1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what food for pup?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by p1tbull, Apr 7, 2011.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

I like to feed raw as soon as the pups are off the bitch.. We give ground meat, bones and organ meat for easier digestion. I find the pups take to the raw faster then kibble and the eat better portions.

2. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

sa
    In my eyes a fat pup does not necessarily mean a healthy pup. Everything in moderation is what i believe, but again to each is own.
    I feel like healthy eating begins from day one by making sure the mother is healthy and eating the proper foods to pass great milk to her litter. As well as life time of eating healthy to preserve overall heath in your hounds.

JMO

3. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

in the wild dogs would naturally eat a high protein diet.they are hunters first remember,then foragers and scavengers

4. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It's holistic and still reasonably priced.

5. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

I let pups eat when they want. I always leave food out but just enough for them to eat it all and then I refill the dish. I do this till their 10 months and then I start them on 2 a days till their 20 months then I switch them to 1 a day. That's just me though and I feed puppy food till their 15 months and switch them to adult over a 1 month period. I use diamond and never had a problem with it.

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Jus let the pup free feed, I haven't had one that will eat to much. Other breeds will but not the apbt in my experience. If so then of course regulate the food.

7. llegend

llegend Pup

has anyone heard of a food called wolverine what r some of your opinions

8. rusty

rusty Pup

i have found kitten food is very high in vit. an protein but if there is a marvins hardware near you they red bag has great numbers of fat and protien. never had any problems withany puppy foods.

9. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Have you ever researched what high protein can do to the kidneys?

10. Jim R

Jim R Banned

we feed our dogs and cats raw pasture raised no grain feed chicken and eggs, lamb, goat, bison, elk, and wild duck. it's the only meats we eat and we buy it in bulk so it's easier on the pocket.
    the newly acquired pup was started on raw at 8 weeks. it's also easier to correct any food aggression since you can hold the meat in your hand when feeding time comes. she gets fed 3.6-3.8 ounces 3x daily since she shouldn't grow more than 35lbs. i've noticed that dogs and cats that eat raw drink less water.

11. dpmoney

dpmoney Pup

propac hi performance puppy with a lil goat milk have worked very well for me

12. Yas

Yas Big Dog

High protein is only harmful to the kidneys if there is already a kidney problem.

13. pitman87

pitman87 Pup

How do you not go broke feeding a yard of dogs raw?ive never fed raw but seems like it would eat the hell out of ur pocket.

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

when it goes on sale (.39lb) chicken is cheap, so ya buy it up in bulk. some of the lucky one have access to scraps from the butcher as well. youd be suprised, when it comes down to it and you put pencil to paper...raw is the cheaper way to go.

15. mma316

mma316 Pup

I feed raw, just jumped on the train and my dogs and I love it. You just have to watch your portions, mainly with adult dogs. Pups are to consume 10% of their body weight, which for a young pup isn't much...a 10 pound pup = 1 pound of food, maybe just a little more can be added. Especially, if the pup doesn't look as full as it should be, but you have to remember that dog foods contain fillers. Raw food doesn't, unless you add them yourself. Cheaper brands contain corn and rice. While more expensive brands contain potatoe, beet pulp, yam and maybe some other starch to stretch the value of the meat proteins that the food contains...if any real proteins are present at all(cheap brands). Raw feeding is the best thing that has happened to me. Healthier coats, skin, muscle tone, less crap, happier dogs. I feed only the dogs that are in my personal care, because I have a shared yard. I just keep my personals close to me, which at the moment is 8 adults and 4 pups. I don't know how many are on your yard, but I buy 1-40 lb. case of chicken backs and 1-40 lb. case of necks for $25 a piece. 10 lb. of chicken livers, gizzards and hearts for $7. A few beef tongue & livers for $5. 2 beef hearts, if available about $8 a piece. 15-20 lb. of high fat ground beef($20 worth). $20 in ground chicken/turkey. A few on sale chicken parts, around $3 per pack on about 10-12 packs and a few fresh fishes. That's close to $200, and I've been feeding for the last 3 months...with a month or 2 to go. So, that's $200 for 5 months of food...and TOTW costs about $50-$60 for the largest bag. We feed the communal yard Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice 40 lb. bag = $30, which has been excellent! I was just tired of the recall bs. If you love your stock and want to keep them around as long as possible, then it's worth it.

16. to be honest, in the pass i have had all my pups on puppy chow, and then once got up in age, i switched them to prism, and i have pups today on diamond pup formula, then switched them to prism at age, and to be honest i have never seen any change in my pups, only on puppy chow the dogs where bigger

17. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Do you have a meat grinder to grind up all of that meat, thus cutting prep time waaay down? Or do you just bag it up and pour it out. Also, do you add any oils/fat sources?

18. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

Purina puppy chow ....:)

19. mma316

mma316 Pup

I don't grind anything. Dogs with all their hardware have no problem with the bones. I think it gives the jaw some extra work. My dogs that have partial to no teeth, I'll just hack it in to pieces. I don't concern myself with bone issues, because raw bone breaks down very well in dogs...unlike cooked bones. I just portion out the meats, package them according to the dog, then I throw it in the freezer...that way I can just grab bundles to thaw the night before. It's not as time consuming as you may think. I usually give fresh fish once a week for Omega 3s. They can get Omega 6 from the meat and bone from what ever other meats you feed through out the week. I've been told that salmon oil also adds good Omega 3. The rest of their vitamins and minerals come from the consumed raw bone, but you can add extra vitamins and minerals, if that's your thing. I don't believe that it will be needed though. I just give raw eggs with the shell(calcium) and Brewer's Yeast tabs.

20. TOOTOO

TOOTOO Pup

Purina Puppy Chow.