1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's Your Definition of a Cur (Split from Bullyson thread)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Rock n Rye, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Re: What's Your Defination of a Cur (Split from Bullyson thread)

NGK, we sort have said the same thing, posting at the same time lol...

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Extremely slippery slope here. If a dog quits for whatever reason it's a cur in my book. Proper handling? Keep and of age? What's a "good life" to make a dog a game one? These terms and conditions have no one true definition and vary. One constant is if one refuses to go when physically able to then it has quit. A quitter = a cur. Whether he lived his life on filet mignon or kibble and water. Slept on a tempurpedic mattress or a handful of pine shavings. If he could of went he could've. Shock, counted out do to blindness, flat tires I would consider stopped not quit and thus not a cur.

3. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

You can say it a thousand times and you will still be wrong. Some will play it all the way to the end. If they are able to push, pull or drag they should at least attempt to go. It has been done by more than a few. I guess it is just a matter of your standards of what game and cur are.

4. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

My half a cent... a cur is one thats able to go and wont...every living thing has its limit... I agree with some posters that alot of dogs that are called curs...lost due to handler or conditioner error thus not making the dog able to... But like everything its subject to point of view If its my dog I may say I messrd up if its yours im liable to say its a cur laughn... I think a better question is would u let a dead game dog die just to prove its game?

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Naw Fool you the one that is WRONG, you just do not realize it YET LMAOROTF

6. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Naus, I dont want to break all of it down as to incriminate myself for you, but heres some examples;
    Age, to young, or to old. If it quits at 16 months, like CH Rascal did to CH Sampson, its probably because its still a pup. If you bring a 7 year old out of retirement , and it quits, that the handlers fault too!
    Keep, Over work the dog, dog is sick or full or worms, kennel accidents days before the match, dogs dehydrated before the show.
    Good life, proper feed daily, good housing, wormed on a regular basis, flea prevention, disease free.
    These are a few examples on how a handler can screw a good dog up. So, if someone is going to look at one, make sure all your shit is done right, so there will be no room for excuses.
    Its easy for a sorry handler to ruin a good dog.

7. Icepick

Icepick Banned

How else can a dog be called dead game, if it doesnt die lol...

8. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

I know that laughn... I guess my question wasnt worded correctly... What I was saying is if you (not u personally) had a dog u believed to be dead game would u allow it to die to prove it was dead game or would u pick it up?

9. Icepick

Icepick Banned

LOL, just messin with on the dead game stuff. But, if he was way behind, I would pick him up (after a good scratch of course). If its close, well its the nature of the dog game...

10. venom

venom Top Dog

It's not black and white, every dog is not the same machine... Blood loss and injuries of that sort effect an individual differently. Under the same punishment my dog may be able to still go where as your dog may have loss of vision brain going haywire with coordination and everything else going down the shitter. You need to be honest with yourself and make the assessment and decide if this dog pre 1976, gave its all for its owner and was not physically OR mentally able to go and then make the decision if it's worth breeding too. Nobody else can make that decision for you. Cuz ppl talk and it's hardly ever positive. Glass is always half empty.

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

There it is ......

12. hardluck

hardluck Banned

Re: Who was the best Bullyson dog?

a dog that doesnt make its scratches and looks for an escape is a cur to me. i dont feel that every dog that is stopped should be labeled as a cur. there are too many variations to the problem to label that dog as a cur. put that same dog labled as a cur into better hands and the outcome could have been better. a cur to me just doesnt mean the dog has stopped, i agree with post limey. id breed to a two hour quitter any day out the week.

13. cincyboy

cincyboy Big Dog

its all the same to me

14. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Just curious hardluck, but why would you breed to a dog that quit, when there are plenty that havent? Not trying to insult you, but just want to know why. I know of others that have, and probably would again, but just not for me.

15. hardluck

hardluck Banned

most matches dont go over the hour mark. a dog that makes it over that is displaying something else in him. you cant always breed best to best to get what you want and there has been many dogs that have been stopped that have went on to produce very good.

16. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Thanks for the answer, I wasnt trying to put you on the spot. I know some do produce, but it wouldnt be my preference to breed to one that stopped on all fours. To each his own!!!

17. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

I kno u were bussin my balls @icepick...my thoughts exactly as far as leaving down or picking up...

18. bbad

bbad Big Dog

not saying it's a good pratice but didn't Banjo & BB Red dame & sire quit they threw 2 Gr Ch. Bullyson has been stated, what about Rascal didn't his lost was the result of quiting (not sure heard he was only 16 months, could have been shown to early) Snooty was another that quit & produce pretty good. I'm sure some of you can post a few more seemed like alot of these old timmers didn't always pratice what they preached. I won't say go & start breeding to curs but you got to agree most of the dogs mention pave the way for what we call fast lane today. JMO

19. Sea Serpent

Sea Serpent Big Dog

My definition of a Cur is a dog who can not take what he dishes out, therefore he quits, you know the sayings, when the tables are turned, when the rough gets going, when the heat is on, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen...etc. A dog that quits is a Cur in my eyes.

20. keystone

keystone CH Dog

most of the dogs stopping on air ......earl tudor