1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Lee Robinson, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ivebeen

ivebeen Big Dog

Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

a good Sighthound.

2. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

yall can have your dogs for "wilderness surviving"....you bring a 40lb dog thats gonna need fed, i'll take a pair of good boots and 40 lbs of clean socks instead. shit goes downhill fast when your feet arent warm and dry.

3. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I pretty much agree,in a real SHTF survival situation,an extra mouth to feed would only be another problem.

4. liquorice kid

liquorice kid Big Dog

Swallow some parasites or contract malaria an you gotta whole new problem, no food will stay down no matter how much you eat !

Even if you decide to eat the dog, leave alone feeding him !

5. Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

ppl that are saying lurchers idk how they would do on small game in heavily wooded forest, and they have some real fragile bodys idont think they would be a good choice one bit. i nice patt would probly be my choice cause id eat vermin all day and hed only need 3% of my food

6. Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

id*. if there was serious danger id climb a tree and pull that little guy up by his collar. no way im getting a 60 lb corso in a tree.

7. Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

what if u had to climb some sort of rock face? guess your leaving ur big mastiff down there. sorry for the multiple comments, i just keep thinking about it

8. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

A 60 pound corso puppy you mean right? lol

9. Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

i was gunan say 60 lb pit then went to corso, didnt change weight

10. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Yeah because Corsos are much bigger than that.

11. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

just outta curiosity, how many of you are picking large mastiff type breeds for protection?

12. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I wouldn't pick anything over 60 pounds. I'd stick with a field Alano, Bull Lurcher, or possibly one of those fuzzy bear dogs lol

13. ivebeen

ivebeen Big Dog

A nice 25lb-30lb Whippet would be awesome. Or a WhippetXterrier. Either one wouldnt take very much feed, and would be quick enough to catch some critters for you two to share.

14. cawkazn

cawkazn Banned

smart thinking, a little pat or jagd would do a good job

15. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

In a survival situation I'd rather have 5 pounds of .22 ammo as 40 pounds of dog,but if I did choose a dog it would be a small one.

16. rodeoman069

rodeoman069 Big Dog

Ill take a parrterdale mix with pit and coon hound lol
    On the real 22 rifle with amo, 5lb of rice and beans, 35lb pitbull, 75' rope