1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

worming fyi just to help others

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mntman2003, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I get the Strongid-T, at the local feed store, and they should have Ivermectin there too, I will see today;)

Thanks Eh!

Buck

2. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

My feed store has if your doesnt just order them on line.

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Will do!!;)

How often do you repeat/redo the wormings with Ivermectin?

4. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

i use ivermermectin 1x a month for heartworms.

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks.

It was $50.65(Ivermectin) at the feed store for the smallest bottle they had. Which is enough to do my Yard.

I picked up some (Stongid-T, 60ml) as well so I can switch back and forth. Is there a time limit you should wait till switching the dewormers back and forth? (every 2 mos. or every month?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  6. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

ok lots will disagree but heart gaurd is 272 mcg per tab for the big dog tab. OK listen to me 1 ml of ivomec has 10 mg per ml of ivermectin which is equal to 10000 mcg about 20 times the dose of the big dog tab. Trust my calculations I literally do this for a living. I know many give 1 cc per month for 10 generations but I dont want to hurt a dog and why not save a buck. I empty my ivomec and put it in a quart sized container. Then I fill the empty ivomec container 9 times with PG dumping it each time into the container. now I got 1000 mcg per cc or ml same thing. I give 1/2 a cc to a dog which is still almost 2 times what a heart gaurd tab is and 1/4 cc to pups. I am a very anal about this stuff cause I m a nurse in real life. You can do your yard for 5 yrs or till it expires on 1 bottle.

7. gameone

gameone Big Dog

Is propylene glycol worst for dogs then Ivermectin?

8. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

not at 1/2 a cc which is a 60th of a oz.
    The oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health damage in humans. Serious toxicity will occur only at plasma concentrations over 4g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time.<SUP id=cite_ref-6 class=reference>[7]</SUP> It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1g/kg of PG. Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are related to either inappropriate intravenous use or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.<SUP id=cite_ref-7 class=reference>[8]</SUP>
    The potential for long-term toxicity is also low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.<SUP id=cite_ref-8 class=reference>[9]</SUP> Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.

9. gameone

gameone Big Dog

Why not just give less of a does of strait Ivermectin?1 cc is 20xs the dose you said in your post.So a 1/2 cc would be 10,yes.And .05 would be the same as the mix,yes?So strait ivermectin would be cheaper,no?Ive seen people mixing it but never asked why.I worm on the first of the month and heartworm the 15th of each month with Ivermectin @ 1cc per 110 lbs.Its wormin 2x's a month but I know Ivermectin isnt the greatest on other worms but will keep them in check.we have many dogs over 10 years old born right here on the yard.So it cant be to bad..

10. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I hear ya I will have to locate a syringe small enough to eye 1 20th of a cc. The 10000 mcg is right on the box and on the heart gaurd box is says 272 mcg for a 50-100 lb dog. I am just over cautous due to my training....which is more of a drug sich as one that kills stuff isn't good. I always think lots of people say "oh my old fella dies at 14 went blind then just died" maybe from to much of something...yeah never know we dont autopsy many old timers lolol. A insulin syringe could calabrate such a small dose. 1 cc is about 100 units???? So 5 units would be 1/20th? Well dam 10,000 into 272 is one 36th lolol. That would be just about on the 3rd notch on the insulin syringe. I wonder if the ivomec is to thick for the syringe cause most are 28-34 gauge? well I will have to find out. my spelling sucks sorry

11. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

screw it I will stick to my regimine been working for 10 yrs lolol.

12. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

Over dose of ivermectin can cause skin rash, swelling, headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, seizure (convulsions), shortness of breath, and numbness or tingling. Maybe if someones dog had any of the above it wasnt cause they ate a raisin or something they shouldn't 36 x's the recomended dose figured out by a chemist or engineer of some sort can raise the question. Just trying to help...I know many people hose dogs have had these things go wrong and they assumed it was something they ate.

13. gameone

gameone Big Dog

hey sorry about my #'s there wrong sometimes I think something and type some different.But you put up the right #'s 1/20th would be the right dose.I always say go with what works for ya. :)

14. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

No worries bro I cant do math in my head well I broke out the scrathc paper the second time out lol. Such a small amount of pg doesnt worry me...after all 1/4 of a cc is nothing. It is actullay used as a base in some IM meds today. peace bro!

15. gameone

gameone Big Dog

Yea man I was thinkin the same thing 1/4 cc or maybe an 1/8..At a 1/4 would only be 3cc's a year.Thanks for the insight if I have anymore questions I know who ask now :)

16. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

you got knowledge to share too bro.

17. jeepfreek

jeepfreek Big Dog

Man i cant find HappyJack no where around here any more, & that was good shit ...killed everything ...u got a online supplier you can post for me ? thanks :D

18. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

last time I saw it was the bullwrinkle site.

19. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

Gundog supply has it

20. this might be a dumb ? but does fish tape pills kill all worms or just tape worms i looked on the site but did not see what type it treated sorry if this sounds like a dumb ? but i have never heared of it until i read this but i am always for finding cheaper ways to keep my dogs healthly