1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

When does something become its own line.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Tommygunn, May 3, 2010.

1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

lol thats a little extreme. Im sure you have more than left you mark on those pretty red dogs br

2. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

i think lines should be based on notable dogs not just 4 generations of a persons name.
    if you aint been doing anything with your line then it will disappear quicker than you could stick 2 dogs together, and no one will remember your dogs.

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i agree with you but that doesnt change the fact that lines can also be named after breeders. But it doesnt matter bc only the best names have stuck around as you already stated. The rest are forgotten...

4. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Im going to take the easy road out and say, When other people recognize the accomplishments made by a dog or breeder or how a dog produces good dogs and starts calling them "such and such" dogs then you got a line.

5. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Regardless who knows the dogs or not, they are still the product of someones breeding practices, therefore they are that persons/kennels line of dogs.

6. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

what i mean is that the ped could have your name on it for 6 generations but if your breeding shit than who cares what your breeding or said line for example. there are many people who have been around long enough to fill out a 4 generation ped with there name but does that mean the dogs were any good or even worth breeding?
    you would have to base your yard on a notable dog first and try to recreate that on your yard or surpass it. if your breeding gamedogs and never hunt with your dogs then your line is simply proven to do nothing and thats not a marketable trait.

alot of people just dont understand that you have to have something consistent and different than what everyone else has in order for anyone to want your dogs. if i get a sixbit dog and breed that line for 4 generations with my name on it and the dogs just act like everyone else's sixbit dogs then why in the hell would anyone want one off my yard?
    i didnt improve any traits so even though it bears my name on the pedigree its still a sixbit dog. im not sure i have explained my response well here.

7. Tank1

Tank1 Big Dog

I agree with Bobby Rooster. And boxpits it doesn't matter if the dogs are worth a flop people will still say they are so and so dogs. Some people want petbulls.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i agree with you bxpits. all im sayin is its ur line whether anyone wants or recognizes it. it might be a line full of inconsistent curs but its still ur line. To have a line that is recognized and respected by others is something completely different. we were just answering the question

9. drz

drz Big Dog

If your sixbits dogs act like everyone elses sixbit dogs then why would anyone want your dogs ANY LESS than other sixbits dogs?

Also your discussing quality, consistentcy, differences. These don't make a "line" which was the original question. These thinks are traits of a line or breeding program. But they don't define a line. You can have a completely crap line of dogs but it's still a line. Still the question wasn't what makes a good line or a bad line, it was when does a line become it's own.

10. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Mayday is a four way crossed dog Redboy/jocko/Bolio/Tombstone He was a battle crossed dog he was not any one line but threw knowing how to line breed dogs His owner made the Mayday line of dogs.

Boyles dog are boyles dogs and not patrick dogs because boyles made his own breedings with his Patrick dogs and added outs that patrick didnt. Just like Hollingsworth did when he bred his Patrick dog to Gr.Ch. Yellow to get mayday.

11. =^^=GYPSYKITTIN

=^^=GYPSYKITTIN Big Dog

Good reading!! You guys are posting very helpful and interesting info. Discussions like this are part of why this site is crucial to the preservation of this beloved, misunderstood and,:D truly awesome breed!!!!!

12. I can agree with all of you it's the man behind the dogs is the specific dog your line breeding off of it can all become it only thru 4gen of solid breedings uncle bred is 50%/50% neice is bred 25%/75% to cross to each other 50% y/r/b/j inbred to 175% linebred jeep/redboy/honeybunch it's line breeding a brother to his sister's offspring now i can start this line and breed it the other way around to a nefew 50/50 to auntie 25%/75% the 50/% on the nefew is inbred the same as the autie's topside same blood that would make is y/r/b/j 75%/175% j/r/b/h and keep this up but till i get four generation's line bred with the dogs being bred this way and me as the breeder you may not set foundation it may can be done with scatter bred lines but you risk never producing the same qualitys that a perticular good dog may have coming out those breedings will need to refine that line down and i guess pick and choose off the refined one's to then line breed those and set foundation also look set a standard to people and the line's like the huge black red eyed alligator blood some odf these dogs are 75lbs if you look at g.hammond's dogs most would say they are diffrent then there ggp gggp but he made his onw breeding and created the hammond's alligator/rufus/bullyson lines we all kno too day same with bert sorrell some or most go's back too klauses zeke indian bolio's sire and hollingsworth's bull but still read sorrell gamedogs themainman