1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to the bulldogs, when did the ADBA change its standard????????????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by benthere, Sep 12, 2011.

1. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

I had an old friend ask me this question at a recent dogshow, not by some newbie but by an older gentleman who had quite a long life in the dog game. the man has a very good eye (and the rep to back it up) for bulldogs and he has played a big part in the history of the breed.
    we all know the standard hasn't changed. what would your answer be if he asked you the question????

2. rockey

rockey Big Dog

i see many but i only know 1 kind

3. 1916

1916 Big Dog

My answer would be money got in the way of everything....

4. I guess I would have to ask him to go into a little more detail as to what he meant by the statement.

BTW it was cool meeting you at the show :) I was bummed we had to leave early Sun morning to head back cuz of the sick dog.

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Not sure I understand the question Ben. Then again I might not be the best one to comment on the ADBA standard. Won't see me or my partners at many shows and our dogs are ugly.

We're still set to make the TriState show though so maybe we'll get to see what you're talking about.

6. benthere

go and show a dog, do it in the fun class if nothing else. sunday i showed an akc staffybull in the judges choice. i told the judge that the dog was "pure greenwood"

7. benthere

Boogie,
    It was good to meet you too. Sorry to hear your dog got sick. Hopefully he is doing better now.

8. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

small world, i assume you know JB and showed Lil then? we are friends too, anyway i wanted to go to this show but didnt know there's a fun show since all i have is staffords

9. benthere

lil is lovely, as is her granddaughter.
    nice dogs.

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I'd say a mix between money and the adba tryin to separate themselves from the original purpose of the apbt. The shows are becoming more akc/ukc like day by day and the dogs are doing the same.

11. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

They are definitely moving far away from the original purpose. You s hould see the article Bob Stevens wrote. Its all about protection work and claims the original purpose is a thing of the past as if that makes him happy or something.

12. Kristi

Kristi Big Dog

The same thing that happens to any dog breed that is breed to a standard. It becomes all about the show.

13. Breawna

Breawna Pup

Good way to put it Kristi.

14. benthere

The way I see it, the dogs are getting too narrow & rangey. Too much emphasis has been put on the wrong type of athleticism. Their original purpose was more like wrestling than like ballet dancing. They need to be muscular and strong with big powerful shoulders and necks but instead they are becoming tall and skinny and narrow. I have often heard show people say that historically the most athletic dog won, which may be true, but it must be the right kind of athleticism. I bet you a wrestler would last longer doing ballet than a ballet dancer would last wrestling. JMHO.

I had a friend their who was a good terrier man & not a bulldog man and he also commented on the fact that most of the dogs looked like whippets.

15. jacko

jacko CH Dog

Ben what in your personal view should the ideal dog look like ,maybe a pic of a past gr ch ?

16. benthere

17. benthere

18. benthere

19. benthere

20. benthere