1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Want to start rescue but i need advice

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by prettyfulpitbull, Mar 5, 2006.

1. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

hi,ya all i am interested in startin a rescue but i need to know all about first.i don't want to get in over my head so can ya all help me?

2. •?•

•?• Pup

Hello,

I can not help you out with technical advice, but this is what I would do to start off.

1. Use google to look up information, regulations, and laws concerning your state.

2. Look for standards followed by other Pit/Pit friendly rescues.

3. Find a local rescue and ask them to come over and survey your land, to make sure it is sutable, along with your housing (for the dogs).

4. Start small, taking on to much at once can easily be overwhelming.

I hope that atleast a little of this helps.

I think that if done properly, a rescue is one of the best things you could do!

Take care

3. I think I got the best advice ever from people here on starting a rescue. I was advised to contact PBRC and other local rescues and foster for them first. This would build your reputation with the breed and show you have knowledge. While you are doing this you could be putting in your own paperwork and deciding what you need to change around your home to make a full blown rescue run smooth. Good luck to you and I hope this helps some.

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Are you talking about beginning your own shelter, or are you intrested in helping out existing shelters by providing extra space, and ultimately time for their dogs. The best way I could think of as to doing it would be to find a reputable shelter in your area, and tell them your dreams and volunteer your services so you can get an understanding of how the yard runs....as well as the office.

5. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Hi, I used to have the same dream. I wanted to start my own bulldog rescue. However, that idea quickly faded, & now I spend my time helping an already existing rescue in my area. Starting your own rescue is TOUGH. It takes years and hours of paperwork to become 501c(3) recognized. It is so easy to get in over your head, you have to be careful of what dogs you rescue, and what dogs you don't. You need a lot of experience with dogs- behavior, medical problems, breaking up fights, etc.

I say start fostering for an already existing rescue, and "build your rep" so to speak. Do some research on laws and regulations in your area, and see just what it takes to become a licensed rescue. Start finding trustowrthy friends who would be interesting in fostering for you. If you live in a more rural area and you have a good ammount of land, build a few kennels, some chain spots. That's the problem with the rescue I work with now. We have 10 acres of land, but not enough funds to build any more kennels. Build what you need first, then start taking in dogs. It'll save you a lot of grief. Right now we have 40 dogs at the rescue, and only enough kennel room for about 6.

Just recently, Hillsborough County AC conducted a raid on a pit bull "rescue" group owned by Alta King. There were 24 dogs living in shipping crates in a single wide trailer. The poor woman had a toddler living there as well. She's a good woman, but was cocky (& rather ignorant about the breed) and got in over her head. All but 11 dogs were euthanized right when the stepped into the AC shelter. The remaining dogs probably won't make it out. I don't want to discourage you, but I want to warn you that it is very easy to get in over your head.

Good luck :)

6. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

Thanks ya all for the advice.I think I would have to go through a shelter to foster.I can only take in one to two dogs at a time.But I do have kids a 1 yr.old and a 4 yr. old.Would this be a problem if I tried to foster?