1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what is a papered dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Dream Pits, Nov 21, 2013.

1. redwar

redwar Big Dog

hmm, Papered means a written ancestral trail(does not mean true or verified, that can only be based on the quality of the registry, registries involved)Papers can come from a breeder, and can be in the form of handwritten non "registered" paperwork, or they can come from a registry which is merely a database kept by some "authority" which stands behind the truthfulness of the papers, the merits of the registry are what gives the papers their so called authenticity/truth which translates to value-registered merely means you sent your papers and fee to the correctly sanctioned "authority" and they looked up and verified your "papers" against their database and they stand behind the truth of what these papers state and you are now part of this family tree database, which can be accessed and confirmed by others whom are interested to know this type information, for stud info or buying an animal as a pet, worker or monetary investment.

2. redwar

redwar Big Dog

With most registries there is no verification however some livestock and horse registries do require verification,in the form of full medical and blood work, DNA, photographs, witnessed notarized breedings as well as video confirmation of the breeding. All this being said, wherever the money, greed or need may be great enough someone will cheat or beat the system and so no registry is 100% true, some not even 10% lol

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I didn't read all of the responses. But when someone says a dog has papers, they mean the dog is registered. All dogs have pedigrees. Some dogs have known pedigrees. And some dogs have known pedigrees that are written down or typed. But "papers" means registration certificate. Two totally different things. For example, if you look in the classified ads and see a dog advertised as "has papers", that means it is registered through some sort of registry.

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

That's how I always understood it.

5. Furious_Ford

Furious_Ford Big Dog

exactly!!!

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Oh ok so what do we call those dog's without paper's from a registry? An unregistered dog! We don't call it an un papered dog lol . Really you can look at it either way hand written pedigree's are still written down by hand kept as a record by the breeder it doesn't make the dog "registered" but the dog has papers and that's the problem with the argument being made .

Giving all purebred dogs a chance to compete

Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege

Note: A fee of $20 was instituted, effective October 1, 2013, for Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege transfers or duplicate certificates. For more information contact PAL@akc.org.

The AKC, PAL/ILP and You

Many people have discovered the fun of teaming up with their dogs and competing in AKC Events. But, not all of those wonderful canine athletes that you see at these events are registered with the AKC. Some might be enrolled in the AKC's Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP), a program that allows unregistered dogs of registrable breeds to compete in AKC Performance and Companion Events, also specific breeds in the FSS® Program that are eligible for Companion Events.

If you have a purebred dog that cannot be registered with the AKC and have a desire to see what your dog can do in real competition, a PAL/ILP number is your ticket to the world of AKC events and clubs!

Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP): The program that provides purebred dogs a second chance.

There are various reasons why a purebred dog might not be eligible for registration. The dog may be the product of an unregistered litter, or have unregistered parents. The dog's papers may have been withheld by its breeder or lost by its owner. Sometimes, it is the dog itself that was "lost." There are many dogs enrolled in the PAL/ILP program after they have been surrendered or abandoned, then adopted by new owners from animal shelters or purebred rescue groups. The PAL/ILP program allows the dog and owner a second chance at discovering the rewards of participating in AKC events.

What AKC events may a PAL/ILP dog Participate in?

The Purebred Alternative Listing Program/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP) is designed to allow dogs to participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events. The AKC Events that a PAL/ILP dog can participate in are:

Agility Trials (All Breeds)
    Coursing Ability (All Breeds)
    Earthdog Trials (Small Terriers and Dachshunds)
    Herding Tests and Trials ( Herding Breeds, Rottweilers and Samoyeds)
    Hunt Tests (Most Sporting Breeds and Standard Poodles)
    Junior Showmanship (All Breeds)
    Lure Coursing (Sighthounds)
    Obedience Trials (All Breeds)
    Rally Trials (All Breeds)
    Tracking Tests (All Breeds)
    Once enrolled in the PAL/ILP program, entering AKC events is as easy as with a registrable dog. The only difference is that instead of an AKC registration number, you would list the dog's PAL/ILP number on the Entry form.

How can you apply for a PAL/ILP number?

Applications for enrollment into the Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege can be downloaded or by emailing PAL@akc.org. When requesting a form via email please include your name and current mailing address. Remember, PAL/ILP numbers can only be issused to AKC registrable breeds.

The following must be submitted with a completed PAL/ILP application:

Two recent and clear color photographs of the dog;
    one full front view showing the facial characteristics of the dog;
    one view showing the full side profile of the dog standing on a flat surface (not grass).
    (ALL PHOTOS SHOULD BE TAKEN AT EYE LEVEL IN A STANDING POSITION, INCLUDE THE WHOLE DOG IN THE PHOTO. DO NOT SHOOT DOWN ON THE DOG.)

A non-refundable $35.00 application fee.
    Once compiled, the completed PAL/ILP application along with the items listed above should be mailed to:

The American Kennel Club/PAL/ILP
    PO Box 900059
    Raleigh, NC 27675-9059

Enrollment in the Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege program is not to be construed as an alternative form of registration, but rather, as a listing so that dogs who are ineligible for AKC registration may participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events. A PAL/ILP may be cancelled for cause.

For more information or questions about the PAL/ILP program contact PAL@akc.org.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  7. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I don't give a flipping fuck about the general consciousness amongst people when it comes to the term "papered "dogs or a dog having "papers" it's not wrong to consider a dog with a hand written pedigree as having papers period the dog is just not registered by a registry it still has paper's that are kept by the breeder hand written papers means just what it says hand written on paper.

Notice above the AKC doesn't say there are many reasons why an animal may not be eligible for "PAPERS" in fact they state several times the dog may not be eligible for "REGISTRATION!" Lol

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

And this brings me back to the definition of " registered"

reg•is•tered (ˈrɛdʒ ə stərd)

adj.
    1. recorded, as in a register or book; enrolled.
    2. (of a bond) listed with the issuing corporation and inscribed with the owner's name.
    3. officially or legally certified by a government officer or board.
    4. denoting cattle, horses, dogs, etc., having pedigrees verified.
    2. Having the pedigree recorded and verified by an authorized association of breeders:

reg·is·try
    ˈrejəstrē/Submit
    noun
    a place or office where registers or records are kept.
    "a recognized purebred dog registry"
    registration.

The proper way to identify an animal that has a pedigree recorded with a registry is a registered dog. NOT a papered dog ... Because any dog can have papers for many different reasons and an unregistered dog can technically still have papers that are kept by the breeder AKA hand written pedigree those papers are simply withheld from registering the dog with any specific registry . Saiy is 100 % correct it's politically incorrect to call a dog with "papers" papered the dog should be referred to as a registered dog . This thread should be changed to what is a registered dog! Not what is a papered dog.

An owner who chooses to register a dog with a registry is getting "REGISTRATION PAPERS" Stating the dog is in fact registered with that particular registry and a record of the dog's pedigree is on file with the registry for that dog and or dogs. Once a dog becomes registered it's then considered a "registered" dog not a "papered" dog. Peddler's, Paper Chaser's and Green Horns call their dog's papered. A Professional breeder knows the difference between a dog who registered and unregistered ... They know the difference between a hand written pedigree and a Registration certificate/ pedigree that's issued to a registered dog for a fee. A dog with a hand written pedigree has papers from a breeder showing the dog's breeding and history but the dog is not registered with any registry and there lies the difference ...

I don't know anyone going around calling their dogs papered do you? I refer to my dog's as "registered" and the one I have who is not registered I refer to him as unregistered but I have a hand written pedigree from the breeder showing how my dog is bred those are his papers given to me by the breeder for my record.

9. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

thank God you dont need papers to see if your dogs game...... lol.

I'll leave the papers to the peddlers. Funny how confo folks want real box dogs but Dogmen aint looking for skinny conformation in their camp. Wind and bite maybe but no weight pulling Gr CH need apply.

YIS

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Common knowledge I thought lol

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Registered dogs have always been refered to as papered and I think its funny that you all are trying to change the terminology jus bc you don't like it lol it is what it is
    And Hammerhead I have zero clue what conformation and show people have to do with this conversation at all but thanks for your input

12. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Its been used for decades lol I think maybe you are the one who has a hard time thinking outside your special group. That is more likely the issue.

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

No you have it backwards dog's who have papers from a registry are referred to as registered dogs LMAO I can't change anything it's written CLEAR AS DAY on each registry website you go through and find anything mentioning a PAPERED DOG! lmao

14. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Here is an application for registration Note key word application for "registration"

[​IMG]

APBT Registration
    PURPOSE OF REGISTRATION

An accurate stud book is essential for dog breeders who carefully plan breeding and are diligent in the selection of quality brood stock. Without a true pedigree behind the stock, there would be no way to predict what type of offspring will be produced for the future. Every registration office throughout time has had to rely on the integrity of the breeders who submit paperwork into the office for the accuracy of the stud book. This is true of equine, bovine and canine registries alike.

Having an animal “REGISTERED” with an organization is a stamp of approval from that organization that the breeder has fulfilled the requirements in record keeping, transferring ownership's, etc. and the pedigree can be deemed accurate. If a registration organization is strictly “in it for the money” and has NO requirements and any dog rescued from the pound, stolen or “looks like a Pit Bull” on visual inspection can be registered for a fee, then having a “REGISTERED” dog with that organization means nothing. We want your dogs’ registration with the American Dog Breeders Association to mean something! Thank you for your support.
    PRIVACY & SECURITY

Your privacy is important! American Dog Breeders Association Inc. respects your privacy. That means we have never and will never sell, loan, rent or trade your personal information to any third parties.

Where the hell do you see anything mentioning "Papered" dogs lol ..

Link taken directly from the ADBA's website

American Dog Breeders Association

15. Rudy4evr

Rudy4evr Pup

Truer words have never been spoken