1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What line(s) for an older person

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by daisymason, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Any lines being known for throwing more happy go lucky dogs? Me and my husband are both 60 now so I guess we need more of the wimpy type dogs

we’ve had ones rip through crates, chew through doors, and rip up tile, so I guess the opposite of that

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

No disrespect intended. But it's probably time for yall to pick up a golden doodle. You post some weird ass shit.

Ssdd, Dusty Road and david63 like this.
  3. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

I would suggest another breed that is more low key and a bit more mellow.

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

maybe a Staffordshire Terrier

FrozenEli likes this.
  5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Good responses. Every line is basically the same. They all offer some of everything. The split second you choose a 'laid back' family one will pop out that leaves your house and his house in splinters.

Although odds are you get a super pet that will be in the family for many years.

The only advise is that if someone 'offers a puppy from a laid back family'......run. Shop elsewhere. No one can make that promise.

S

Revelator likes this.
  6. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Not something of dog of the millennium or whatever el titere was....

A nice min pin... maybe a jrt if you need a little fiestiness to ease the soul...

But all in all a rescue spaniel with good training.

Michele likes this.
  7. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

I M 61 BUT CAN STILL DO A 15 MIUTE BIKE RIDE EVERY NIGHT, A NECESSITY WITH A YOUNG DOG. CAN STILL PICK HER UP AMD PUT HER IN HER PEN. OOPS, caps locked. I would say in 10 year I wouldn't be able to do thee things anymore, so this will be my last dog.

CodyScott likes this.
  8. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Pete Sparks the snake catcher and handler feeded multiple dogs deep in his nineties.Damn he was one of the toughest around. Different times different people. About other quit mellow but fierce breeds, Ca de Bou the Spanish bulldog.

david63 likes this.
  9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Just remember they are Terriers and often act like Terriers. No matter if it came from a truly game bred family are not

david63 and F.W.K. like this.
  10. there are lines more hyper than others I recall visiting fwk yard and it sounded like he was roasting dogs alive in the backyard
    those patrick dogs OMG

david63, che, F.W.K. and 1 other person like this.
  11. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

They loved to interact with visitors as they were sweet dogs for the ones handling them but no dogs for a beginner I suppose. Even the neighbours were fond of them,LOL.

Bulldoghistorian likes this.
  12. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

No barking at all but high pitched screams if excited jumping around like crazy and trying to reach the sky, something like that,LOL

13. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Some were noisy mostly the Patrick blooded ones and some were quiet like a mouse.

14. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Memories about that noise. One night, 3 men wanted to break into the house next to us. I woke up to the dogs coming out of their kennels. The moment the burglars wanted to break a window, the whole thing started jumping and screaming and a large Bullyson dog barked loudly. through it. I hung out the window cursing them out and saw them sprint away. One fell on its mouth and had a hole in its head. He was dragged along by the other two. They disappeared around the corner and I heard a car start and they were gone. Nice ! never heard or saw the guys again.

15. che

che Top Dog

There are definitely certain dog lines that appear to be more hyperactive than others. However, I believe this hyperactivity is primarily influenced by the way these lines are bred and selected. I've had a similar experience with Patrick dogs, but what I've noticed is that certain strains of redboy dogs that I had were particularly prone to exhibiting high energy levels . Barking, jumping, climbing . Toke all my energy.

david63 and Bulldoghistorian like this.
  16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Skillet dogs bout same

17. brindle

brindle Big Dog

Sucks getting' older. I always liked my old Colby/Heinzl cross dogs as house pets but those lines are pretty well gone now. Currently I have a red gyp from old Patricks/Hollingsworth lines, she's 38 pounds and pretty easy to handle as a house pet. My neighbors have a pit/Lab cross who is a nice dog, about 45 pounds, black in color, he's good with the kids and other dogs, does not bark a lot and just a good fellow.

For some other breeds, I know some who have gone to the Staffordshire bull terrier as an easier pet. They seem like nice dogs but I still like the old style pit bulls. I'd not want a Boston terrier or French bulldog, too many health problems, they can't breathe with that too short snout and some can barely walk. Nah I'll stay with my pit bulls as long as I can… Some lines are easier than others, take a good look at the sire and dam if you can and see how they act. Nothing in life is a guarantee.

Pullingcovers likes this.