1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Yard Setups?? or Indoor?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by TheFinest, Apr 3, 2010.

1. TheFinest

TheFinest Pup

Curious what the experienced folks have to say on this.

I've seen that the best conditioned dogs are usually securely tied to a chain. What would be the best ideal housing for the dog, in a kennel (large fenced) or just a good sturdy chain setup?

Also if your dog is a indoor/house dog- please share, this is definitely an option!

2. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

house dog or chain is the only way to go for a bulldog, some breeds do better in kennels like beagles but for bulldogs i wouldnt trust a kennel

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Depends on how many you have. Even if a dog is in the house, it is good to put him on a chain when he is outside. Pit Bulls are escape artists!

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

if you can make yourself a chainspot or make yourself a house dog. that's if you only got one multiple dogs in the house ain't the best idea IMO.

5. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Lol, I got 3 in the house. 1 male that is 12 months, another male that is 8 months, and a female that is 7 months old.

6. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

im assuming the males are (still) cold?

7. TheFinest

TheFinest Pup

Sweet, thx! We plan on getting one (or atleast start by one :D) and keeping him in at first. The chain setups look so complicated, + when you hear escaping dogs, that really worries me.

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

chainspot are easy some kennels even sell kits minus the axle, but any junkyard has a few laying around.everything will cost under 100$ to get set up. or you can do above ground runs & that's even cheaper.

9. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Actual neither are cold. The 12 month old won't tolerate any dogs other then the ones he's with in the house. The 8 month old was the first one that needed seperated from the litter. The biggest myth in game dogs is a good one won't get along with other dogs. The myth is totally false. Good ones will get along with other dogs.

10. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

I've got a housedog right now, but she has her own chainspot outside. i'm gettin a pup soon, so he'll be in the house until he grows a bit, and will probably rotate or even set up a 2nd spot for those days where you just want some quiet.

11. popper

popper CH Dog

i have 2 in thehouse and one outside ..... and 2 more on the chain at anothe rlocation

12. Boze

Boze Top Dog

many gamedogs have gotten along with other dogs but, it is not the norm. and most that did were in the hands of experienced people who knew their dogs very very well. it is not something that is recomended. not saying it can not be done but you have to be careful. and even then the chances are they will fight

13. TheFinest

TheFinest Pup

Good to know! I like fiery dogs and I've seen that you can definitely socialize them enough.

So Im guessing that its not the best idea to bring home two males pups at the same time if they're living indoors?

14. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Bringing them home at the same time is better then bronging another one home later on.

15. TheFinest

TheFinest Pup

Sounds good. Its not going to be for a while but I wanted to get the research and things like this out of the way :D

Thx!

16. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

I know at least my male Donovan does not get along with other dogs as a rule, but with Silence, he's fine. Silence is the same way..not good with other dogs, but that's ok. Dobes and Donovans are supposed to be DA anyway, just as long as I got a hold on them we are good, and they can do competitive stuff ignoring the other dogs chained while they are working. Leaving them alone together? Never.

17. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

all depends on where you are. alot of areas have limited or all together banned tethering-making kennels a neccessity.
    i use kennels and the house. when in the house we crate and rotate with a couple of these....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Belcher256

Belcher256 Big Dog

Crate training is always a good idea for inside dogs, but for your question, it really depends on what your living condition is and if you have the time to properly train an indoor dog.

19. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Crate and rotate for us. 7ft fenced yard for out time. Plenty of room to run. Would like to do some cable runs in the future for exercise. Anybody use them and if so, do they work well?

20. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I use both outdoor set-ups and indoor set-ups as well as crates for pups up to a year old. heres some pics of what I've done and it works well for me.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]