1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What kills snakes??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JamesT, May 1, 2009.

1. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

My 7month old dog was bit by a baby copper head in three places last night.Unfortunately the babys are just as posionus as the big ones.I took her to the vet and she's going to be fine.These snakes are every where in my yard,thats the third one ive saw in two weeks.What kills them,hunts them,or repels them.Ive heard moth balls and tom cats, but i also think guinea birds will.Does anyone know if this is true,I dont think a cat would make it very long around here.And i have a big yard so i might need alot of moth balls.I would rather somtehing that is good at hunting them.Any info would be greatly appericated.

2. Marty

Marty Guest

Catch you some King snake's and turn them lose ;)

3. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Snakes usually come to your yard because you have food and shelter there. They will go where they can get that. Remove any debree you have like woodpiles, fallen trees and mulch beds. If you have rats and small rodents they need to go too. Try exterminating the rodents. Snakes will hang out where they can hide and eat. Other than that, I don't know much more you can do.

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Exactly what Chinasmom said,take away their food and hiding places and they have to go.Guineas might help some,I have a few guineas but I'm not sure how many snakes they get rid of,probaly a few.You could get a few,it wouldn't hurt and if they don't work out,eat them.Cats are pretty irritating,at least for me.I had a stray come through a few weeks ago that had a ringworm.They're bad about carrying fleas too,but would probaly get rid of any rodents the snakes might feed on.And like Marty said,king snakes eat other snakes.

5. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Thank you all for your replies ,i already started cleaning up the yard weed eating getting rid of logs stuff like that .I havent seen any rodents but im sure there are some im going to get some moth balls right now

6. hammatoed

hammatoed Guest

what kills snakes... > a shovel..off with the head

7. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

That works too,LOL:)

8. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I have heard that if you buy sulphur from the feed store and put it around your yard they won't cross the line. Not sure how big your yard is.
    But you could probably put a border around your dogs pen or chain spot.

9. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

It might work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  10. Nancy

Nancy Big Dog

Lime is what I have heard, we've only had one so far, so hopefully, we won't, need to get some lime and spread it though :D

11. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Thanks I'll give it a try

12. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

This right here. Nothing knows where snakes go like a another snake, and not only do they kill snakes, mice, rats and other pests, they tend not to bother the dogs.

Also guns, shovels, and knives can do the trick

13. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Gineau Fowl..

14. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Yea i talked to a old timer and thats what he said.I think im gonna try a couple of the ideas posted above,including the gineau fowl.After all, i could try everyone of them ,and it would still be cheaper than the vet bill i payed last night.

15. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

where do king snakes hide? where i live it's illegal for me to kill snakes, but it's ok for a predator to kill them. i'm thinking i could catch a couple king snakes and set them loose in my yard, and be rid of the other snakes. my dogs would eat any birds i let loose. king snakes won't eat each other will they?

16. LilBoogieMan

LilBoogieMan Big Dog

Sheit i'm scared to death of snakes...dont care how big or small. So getting another snake to kill others wouldnt work for me. lol I got those little garden snakes in yard..freaks me out. Wish i had a Mongoose. :D

17. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

you could prolly pick up them king snakes at a pet store. idk about the birds they may be hard to get?

18. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I don't really mind snakes but I do kill the poisonous snakes around the house.The guineas would probaly be a good idea to try at least.I think they'd be safe around the dogs,I've never had problems of anything catching my guineas.They not anything like a chicken,if something gets after them,they'll fly up in a tree.A chicken just tries to run and not to fast at that,lol.They're probaly worth what you'd pay for them just to keep the ticks down.

19. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

guinea fowl are great. They will kill snakes, ticks, mice, anything that moves. I have several that patrol our property. Buy several Guineas because you will lose a few to the dogs. The feed stores start getting them in may and June.

20. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

ok i think if i buy enough guineas i may get a few smart enough to stay away from the dogs. the other thing i'd worry about w/ having fowl though, is i've always been told coccidia is carried in bird feces.