1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's a Raccoon Dog, Anyway?

Discussion in 'Dog Blogs' started by HumaneWatch, Feb 28, 2011.

1. HumaneWatch

HumaneWatch Humane Watch RSS Feed

What’s a Raccoon Dog, Anyway?

Animal rights activists, including those at the Humane Society of the United States, have never had a soft spot in their hearts for fur. HSUS, PETA, and other groups have stirred endless controversy over whether it’s acceptable to wear animal skins.

HSUS has agitated for truthful fur-garment labeling, which makes perfect sense. It has also called for the end of “killing for fur”—which, if we were talking about leather instead of fur, would sound like PETA-style crazy talk.

Truth be told, we’re confident HSUS would like to see leather go away too. But the animal rights movement has always seen fur as a sort of low-hanging fruit. HSUS has been going after it for decades. Its leaders would also like to see the end of meat-eating, but we haven’t seen them suggest that hot wings and steaks should be forbidden by law. (Not yet, anyway.)

[​IMG]

HSUS’s leaders have distinguished themselves from PETA’s in the fur-debating world by generally not going out on a limb to press for total abolition—unless they’re jumping on someone else’s bandwagon. (Example: the whole fur-labeling issue.) One HSUS senior manager cut his animal-rights teeth as the teenage founder of the Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade, but that was long ago.

Instead of directly targeting the fur industry, HSUS tends to fight little skirmishes around the margins. And it doesn’t always shoot straight. Consider the odd case of the “raccoon dog.”

More from HumaneWatch...

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Re: What’s a Raccoon Dog, Anyway?

That thing looks like a red fox, and coon breed. Like that ligar thing. I seen somethin on discovery they bred the ligar back to a tigar. And the now have this crazy big hybrid. It was on the DIRTY JOBS show.

They cross breed lots of shit whales dolphines, cabits cat/rabbits.

Whats next.

3. Re: What’s a Raccoon Dog, Anyway?

[​IMG]

4. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Ligers and Tigons don't have ability to reproduce because they have odd # of chromosomes.. Just like a mule they are hybrid but can't reproduce more of their own kind...

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

^ ^ wrong!! Mules your correct. But the did successful bred a ligar back to a tigar and have a 6mos old cub it looked like age wise...it was on dirty jobs. Its in a sancuary for cats. Look it up!

6. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Looked it up and can't find it.. I remember this whole discussion in Biology when I attended Univ of Maryland. They said it was scams out there people claiming it to be cubs off the breeding but stated they have odd # of chromosomes... Please show where there is proof I loved to see because every program I have ever attended or seen says they cannot...

7. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

there's been cases where folks have claimed to have bred fertile female ligers and tigons back to their non-hybrid counterparts. never heard about a male being fertile. far as i know no one has ever claimed that to be true. but these were claims i couldn't find anything to back up, just worker's claims that worked where some hybrids were being kept in the late 80s and early 90s.

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

It was on the discovery channel show (DIRTY JOBS) SEARCH YOUTUBE. I have a cellphone so cut and past aint working. Need a computer. It has the host mike rowe of something like that it was just in the last 2wks i saw it. (ligar) not sure what the parents werw weither the male was a tiger or lion..... But they took that offspring and stuck it to a female tigar. ....no bs. That was the claim anyway....if you search on youtube and /dirty jobs the episod sahould show up....;)

9. Brett

Brett Pup

ligers are sterile

10. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

What happens is the Female Lion and the Male Tiger have the hormone to stop growth, so when you breed Male Lion to Female Tiger you get a huge thing altogether, or the otherway around the offspring are midgets ;)