1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Working Patterdales Pups

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by NorthStarTerrier, Aug 11, 2011.

1. It is black and white .. What problem would one have if they find a crew. That is a blessing not a problem . .. I travel to hunt more and meet like minded people. Black to be honest you are making excuses. Hunting can be as simple as walking in a field and woods . I spent over 80 hrs walking before I found my first fox in fall ..
    It is simple get you some good dogs off hunters and hunt them! That is BLACK and WHITE ?

2. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

you not being realistic. find a crew to hunt with, do u think thats easy.. u can end up waiting a year or 2 or even 3 before u are able to have people to take u up.. and than it may only be a for one time hunt, to have someone say u can come every time with us and be part of us is very hard lol.. so before u can walk for 80 hours , u need to find a place to walk, not just place, but PLACES..

u see those who been hunting for years, they have lets of permission, every weekend they get many digs, but if u just started, first year u may end up with just 4 or 5 properties, and thats if u r lucky, ontop of that, there may not be any fox dens there.. as finding a fox dens is a whole different ball, i go to this property that has 6000 acres, and it has not one fox den, but plenty of rabbits, i checked out everyplace in that area since early last year.. none. soi mnot making excuses, im just being realistic, tats how it is for new hunters, most of them drop out ofhunting because lack of assistance from older hunters and lack of permissions. hell iwanted to quit hunting before because at one time it was so depressing, i asked peopel to take me out no one wanted to take people they dont know

3. You don't need a crew3! You need a dog .. I am being realistic cause I am telling you a real story . Why would you have a hunting dog if you don't hunt it ?

4. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

building permissions is a big part of it... if you get out a couple times a week and only have a few different places to hunt, you will quickly find yourself just walking your terrier thru empty fields, not really hunting at all. Taking the time to repair settes is a start towards quicker re occupation of the same sette. Do you guys even know where each other live , you could be talking about completely different areas of the country or the world , I dunno. To think and argue that your personal situation where you are is the universal end all is silly.

5. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Barry Jones passed away Sept. 15, 1999. He was one of Britain's most dedicated terriermen and was professional terrierman to the Cotswold Foxhounds in Andovers Ford, and a former Chairman and President of the Fell and Moorland Working Terrier Club, and the founding Chairman of the National Working Terrier Federation.

The chest is, without doubt, the determining factor as to whether a terrier may follow its intended quarry underground. Too large and he/she is of little use for underground work, for no matter how determined the terrier may be, this physical setback will not be overcome in the nearly-tight situations it will encounter in working foxes. It may be thought the fox is a large animal - to the casual observer it would appear so. However, the bone structure of the fox is finer than that of a terrier, plus it has a loose-fitting, profuse pelt which lends itself to flexibility. I have not encountered a fox which could not be spanned at 14 inches circumference - this within a weight range of 10 lbs to 24 lbs, on average 300 foxes spanned a year.You may not wish to work your terrier. However, there is a Standard to be attained, and Spannability is a must in the Parson Russell Terrier.

How to span?

With so many variations of hand size a more precise statement of average hand span is required. The way I find easy to explain is to take a round object of four and a half inch diameter, place your two thumbs and index fingers together forming a circle - this is your span.

Some will not be able to cover the entire distance, others will have an overlap. Either way, when spanning the person will bear in mind their "plus or minus" factor and be able to gauge the four and a half inch diameter, which is approximately 14 inches circumference. This size of chest in a terrier of 12 inches to 14 inches height will look and be balanced, allowing heart and lung room, with the flexibility to follow its quarry in underground work. Regarding the shape of the chest -- this should not of course be round (barrel-chested), rather the shape of an egg in profile, large end uppermost, allowing free movement of the forelegs. Too large a chest will put out the elbows causing poor movement, so it is not only from a working point that the chest should be of the correct size.

"I have not encountered a fox which could not be spanned at 14 inches circumference - this within a weight range of 10 lbs to 24 lbs, on average 300 foxes spanned a year." I copyed this from The Terrierman site in reference to the idea that the fox in the UK is larger than the fox here in N.A. For the most part a red fox is a red fox is a red fox, exceptions all over the place of course.

6. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

if they buy a dog and are honestly not planning to hunt it, than i agree, but if they not hunting much because honestly they havent got permission and are trying to get permission and are looking for places and asking people to take them out but they still not successful than cut then i cant blame them.

7. The only reason some one does not have permission is because they have not asked enough .

8. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

true mate...

9. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

went out today, visited 8 farms.. got one permission..

was funny day, one was owned by lezbians and gay man, they said oooh poor fox.. sorry. LMAO i said no worries and kept going.

last one had HUGE land, but already had shooters use his land, said doesnt want anymore

10. LOL keep asking ...