1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Welping box

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by ohpitbulls, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Anybody any plans or pics of a above ground welping box ?

jdk

2. SOULDOG

SOULDOG TEMPLE OF THE DOGS

3. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

thanks but would like to try an build a little cheaper then they want lol

4. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

well for weaning,Ive always wanted to do one similar to the shape of an ice tray, multiple slots for each one to go in and have the same amount, and no fast eatin n no wrestilin while they eat, lettem pass out n then put em back in their area

5. SOULDOG

SOULDOG TEMPLE OF THE DOGS

I agree they are pricey. Maybe the pictures of them will give you an idea of what you need to build your own.

6. 1916

1916 Big Dog

funny,i started a thread the other day about the same thing,theres a link that someone posted that has a nice one,its on here somewhere,then like someone suggested, cali jacks book has a plan,its also in tips. I got good ideas on one that i plan on making on the cheap.

7. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

8. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

really liking this one [​IMG]

9. i made this one the past weekend they cost me $60 very cheap ,he need some details ,fix the roof but here is summer soo i dont need yet ... only something for the sun now ,and i put 2 little door because when the pups start to walking at the time to feed it they try to escape ,soo i open only the upside door and dont have any problem whit the lil's bandits

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10. sorry for that huge pics i dont know how upload ...:p

11. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

you should have used pressure treated wood I don't know how long thats going to last spend a little more it will go a little farther.jmo

12. gar

gar Banned

I agree with you , theres an old saying " you get what you pay for" and theres another one " you buy cheap you buy expensive" i just dont understand that way of thinking ,to always try and save a few $ , cos in the end it costs you more than spending a few extra $ and it will last years longer , and thats with just about anything you can buy.When you see a mans yard setup and it looks good and he has spent some $ on it , with good quality kennels and puppy pens and whelping boxes , either bought or made by themselves but with out compromise on design or materials used to make them , you know that even if there more a peddler than a dogman , at least there doing it right.I am always so surprised to see a yard from dogmen who have good dogs , or upcoming dogmen , who just do the least possible in terms of good housing and whelping facilities ,and think that it dont matter , cos the dogs aint gonna be any gamer if there doghouse is a piece of shit or a good one , but the point is it shows how much you care about the care of your animals , and that means a lot .I know times are hard , but it seems to me that if you cant do it right then dont do it , or if you can only afford to do it right for 5 dogs , then dont have 30 dogs living in shit , do it right ,have some damn pride in your setup , just cos you live like a hillbilly dont mean your dogs want the same .This isnt directed at anyone in particular , but in general terms , it just seems that from feed to chain setups to doghouses to puppypens/whelping boxes , all most seem to wqrry about is how CHEAP they can do it for , i mean for godsakes guys if you think $300 on a whelping box is expensive what the hell are you keeping dogs for ?But you got plenty for a harley dont you, and that second truck , give me a break you mean sons of bitches .

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

that looks a bit sketchy, good luck with it.

14. i used but inside ... ;)

16. yeah i know but is the first time they i made a w.box :o , the next time will be better

17. zarna

zarna Big Dog

i just made a area in her dog run to have her pups 3 sides about a metre high and the front about 9 inches high so she can jump over in side i had a metal border around the edge so she couldnt squash her pups if she lays on them and suffocate them, it sits about 4 to 5 inches high and comes away from the sides about 4 to 5 inches works fine ! Rosie and Pup's 042.jpg

18. Tommy TWO

Tommy TWO Pup

if you use treated wood make sure its on the out side because its toxic to the dogs.you can build a box for less than a hundred dollars if you have some scraped wood laying around.

19. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I built 4 good boxes this year. Two out of treated and two not because they sit under an overhang from the barn. Ironically, the two that are treated those dogs don't chew on a bit. The two that aren't looked like they were a year old in the first two weeks. I do recommend letting the treated cure and dry out for a couple weeks though. If they would have carried dry-lock I would have used it instead.