1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Would you rather start a bloodline with a scatter bred ace or a linebred game loser

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by txboy, Feb 5, 2015.

1. bounty

bounty Big Dog

Re: Would you rather start a bloodline with a scatter bred ace or a linebred game los

This is a good point. Even if the ACE can't produce himself he will produce something close to as good as himself which will probably be better than anything the Game bum can produce. Also sounds like people are presuming the ACE isn't game. Isn't the definition of an ACE a dog with EVERYTHING? So it should be just as game as the game bum. But it has other good qualities, so would make more sense to try and see what he produces. If the game bum is known to produce aces, then you would go with that.

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Re: Would you rather start a bloodline with a scatter bred ace or a linebred game los

It is true that some assume a so-called ace isn't game sometimes, but it's also true that even more assume a game dog is a bum or plug just because it's game. I see no difference. Both are just faulty assumptions. And if a dog was an ace is it that it's an ace that happens to be game, or can it not be a game dog that happens to be an ace? I see no difference in that semantic.

3. Polar Ice

Polar Ice Pup

I agree the semantics are the same. Perhaps my only assumption is that an ace is a game dog as well as possessing large amounts of everything else required to be called an ace. In my view if the dog is not game then it's not an ace. The ace is the highest ranked card in the deck, it's hard to beat

4. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

If I was determined to start a yard, and those were my only two choices I'd pick whichever was producing the highest percentages of match quality dogs. If we are talking of two that have no offspring out there doing their thing give me the gl..I'll back that fucker up to the badeest bitches I can get my hands on.

5. txboy

txboy Pup

great point. which would you go with scatter ace or linebred game?

6. txboy

txboy Pup

I'm with you on that one! same here!

7. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Of course when we are STARTING, we tend to study pedigrees almost to an excess. I did some of that myself. But I learned that seeking either of the aforementioned types of dogs is a nowhere proposition because they're both based on preconception. I learned quickly not to do that and to let the dogs tell me what to move forward with. Of course, the way they were bred played into it somewhat. I wanted high percentage dogs with good consistency in the first few generations. Not so much the pedigrees, but the particular nucleus of dogs.

8. txboy

txboy Pup

I see where your coming from. I like that. Thanks

9. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...simple breed for the dogs .....not the papers.....(another one sentence wonder tdk)...lol..

10. Boze

Boze Top Dog

someone already explained wat to do. take the scatterbred dog for example most likely it will not produce himself. whoever says best to best works doesnt really understand best to best wat is best to one person might not be best to another. you need pedifgrees period but knowing the littermates and parents and grand parents is so much more important. tke the game loser. now look at his littermates. were they all just game plugs or were thhere a good percent of game winners in there take a litter of twelve and say six work out and there is a few winners a ch and that game loser in the litter and u just happen to own the game loser the chances of that dog producing are very good considering dogs produce the average of a line as a rule and if the average of the line is winners than that dog will produce winners

11. txboy

txboy Pup

Great logic on the gamer loser side of it1 agree 100%

12. kenitodrake

kenitodrake Big Dog

well its kinda two sides if you go with scatterbred dog and its a good dog and you are trying to start your own line than your starting a scatter bred line because a line consist of one blood or two but it doesnt have over 6 diffrent types of blood in it but it may produce good dogs . but if you go for the line bred dog than your just going for a fancy pedigree it doesnt matter how useless the dog is if you want that blood you gonna use it for example you take a bullyson dog a tight bred bullyson dog it doesnt matter if it has no game as long as its a bullyson dog than its fine but only for people who want a fancy pedigree . thts how i look at things ... but it really doesnt matter because a good dog is a good dog

13. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Why not take the scatterbred dog back to a litter ate, then take the offspring back to the parent? Keep the litters, full, bla, bla, bla?

14. tony.macc.52

tony.macc.52 Big Dog

True story

15. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

Would like to ad again. If you are truely breeding for "Performance", then how the dog is bred is far less important than how he performs & produces.
    The only way to breed true working dogs is to actually see them work.
    If you want to know if he's a good working dog, work him.
    If you want to see how well he produces, get out & see his offsprings perform.
    There are no short cuts & you cannot buy your way famous or be guarenteed Great dogs or even good dogs based on paper work. You just can't.
    Great dogs don't always produce great dogs or even good dogs. But good lines will always produce both good & great dogs. That's what makes them lines.
    But even when you buy one you still have to re start the process because that breeder may have differrent standards 7 are looking for differrent traits.
    A solid WORKING BITCH far exceeds anything . Papers & all. 2nd will come a well bred bitch over that.
    This isn't just my thoughts ,or what Stratton wrote in a book , but you can listen to E.Crenshaw interview or see other well know breeders who have done the same.
    I have gotten rid of more crap along with other I have known that were "BRED PRETTY".
    Gotten better dogs & seen better dogs based on stuff most haven't heard of, even breeding looked ugly but the dogs worked exceptionally well & out shined the big names with ease in the working areas.
    This is only if your concerns about starting "WOKRKING FAMILY" instead of breeding dogs based soely on papers.
    If someone hasn't handled the dogs in the pedigrees keep it moving. If someone hasn't even seen the dogs in the pedigrees but wish to tell you how great or haow bad that dog is then you might be as dumb as a box of rocks you that's what you choose to base a working yard on.
    Go to the sources & cut out the middle men. These are the haters & debaters . The actual peddlers of the game. Sell dogs based on what other did & seen but no real 1st hand knowledge of the dogs.
    The will tear down the actuall breeders in a heart beat to make money off that same guys dogs & name.
    Just keep it real & true to the game.
    Draw a line in the sand & let the bulldogs hunt hogs & tell which one's to breed.
    They are the best ones to tell you everything you need to know.

16. keystone

keystone CH Dog

nice post ziggy

17. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Truth be told I would go with the game loser if that mofo lives after what made me believe he was game I'm not talking about 30mins as a down dog I'm talking knocking on deaths door on his last leg one drop of blood away from kicking the bucket I'm talking true game dog he is my choice all day long

18. Mashamplan

Mashamplan Big Dog

If that game loser lost to an ace calibre dog, and showed to be a good allround dog himself, just not good enough to beat the ace, Id go with that linebred game loser.
    It seems we often read a question and assume that they referring to extremes (in this case an ''ace'' and a ''game plug'') and maybe the op meant that. But as its not explicitly stated I will assume the game loser was a dog with good ability, speed, mouth, and wind, but just met one that was far too good for him. Lol. Id further assume it most probably is linebred on some outstanding individual, and thus breed to it before I breed to the scattered ace.

19. olddog

olddog Big Dog

Damn folks, has anyone taken into consideration what you are starting off with for a gyp ? Line bred, scatter bred, tested, style, ability, wind - she has as much if not more importance to the mix as the male. Spend your good money on a solid, well bred female - and once raised and you know what you've got go find a male that mirrors her.

Olddog

20. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

I agree 100% with this statement!