1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's Your Definition of a Cur (Split from Bullyson thread)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Rock n Rye, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Re: What's Your Defination of a Cur (Split from Bullyson thread)

20 min curs have beat 15min curs to make rank lol.

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

^------- Lmao

As with everything in life its not so easy to see unless you know what your looking for and most don't know the difference between a dog that's unable to continue and one who refuses to continue.. I would blame the handler for the one unable to continue and the dog for the latter. I would still say both dogs quit. Just one quicker than the other. Sort of like the difference between a dead game dog to a game enough to win dog.

3. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Any stories about Cold dogs that turned on and became monsters at a later date, maybe on another yard etc...?

NGK

4. RRL

RRL Top Dog

What is your definition of a Cold dog NGK?

5. NGK

NGK Top Dog

A dog that doesn't ever start up even when introduced to the box. I should have worded my question above a little better, It should read Anyone have any stories about a dog that was LABELED as a cold dog but.......

NGK

6. RRL

RRL Top Dog

You worded it fine.I was just asking you that question because just like this thread title it seems there are different definitions/ideas of what a Cold dog is.The best way I've heard it descibded was by Limey,but it seems a real Cold dog by that defenition is really rare and not many have ever seen one.Oh I just saw LABELED...so it wasn't a Cold dog then.

7. NGK

NGK Top Dog

I aked the question because I bred a dog years ago that was a big catchweight throwback dog that was cold as ice on my yard but ended up on another yard and became quite the monster. I later bred him back to his aunt and he produced well, even tho he was a 75lbs conditioned dog he never threw a dog larger than 44lbs in 7 breedings.

NGK

8. RRL

RRL Top Dog

Did he produce any dogs similar to his mentality? Where do you think his size came from,and was he inbred?

9. NGK

NGK Top Dog

No he never produced anything that was a late starter like himself or a dog that looked like himself other than his grandpups (a few with his coloring which was similiar to Ironhead). He was out of a father daughter breeding his dam being a 50/50 cross of two cousin strains so he wasn't really that inbred or linebred. I think his size was the result of the cross, he ended up with his sires length and height but his grandams bulk. We did have 2 other males go quite big after the cross, one being his uncle from the 50/50 stock named Blade 80lbs who was black and looked like an oldschool alligator dog, the other being a half brother (same sire) cousin (dams sister) named Goliath 80lbs who was a thick black dog with a white head and looked like arts missy in shape. All 3 of the big dogs looked quite different and all 3 were like big puppys until they hit 3-5 years old depending on the dog. Once they started up they were not for amature hands as they were absolute monsters all 3.

NGK

10. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

When the sh^(*& hits the fan and dog decided to quit, its a curr in my book

11. RRL

RRL Top Dog

Interesting stuff NGK!Thanks for explaining.

12. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Re: Who was the best Bullyson dog?

That is exactly right.That is why Pool Hall Red was able to go on and become a legend The owner knew it was either pick her up or lose her ,so he decided to do the right thing.The rest is history.

13. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Damn ngk, I don't think I would even want to handle a dog that big. My dogs are half that size and are a handful when they want something. Can't even imagine the power behind a 75 lb conditioned dog wanting something in its view. What lines do you have that throw dogs that size?

14. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Re: Who was the best Bullyson dog?

Alot of good dogs that were in good hands of gentlemen lived to fight another day, I wonder how many Jeeps, Art's, and Honeybunches were thrown to the wayside by egomaniacs and hard bastard rookies who thought they were doing the right thing. Hers a word of advise for those who are planning on getting involved with this breed, "If your a macho prick DONT".

NGK

15. NGK

NGK Top Dog

My dogs are all under 40 lbs now from the same family that I described above, the cross that threw a few big dogs like that was Eli/Carver x Alligator/Heinzle/Lewis. Now that they are refined over 7-9 generations they have become their own line imo and are great working dogs.

NGK

16. Icepick

Icepick Banned

WOW, I cant believe this thread has been going this hard lol
    Cold dog= no interest in combat, whatsoever. never did, and never will. It will stand there wagging its tail, as the other dog works it.
    Cur=Quits for no other reason than to quit, it concedes all this rank cur stuff, is still just a cur to me. Rough curs are a little more hard to pick out, because if they are really rough, you gotta fine something thats going to prove its a cur lol.
    Game dog= keeps on going, as long as you ask it to, and it physically can.
    Dead game, went out, just like the name refers.
    Dog scratching to a dog that expired in the box, I suppose that would be a courtesy scratch right? Courtesy scratches are just that, and not mandatory.

Have dogs that quit produced, HELL YEAH, but if they were mine, they may not have ;) . Be it right or wrong, thats just how I see it. I dont pass judgement on anyone that breeds to a cur, but I refuse to, nor would I keep one. There is a place where you can prove your choices on what you breed, and it isnt on a boards lol. Besides, there werent boards pre 76.

17. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

A 80 lbs game dog dam the guy that handled him would have to be called Hercules.Those dogs must have been powerful as shit.What the hell u roll them with?

18. flipboy

flipboy Pup

@ Icepick: Like Like Like

Pre-peddlers era, when one asked about a dog they say the name of the person. Where are the good and honest people gone? Nowadays, you hear excuses. You hear people breed curs and untested dogs. These breed was made through selection. YES it was man made.

A guy from M_ stuck her cold bitch to a GCh , who I heard is setting-up matches to have offspring winners. The untested offspring was bred to his cur dog with colorful pedigrees. It was said to had stopped and PK a so called Boyles bred dog in 20mins! Now he was pounding his chest and preaching he knows his dogs. A timid guy who I thought was a driver, flew and went to the land of dragons with his dog. Played and went home with 80t in his pocket. Nothing less, nothing more...simple. You can find the "right" dogs from the right people.

19. Icepick

Icepick Banned

I did forget to address the degrees of gameness.
    Game=the one that hasnt been stopped before, and has made their scratches
    Deep game= the one that makes the 10 count pushing itself across, using only its chest and back legs (closest to a dead game one can be and still be living IMO)
    Dead game= the one that went out doing what it loved!

20. NGK

NGK Top Dog

If 2 gentlemen decided to pick up on a draw because they know both dogs would die in holds otherwise would you make the exception on deadgame and call them both deadgame even tho they lived?

NGK