1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what is meant by a "hard keeper"

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Casperworldpeace, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Re: what is meant by a "hard keeper"

Agree with not getting rid of a dog because they are a hard keeper but it being that "ace" i highly doubt. Of all the millions of dogs I'm sure there were under 20 Ace's. Some damn great dogs and amazing hounds. Being close to perfect?? that's a lot to ask of a person.. As great as Michael Jordan was, he had low 3pt % but he still is the greatest.

2. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

Ok sorry I used the term "Ace" you guys sure can pick apart a thread. My point was these dogs were bred for performance and should be judged on performance til they're retired to the brood pen

3. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

I agree 100%. Sometimes I have dogs that are laid back never bark or run the chain til I put them on a chain spot in between a couple real active dogs and it changes them completely. Or vise versa if you have a hard keeper there are actions you can take to make him an easier keeper. That's my whole reason for postin on this thread. You can mold a dogs personality. Judge a dog based on his performance not how he acts on the chain.

4. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

And I'm not saying it works for every dog. Some dogs are set in their ways but a lot of times it can work

5. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

I don't think realbulliesallbullshit should have been banned. He's already set on breeding his dogs so he needs to be educated on if he's gonna breed a litter it should for his own personal use and not to sell pups. I'm tired of feeding rescues and the only way to prevent that is to educate people. Now he's gonna join a bully website where peddlers are praised instead of being here learning the proper way to keep these dogs. Ok I'm done. Everybody enjoy their evening

6. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

How do you keep a dog from eating things up and how likely is is a dog that ate their dog house to just pass it or up chuck it and not get stuck

7. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

Can’t say I’ve owned a hard-keeper, and my experience is quite limited compared to many knowledgeable folks here who I continue to learn from. But I do have a thought on the topic.

In the past, I have owned and currently own 2 highly driven athletic dogs. If not exercised rigorously and regularly, either could possibly fall into the category of hard-keeper, in my estimate.

Stress their muscles and hearts with hard daily exercise including safe bite work, give them obedience training and a job or sport to do and maybe the dogs will be less inclined to howl, crater the yard or turn the furniture to sawdust out of abject boredom. JMO.

8. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

My dilemma is I have a male who's a hard keeper and I believe it's rubbing off on the other who seem to be picking up his stupidity

9. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Keeping the dog tired and/or busy is a good one and for some dogs it would work well. Some dogs just have it in their make up to be destructive dogs, it's just in them. Others tear stuff up for various reasons. Wood for example is more enjoyable for a dog to chew up. Their teeth sink into it therefore it's easy on their mouths and they enjoy tearing it up. IMO that's the main reason houses get torn up.

I leave bones in the chain spot of all dogs to give them something to chew on but 9/10 times the bone lays on the ground and they chew on something else.

reddirt redneck likes this.
  10. treezpitz

Yup, it happens. I have it over here. Try to isolate the dogs as best as you can. People with smaller yard area who can't isolate them totally usually put up wood pallets or a fence. It helps I'm sure. At least the dogs can't see them acting a fool.

11. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

How do you deal with after they ate the wood off a doghouse ?usually it just passes but now the other one picked up the habit I caught her with half the dog house wall and she was actually eating it and . I don't want none toget stuck and plugged up . especially if it can be shown to the young ones I was thinking just building a squared up house from cinder blocks then coat it when cement

12. treezpitz

Build a cement house or cover the corners/edges with metal.

Saiyagin likes this.
  13. treezpitz

Can try spraying the sour apple stuff from TSC to deter them. I've heard of people using "pepper water" too. Might be worth a shot.

14. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

How do you get em to pass what's already gone down their throat and im gonna try the repellent .pepper water ? Are we talking black pepper or scorpion peppers

15. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I always have good luck using mineral oil. 2 cc a day for 3 to 5 days in a row or until you don't see it in their stool anymore. Good luck

treezpitz likes this.
  16. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Thanks I'll pick some up in a few mins at cvs

17. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

monkey see,,,
    monkey do!!!

...one bad apple can ruin a tree...

Whether separation anxiety,,, hyper active or just plane board...
    I like the idea of giving them more attention and or work as I had what I thought was a hard keeper
    and I slowed her craziness with steady work and before long she was a house dog...

If possible I recomend isolating the hard keeper from the rest of the yard
    and sometimes an older dog well make for a good yard companion as most wont be influenced by the hard keeper
    as most older dogs seem less influential ans more stuck in their ways...

some times I wonder if those crazy redboy or eli yards are all crazy or just a bad apple...

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

One of the worst keepers are CHAIN FIGHTERS because they can teach that shit to your whole entire yard, and all your dogs teeth will be fucked up by the time they are only 2 years old.

19. treezpitz

I have not had a chain fighter and I hope not to. I'd probably cull as soon as that popped up. I have one dog that I want to put all by herself. She doesn't have any terrible habits but she teaches the others the few bad habits she does have.

The one that pisses me off the most is not that bad of a habit but damn it makes me mad.

This stupid dog will roll around in the dirt as SOON as I spray her with bug spray. Eyes, mouth and all is covered in dirt when she gets done. The other dogs watch her and then start doing it. Wasting all of the bug spray that I sprayed. She does it every time. I rarely spray her anymore because of it.

20. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

There are a lot of dogs that will rub off in the dirt the pesticide spray when sprayed.....The trick is to spray them when while they are working....by the time they are finished working the spray will be dry.