1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

winter?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ofrn_man, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ofrn_man

ofrn_man Pup

How well do ur yard dogs do outside..recently moved to ohio..and the winters here can become intense....have any of u had to bring ur dogs inside to the basment...or relolacte due to cold weather..or should they be pretty much be fine any where in americaa wit heated doghouse

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Man thier are bulldogs kept in alot colder climates than Ohio.But yea i understand your concerns.I live in south bama and its hot as hell but believe it or not I worry more bout the cold than the heat.Shit I know if a dog got good shade and plenty of good water he is fine.You do need to put some fat on them bfore winter and I would think if you had a insulated dog house you should be fine.You may want to consider building your own..Thier is some plans on here for a dog house only needs one sheet of plywood.Maybe someone could dig that up for you.And also u can make sure they got good beddding.We use pinestraw.

3. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Double roomed fully insulated doghouse with lots of fresh straw and ur good.

4. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I have kept dogs outside for years in the Northeast, just made single room insulated houses and make sure the dogs are hydrated at all times. Jmo

5. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Yes hydration is a big big part of keeping them healthy . Single room insulated houses will work just fine also. I just perfer the double roomed ones to protect em from the wind. Not all of mine are double roomed but thay are all insulated. Another good Idea is to suplement there feed with beef suet aka fat

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Heat aint that bad at all.Look here I am not a young buck..But i can work in extreme heat..If anybody thank they can keep up wit me..........Well ill pour a cup of cofee and sit down and wait to u catch up.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

bot responding to anyone..my point is I believe we adapt to our climate.dogs are the same....jmo

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

not responding to anyone..not bot.

9. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Only if below freezing. increase fat intake..switch from red cedar chip to straw..better insulation factor.switch water bowl to rubber or poly composit resin..won't crack.ice won't stick.

10. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

make sure the dog house is not bigger than the dog, just enough space for him to get in and lay down. If the house is to big he will not be able to heat it with his own body heat. Make sure straw is changed out, fresh straw holds heat in its hollows. If the straw is flat it will not hold heat. This is the reason people love the 2 chambered houses with easy access to them in order to change out straw. There is a topic on this. Good luck

11. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

This. I also feed at night with some warm water in the food.

12. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Ditto ...me to StIdes.