds and surgery instead of euthanizing them.
    One good thing about this shelter is they have volunteers that come once a week and walk the dogs on the weekends. So they do get some socialization. But not all of them, not the ones on crazy meds.