1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Westminster

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by ameribulldog2003, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Finally a bully wins at Westminster. Well, the colored Bull Terrier that is. Did anyone watch this?

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Not my type of event. I turned it on for a very brief time, but I just dont enjoy looking at snobs prancing around the ring with $40,000 dogs. It really gets to me when I see all the dogs obviously conditioned and worked on a mill of some sort....yet, our breed is labeled as dog-fighters for doing such. Sorry, just a vent I guess, in short...no I watched very little.

3. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

That bull terrier is gorgeous. I watch dog shows sometimes, you can learn a lot about the breeds and they are eye candy. I prefer working dogs myself though. I don't like the direction the doberman has been going in the conformation ring.

4. DID YOU KNOW THAT DOG HAS A "ROM" TITLE??? HAHA. THAT THREW ME FOR A LOOP FOR A MINUTE!

5. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

The sad thing is that whenever a breed wins this, or any other large, competition everyone MUST have one. So BYB's will start popping up, you'll see them in pet stores, and these dogs will get into the hands of people who can't handle them. As awesome as it is that Rufus won because he really is gorgeous, it basically signed the death certificate for the breed.

I really hope the breeding circles are closed so this doesn't happen, but I really don't know much about the BT circles so I just don't know :(

6. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I saw that too!

7. Will Power

Will Power Big Dog

Damn thats an ugly dog!

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Kind of like when the movie "Toy Story" came out with that gorgeous BT.... they exploded from then on.

9. lol no he's not... bull terriers are ADORABLE with their egg shaped heads... i can't wait until i'm able 2 own one... and, yes, congrats Rufus... i've been waiting 6-7 years for a bully to win

10. Suki

Suki Guest

yeah that was pretty cool. As I recall, I THINK he showed in the Eukanuba show as well.?...

nice to see a "bully" win for a change!:D

11. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

yeah great just means i wont be getting a BT anytime soon as prices will sky rocket. but it does mean in about 2 years when im ready i can adopt one of the crew in the pound.

12. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

That BT is bad ! Ive always like bull terriers.. well all bully breeds in general

13. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

..or 101 Dalmations.....

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Are you serious? He was COMPLETELY fat & out of shape (aka very unhealthy) & oh what a way to reward an animal & their owner. It seems Rufus get Krispy Kreme donuts & the like as training rewards....guess we should all follow in that example.

And the Am. Staff was absolutely horrible! Anyone else notice the extremely nervous/shy behavior, the tail tucked b/n the legs, & the way she tried to get away from the judge? And yet she won her class (of Am. Staffs.). Seems now it's the thing to reward the overweight dogs with horrible nervous/skittish temperaments in a breed that is supposedly rock solid. But hey, anyone catch the "Some people think they are pit bulls, but they're not. This is a very sweet breed." As opposed to our vicious "pit bulls"? The announcers were worse than the mutts.

15. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

but understand,.. this was an AKC event.. shown to AKC standards. Yes, they were definetly alot fatter than they have been over the years.. and yes, it is unhealthy to be so overly fat.. but those aparently are the AKC standards. The AKC has and always will be a "what the people want the people get" registry..meaning whatever is popular with the people thats what the standard is. They would rather parade fat dogs than have someone whine about a dog being skinny. They follow fads and go as far as (say with the cockers) to create new groups. Now there is the Black cocker class, the ASCOB class (any solid color other than black) and even the Parti Color class! What happend to a cocker simply being a cocker? So you see where this is going.. its not so much what is a solid working dog supposed to look like, its what fad has taken off and will create the most amount of money ;)

as for the Am staff shying.. I didnt pay that much attention as I couldnt look at how dang fat it was lol.. I did notice how its tail was tucked between its legs.

Yes, those announcers were morons

But on another note, there were a few dogs mentioned in the sporting breeds, working breeds, hounds that actually do still work. They had considerably less fat than the other dogs..

16. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Did anyone notice the pug, who was competing in BIS. He wouldn't even let the judge touch him! There was a Black and Tan (my fav hound) in the hound group, he had ears that were 26" from tip to tip!! How crazy is that!! LOL. Also, the Am Staff was from Finland or the Netherlands or something like that. Maybe shyness is okay over there:confused:

17. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

did not see the dog show myself but the link provided here has some great video of the staffs, looked pretty good to me anyway, also great point rocksteady about it being the akc

18. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Hey, don't get me wrong, I think Rufus is totally snuggleable! I just thought he's fat. He's featured in this months Dog Fancy (saw it at the clinic) & he's definitely a chub. :)

19. 1Pit_ManyLuvs

1Pit_ManyLuvs Big Dog

I TOTALLY agree with the Doberman comment. I was shocked when the Doberman didnt even PLACE in the top 4 (being a Dobe lover), but not surprised. I was happy to see Keith and Shaka win group though. Shaka is right now the top winnings Rottweiler in the history of the breed and MAN can that dog move.

1 person likes this.
  20. 1Pit_ManyLuvs

1Pit_ManyLuvs Big Dog

Dermott (the Pug) was scratched in the face by a judge not sure if it was yesterday or what since Ive just got the rear end of the story, so he was a little hand shy.
    I just hope its something he can get over and not ruin his show career. Although I think he was retiring after this show.