1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

weighted collars and harnesses

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by tommy3, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Im not really sure what you are talking about but if you talking about comparing the way both dogs would look after conditioning one with collar and one without then yeah I would agree with you that you wouldnt find a impressing difference in how they look or compare to each other BUT if you talking about PERFORMANCE and how they both would perform after I would say there is a noticeable, significant amount of difference in there performance.

2. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

I think that you've just confused your self is all...I know that you've sure as hell lost a few of us here.

3. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

I think that post kinda proves how ppl jump to personal oppinion as fact. Most assume blues don't work, most assume something is wrong w/ weight colars even if they haven't used them, and some assume Black and Tans are mixed like the merles- most aggree they are mixed.

4. Bulldogs are natural born athletes and the only training they need is jumping,running and get a hold of something. Yes its true, I think they dont need the latest ,,methods,, to be better and maybe better then very good.....weights on the neck of a dog....lets try the same on his feeds...lol...ok every one has is own opinions and if you think weight-collars are a fine thing so be it. And last not least....please let me judge a little ....I know a little about the topic...Iam sure I know not as much as you but have mercy with me...

5. You know what? I have still my family and my 2 Bulldogs...I feel I will surwive....lol

6. i'm trying to make sense of that but it's hard. LOL i've already said good points were made on both sides. i've stated what i believe to be true as you have. no need to do a repeat post and beat a dead horse.

7. I saw so many beaten dead horses on this site...lol...one more or less who cares....BTW your dogs look fine^^

8. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

The main goal of a wt collar is to increase indurance. I've seen dogs conditioned without wt collars and with. I would never condition a dog for a hunt without a wt collar. To each his own, but its always worked for us. For the everyday ordinary dog, thats not in top physical condition, well it don't need to be hunting anyway, so I would agree for those dogs its not really good.

When I start a 6 week conditioning program on a dog. The 3.5 wt collar goes on and don't come off until 3 days from the show.

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=227822

9. and I thought I was talkin crap. Wait... I do :-P

10. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I feel like people have taken this thread way out of context and a lot of people have misunderstood what I was saying. Probably my fault. But, what I was trying to say is that I believe that weighted collars and harnesses can be used in a way that won't hurt the dogs and can actually be very beneficial. My point was that it isn't needed for the majority of dogs. It is unnecessary for a dog unless you are putting it through heavy competition such as world class weight pulling, or catching large game. Most people don't know what they are doing with it and they can end up hurting a dog that had no use for the extra weight in the first place. I just feel that it is absolutely unnecessary for most people to add the extra stress to their dog for the sake of pure exercise. What benefit would a lap dog get out of having 5 lbs on its neck? Absolutely none. So why the hell do people want to put their dog through it? That was my point.

If you have a dog that absolutely needs that extra edge to compete against the other dogs and you know exactly what you are doing, I think that it can be a great tool.

If your dogs are not going into world class competitions, they don't need the extra stress. Take the extra time and do some other forms of exercise. That extra weight you put on your dog will not benefit you or the dog. So what is the point??

11. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Working one we've been considering a weighted harness of some sort, simply for the fact, one, even two men (myself and my partner) can not get to so much as opening breaking a sweat after 10 miles off the chain. A dog needs to be pushed to its limits in training if you expect the same in the woods. Chances are, this particular dog will have enough wind for anything he will catch, but you need to prepare for the worst, no matter how confident you are. Its a bit late to start this keep with weights, however the next time he is shaped, I do believe we will experiment. I've never used them on one of my own, this dog is not mine, at the present. If he impresses us, and I have the room, he may be coming to our yard for the future, at which point I can step outside the box a bit. With someone elses dog, I'm not comfortable doing much diffrent then they have used with success. Doesnt leave much room for tweaking, outside nutrition, which is our main focus at this point, and the methods of which we choose to work him. If he was a housedog, or a dog which we could get tired after hours of sprints and jogging by a bicycle, I dont know if it would do much good, and probably more harm then good in all probabilitiy.