1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What a Zebo dog should really look like (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by ABK, Nov 24, 2007.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I get tons of calls from ppl wanting a dog w/ "thick bone" or from ppl that tell me so-&-so told them that Lonzo bred dogs are nothing more than short, squatty 30 min. curs. Even this last week I had my best friend, who is an avid show dog person who has seen many, many dogs in many states tell me all the Lonzo dogs she has ever seen were "stump-legged alligator mouthed" little dogs. Well, I have decided to put this to rest. Below I have posted a little seen pic of GR.CH. Zebo along side two of my Lonzo bred dogs -

Zebo:

[​IMG]

India: (3/4ths Lonzo)

[​IMG]

Baby (7/8ths Lonzo):

[​IMG]

As you can see, Zebo was NOT a short legged or stocky dog. In fact, it has been written about Zebo that his legs were so long that they looked like they belonged on a TALLER dog.

Well bred, true to type Lonzo dogs will NOT be short or squatty. That is a trend that has come up the past few years & is promoted by a certain breeder whom I shall not name to MAKE MONEY. These "frog dogs" in the Lonzo line are no better than the stumpy-legged RE dogs we see out there today. Lonzo strain Zebo dogs are NOT meant to be short & squatty!

OK, I've had my vent. Thank you for listening! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  2. WWII

WWII Banned

I'm guessing that this pic also didn't help. Here he looks pretty squat.

[​IMG]

3. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes, you are right & that pic is what most folks go by. The pic I posted is a 3/4ths side view on dirt shows his leg much better. The pic of him sitting is shot closer up & slightly above him, distorting his physique a bit & part of his leg is concealed in grass, making him look shorter & stocker than he really is.

But if they would reference this pic - another quite popular pic BTW - they would see how leggy he was:

[​IMG]

4. elgin64

elgin64 Pup

Your dogs aren't stumpy at all. They look great

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thank you elgin! ;)

I just posted this to dispell a myth. I get so doggone tired of folks assuming I have "thick boned" frog dogs as soon as they hear the name "Lonzo." That's not what true to type Lonzo dogs are all about!

Here are some more pics of the TRUE old type Lonzo dogs, none of which were short or stocky -

Vindicator battling Bo circa 1974:
    (I hope this pic does not offend, but it was the only body pic of Vindy I could find)

I'm sorry ABK, I had to remove that pic as it goes against forum rules. If people are interested in seeing it I would suggest sending it to them by p.m.
    Thanks
    DryCreek:)

Lancaster's Snake:

[​IMG]

And one probably never seen on the Internet, King Elvis I:

[​IMG]

As you can see, like Zebo, none of these historic Lonzo dogs of the past were short legged, stocky dogs.

6. dogged

dogged Big Dog

Beautiful dogs, ABK. Baby is especially stunning.

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thank you dogged. I hope our dogs will lay some misconceptions to rest about Lonzo dogs. Many people cannot believe that Baby is almost pure Lonzo! ;)

8. jman11

jman11 King of the Valley

zebo is an eli dog

waits for hilarity to ensue....

in all seriousness, i can see exactly what you mean, i think the picture of Lonzos Andy, along with the pic of Zebo sitting down that has people thinking that there "bully" and "squatty".

Thanks for the pics though ABK, very much enjoyed

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

No problem jman. I hope folks do enjoy these historic pics & see what a REAL Lonzo strain Zebo dog is supposed to look like.

The pic of Andy is deceiving too. He looks much more short legged than he b/c he is laying in the grass. I'd love to see what he looked like standing. But even still, if they'd do their homework on the line, folks should know Lonzo dogs aren't supposed to be squatty b/c none of the famous foundation dogs for today's modern Lonzo line were squatty. A true to type (key words there) Lonzo dog will be leggy like foundation dogs, Zebo & Vindicator (although Vindy was said to be shorter than his brother Zebo, he still had nice leg under him).

As for Zebo, it is a known that Zebo is off Andy x Angie. The pedigree of ANDY is one one in question, not Zebo's. If you will look in some old sporting dogs mags you will see this. Peds in those mags show Zebo as Andy x Angie & Angie's ped is the one we know today, but but Andy's ped was blank.

From what I understand, it was only some years after these publications of Andy's blank ped did the "Zebo is off Eli" rumor begin. And why it began I don't know. Zebo looks nothing like an Eli dog, nor do any of his offspring to this day. Zebo looks like his sire, Andy.

Now who is Andy really sired by? That I can't say. Only Lonzo knows that. Maybe he will let us know in his tell-all book he says he's been saying he's going to publish. ;)

10. renegadepit

renegadepit Big Dog

What about Zebo's performance? Anyone know. I've asked someone about Zebo bred dogs last year and he said Zebo isnt' nothing, that its just a name? Just curious.

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Just like anything, there are good & bad in any line. The short, squatty dogs are usually 30 min. curs. They just don't have the physique or wind to compete. But if you get a good, old style working type Zebo dog who has the drive you need, you can bet the house on it. The problem is - like the RE dogs, folks are falling for the short, stocky look, so the working style Zebo dogs are getting harder & harder to find. But here are a few working Zebo dogs I like:

http://apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=209533

http://apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=9114

http://apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=9116

http://apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=56356

http://apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=115567

And these are just the ones I could think right off the top of my head. If I did an in depth search, I could come up w/ many, many more.

So in short, your friend is right & wrong. There are some Zebo dogs - esp. Lonzo dogs - being bred for the name. But there are pockets of breeders out there who ARE breeding working Zebo dogs who will gladly take your money if you let them. ;)

Dred Lok Kennels likes this.
  12. Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  13. jman11

TY for this info!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ABK again.

14. jman11

15. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Nice dogs DLK & jman! :D

16. jman11

17. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Me too ... those Toby dogs can get it done!

18. Thank you........

19. He is a Zebo/Eli cross (my yard) or if you beleive Zebo is off of Eli a Pure Eli bulldog I've centered my yard around this toby blood for over 10 years now and there the best to be had (imo) great all around bulldogs can do it all get any job you want done, done well this sound to much like a ad but you get the point I love them........

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

for some reason i cant see india, but baby is very nice