1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Walking Poo?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pookie!, Feb 20, 2012.

1. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Okay let me start off by saying that Bear's poo is normal, very small (cat like) little poo's. I let him empty his bladder before we start our walks, and then take a poo as well..

But about 1 1/2 mile into our walk, he will stop on dime and start pooping right during the walk, it will be soft, very very soft and then we will keep going, thats odd to me, but now that we did like 5 miles today again he pooed TWICE during the walk, the first one being very soft and pudding like, then the second one on the way back, about the same distance that was not liquid but very close, little plops of poo..

Now I know its not because he has an upset stomach, his poo is fine otherwise. Like Sunday we only did 2 miles (he was "off" that day), and he didnt poo at all during the walk, but did before and it was compact and normal, then I made him poo again that night around 2am or so and it was normal.

He will probably be made to poo in a hour or so, and I am betting money it will be compact and normal.

I dont know if I am making this up, or if I read it somewhere but I think its just him trying to force everything out during the walk, whether he has to and if its ready to come out or not.. is that normal? I swear I saw it somewhere but not sure..

Its the weirdest thing, like he wants to be completely empty when we walk.. Oh he doesnt strain when doing those extra poo's either..

I just dont know what it is, and if I can stop it or what I should do.

As for feeding he normally gets 1 1/2 cup of TOTW PS kibble in the morning (or night depending on how I feel) and a raw meal at night (or morning depending on how I feel) and if anything he should have less poo because he is still being fed the same amount since before we started exercising, hell even a little less I think because I was cutting back to make him drop the rib fat..

I am kind of thinking I am going to write down what I feed and what order and see if that plays a part, but it is like every day he does it.. Its just bugging me..

Any help or whatever would be nice

2. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Edit: I guess I found out its normal, similar to the way it does with people runners.. so my question has changed a little, how do I get this to stop? Any ideas on what I could do, or if thats just going to be the way it is.. Thanks in advance!

3. I wouldn't ever try to stop it. Ridding the body of waste is a good thing. Trying to keep it in is never good. ;) The only time you want to stop pooping is if they have the squirts and that isn't really pooping LOL

4. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Lol that makes sense Boogie :) I am hoping once his body gets into the groove of exercising like we are he wont do it, if not oh well lol no more walking on the side walk for us though, he is going to ruin our route if we do :p

God I am so glad he has only had squirts one time lol he was disgusted with himself when he did that

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

The main purpose of the walking is so the dog empties out. That's what he is suppose to do on the walks, like boogie said its a good thing. I'd be mad if I had to walk that far to get them to shit lmao.

6. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

I have a bitch that does that every walk no matter if it is before or after having been fed or if she has already relieved herself of nice solid "mojones" as they are affectionately refered to in spanish. She will without fail use the same plot of desert more or less to shit out a loose plop. I never even gave it a second thought until I read this thread, but I am glad you found out it is normal for whatever reason. I have another bitch that is a more routine shitter and a long walk will not interfere with her routine unless the walk happens to be around the same time when she has programmend herself to shit.

7. Someone close to me has many years workin for a vet.So Im lettin them answer this one, just like humans, dogs get anxiety especially during an activity,as most all dogs go wild when they even see a leash, this is probly your case.Ever heard of Runner's Cramp? Your vet may rule other things along with a big bill. haha. Bottom Line is its a case of anxiety causes muscle cramps, stomach is a muscle, so anxiety needs to be treated and all else should follow. Most treat well wth valium as needed, don't want to knock him out just calm BEFORE muscles cramp.

8. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Thats true, just remember I never had a dog that would do that before. My last dog (corgi/Pit Bull type) would run with me next to a bike for over 2 hours and never would do that..
    Lol nah he will shit right after we get down the stairs from my house, empty his bladder as well, then 1/2-1mile later a soft poo, then 1/2-1mile later another plop lol
    I am going to cut down food because really if he is dropping it on the walks there is no reason to feed it because it going to waste anyway.

Today I ran him for 2-3 hours at the park on a long line and he poo'd one time, solid though, so I think cutting back 1/2-1 cup of kibble today and the day before helped.

Thats how he is! I can about call it when we walk because its in the same 5ft every time lol both times :p
    I just was wondering because I have never had a dog do that so I figured I would ask..

I dont think he has any anxiety at all, and he isnt allowed to go crazy at the sign of a lead or collar.. he doesnt get all crazy excited or act a fool when its time to go for his daily workouts.
    I also do not think its a muscle cramp at all, have you heard of Runners Trots or whatever its called in humans? Here is a link http://running.about.com/od/illnessesandrunning/ss/embarrassing_3.htm
    I have been a runner all my life and never heard of or had that, but I guess its not all that uncommon in humans, and from what I have been reading and been told by some people its probably whats going on with him, that and me over feeding a tad.
    I am telling you dude though, he has no anxiety at all, and if he had muscle cramps I am sure I would know, muscle cramps hurt, stomach cramps hurt, if he was shitting because of that there would be obvious signs of distress with him, and there are none.
    I am not giving my dog valium because of a "muscle cramp", thats ridiculous, no offense, but he has no anxiety and no cramps..

Thanks you all for your help and ideas :) Hopefully me cutting back on his food will help cut down on it a little, and if it still happens somewhat I guess I will just have to live with it lol doesnt bother him any!

9. Im glad to know that just cutting down on food could be all he needs. I know that when I run I get stomach cramps, everyone and every dog is different, you are right if he is not a hyper dog then my advise wouldn't apply to him that is usually in cases with dogs that really go nuts on the leash. That's how mine are, also same dogs that have 'anxiety' are also the ones that get shaky during a thunderstorm. You know your dog better than anybody else and go with what you think is best. I hope all works out in your and pup's favor. Always try the simplest cure first, when all else fails then you go to the extreme measures that I had suggested but only advised by your vet.

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Anxiety? LMAO, here we go again expert advice from a so called VET. LMAO.

To keep it short and simple any kind of excercise activities stimulates bowl movements.

Hence the reason why most do not shit while they are sleeping LMAO.

11. O no, please nobody on here think that I am a vet, I only know someone who WORKED for one, there has been times when they help me with advise, only someone else's opinion, they also give me advise to not EVER let my house dog eat table scraps. Ive tried to tell my dog that they say it's bad but he doesn't ever listen to them when there's a piece of steak being handed to him!!Haha.Please anyone reading this do not take advice to heart in medicating your dog it can turn bad to anyone at anytime,forgive me for letting them answer to everyone who can read this.

12. shoes

shoes Big Dog

I don't let my dog poop or pee on walks/runs. When we're moving, we're moving. I don't want her paying attention to anything but us on the move. As soon as we get home, she relieves herself in the yard.

13. You're ass backwards there. If you're not willing to stop along the walk then you need to make the dog go BEFORE not after.

14. Cadibuck

Cadibuck Big Dog

Well I'll be damned..another person that's gonna be dumb tomorrow.

15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I totally agree with Boogies advice.

Shoes lets say you had to use the toilet real bad , but instead I told you to hold it until you finished your 2-3 mile jog/run, how would you feel? LMAO

Its fricken common sense peoples, in which a lot of people do lack now days LOL.

16. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

"I let him empty his bladder before we start our walks, and then take a poo as well.."

Not like I let him take a shit on the walk, I think I stated that, he just starts going, not his fault he has to go. I give him a halfway pee break and then pee again when we get home, as Boogie said you need to empty the dog out as best you can BEFORE you start exercising.

I think it was over feeding that had something to do with it, yesterday I cut back feed and he poo'd one time while running at the park, solid like normal. Then today we ran for twice as long at the park and he didnt go at all! I did let him go before we left but that was all he did the whole time, and he ran for about and hour straight no issue.

17. StosMan

StosMan Big Dog

Another person who knows nothing about dogs. Pretty lame.

18. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

I mean, you would think its common sense.. before you exercise yourself or your dog, go empty out. I feel bad for the poor dog that has to hold itself that whole time..

19. shoes

shoes Big Dog

lol, I think you've all misunderstood. I don't live in an apartment where the dog doesn't empty out until we leave the house. She can empty out anytime she wants. Our walks/runs are routine, she knows when they're coming. She doesn't always have to go at the end of a run, but occasionally she will.

Pookie in your case, I was just pointing out that, especially since your dog goes before you start the walk, you might have success by just not allowing him to relieve himself while on the walk. It seems he may not really have to go anyway, it has become a matter of habit since he goes in the same spot every time and you know he's already emptied himself for the most part. I see no problem with requiring him to hold whatever's left for another 20-30 min. Give his muscles a chance to warm up and relax from the exercise. Not a guaranteed solution, just something you might try if you feel so inclined.