1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What is a fair price ?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by TripleJ, May 19, 2012.

1. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Ok I ask yall what yall think a fair price is for a pup. Now understand Im talking about MY pups! I have not Sold a puppy in over 15 years and I think I sold that lil CH pup (taco) for 200$ and at the time I think that was very low. Seeing how I allways paid 500 at least, I my self allways just gave the pups away or just raised them my self. But I am a realist and Money doesnt come like it used to and I just cannot Afford to give pupys away, BUT I have a lot of my shit bred and about to pop , and I also know I can not afford to feed or house all these puppys that are coming. so I ask what is a fair price from good dogs?

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Trip thats up to you man.They are worth the price you ask for them.Most everyone knows pups are a crap shoot so you cant garuntee anything but a well bred pup and thats more than what some can offer.But like I said they worth what you think they worth man.Dog feed isnt cheap and puppies is a pain in the ass time consuming job lol.

3. back2basics

back2basics Big Dog

500@the least anything below that and you'd be selling yourself short. If someone offers less they probably can't afford the vet, equipment, and feed necessary to take care of a dog in the first place. Have a good morning all bout to jump in the car and go to ADBA tristate. If you had a booth there triple j you'd clean up.

4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

And placement is more important than price !But yeah you still deserve a fair price for your time and effort.

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

$500 is a good working mans price from working stock IMO Who they go to is more important i agree. I've never paid more than that myself so I would never charge more than that. I could never see myself paying 1000 or more for a pup that I'll have to raise and feed along with all the other expenses of bringing up a pup just to find out 18 months down the road I
    have to cull it. Plus, if they're using a transport $500 turns into $700 or more. I've always felt if I was going to spend more than 1 grand on a dog to hell with buying a pup I'd go buy a 1xer or an already schooled out hound and skip the youngin years.

By the way your mills look great man! I might have to check one out.

6. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

I think AGK has it here ^^

7. I also agree with AGk, im looking for a male and when I find what I am looking for the price is crazy. People want 1200 to 1500 plus shipping !! Another thing im tired if dealing with is the control freak breeders. One breeder told me this "if I sell you a pup you have to have it fixed" wtf?!? If I buy the pup its mine to do with as I please. Another breeder wants a background check and proof of income. Another wants you to sign a contract saying she has the right to breed the dog if she wants, when it matures .....Damn!!

8. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

I think $500 is a good starting point J depending on the breeding. You know your dog's and know which breedings are better than other's for reasons known to you. I have never sold a pup so is uncharted territory for me but I would not go over $750. Just my 2 cents.

9. flipboy

flipboy Pup

A good price is something what's affordable to a buyer. I think getting the pups to the right people is the right thing to do. The price should go next. ($400-600 is an all around honest price IMOO). Goodluck with 'em.

10. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Yes I think you are right , Sure its all in who they go to, And I could never see asking 1,000$ for a pup if I say that I dont want to sell it lol I will sell a prospect for 1,000$ I dont see dogs like alot of yall, i have had great dogs die from Shit like snake bites, Tree falling down, Break a neck snatching the chain (no shit) So i understand that they are hear today gone tonight lol. So I aint tring to sell a dog for a whole lot. I dont care if its a damn Ch dog it has a Price lol. But I aint giving them away and I dont want to cut my self short , I was thinking some one that pays 500$ or 600$ is good for both involved That takes care of the time the breeder has to put in and it will help with feed, Any thing more it seems like you are kinda just tring make money and you may attract the wrong kind of money.(I learned long ago just couse they have alot of money in this game those are the ones you better watch,) I think we are all on the same page. And every one says give them to dog people I have given soo maney pups to "Real Dogmen" and half them sumbitches dont even send me a pup back so this time Im getting my shot money and feed money back on this , To be honest I hate pups. LOL And The breeding should be first class That shouldnt even be a ? If they are not good dogs off good dogs they have no buisness having pups, so that should have no barring on price.

11. sega

sega Big Dog

i wouldnt sell em to the public JMO, 1st off its to many people gonna be harrasing you abt dogs that dont know shit. not to mention all the traffic coming thro and people might start scoping out yr shit and try to steal "fckin theifs" or even worste. im sure your dogs are great, and for that reason i wouldnt sell to public but i know you need $, thats a really tuff call. i would pay 500 for one tho. and whoever was talking about the breeders who want to practically own yr dog after you buy it. i wouldnt fuck with them.
    if i wasent right in the middle of closing on this house triple "60,000 cash" i would be driving up there right now for one of those mills. ill be getting one from you after all this goes thro with the house deal

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Well I have paid anywhere from 500-1,000 for a pup. The pup I paid a 1,000 for is off a GR CH and a CH .. I had no problems paying that much for a pup because I felt the pup was worth it the parents IMO are good parents and that's what I was looking at. I know they offered the owner 30,000 for my pups mom the GR CH so I don't think it's so rare to pay big dollars for good dogs. Pup's are pup's so no telling what you will get that's true but if the man behind the pups put in the work with the parents that speaks enough volumes to me. At the end of the day I pay what I think something is worth .. I know kennels who charge 1,000 for a pup off parents who have done nothing so I guess it really just depends on the guy breeding.

13. Icepick

Icepick Banned

My experience is that if you do try and be a good guy and sell them cheaper than most advertised pups, people that dont know you will think something is wrong with them, simply because they are cheaper than average lol. Crazy, but good luck!

14. sega

sega Big Dog

JESUS CHRIST, i couldnt see spending that much on one dog, it could get killed in any number of ways naturally and yr out 30,000. fuck that a whole yrs wages for most

15. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Sega I never thought game dogs sold for that kind of money but now I know it's not uncommon it all depends on where you are with the dogs and what the dogs are worth if they are first class performance dogs I imagine they have made more than 30k in their career lol

16. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Then yall not gamblers! LOL! And yes it can get killed sometimes its the nature of the sport when its all said and done, its the gamble you take to see if that pup was worth it!

17. Uhm, I think this is a damn good idea and any breeder that doesn't make sure their pet quality dogs are neutered and that their show/work quality dogs are co-owned is a shit breeder.

18. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I hear yall but I have in mind where these dogs will go and I dont want to knock them guys heads off but like said It has cost me alot in my time feeding dogs and I put in my dues to get where I am, I just would reather have good dog men get them at a fair price before I will deal with the jitter bugs just couse they walk around with stacks. Its not about the money for the most part but I also like said dont want people think they are trash couse Im not going to hang a high price on them, The best dogs I got were not the most expensive. If they would have been I never would have had them and I think it is fair to give a man a chance at really having somethig with out having to break there bank. Or worse fight about it with the old ladie over it lol. No I think for the right person I will go with 600$ and hopefully I get them with people that will be proud to have one and raise them as I would. I can sleep at night with that.

19. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

There is no way in hell I am paying for a dog and signing its nuts and overies over to the breeder for future use only show breeders do that if I pay for a dog it's my property and no one is going to tell me what I can an cant do with it to each his own co-owns are bullshit I will give the breeder all the credit in the world for his work but once I hand the money over its my dog.

20. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Sounds good to me TJ that's more than reasonable for a pup that comes from a good yard.