1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Update

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blueboy08, Dec 22, 2008.

1. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

This is an update on an earlier post about my 16month old blue pit bull BLue... i have since switched his food to Innova EVO Red Meat Large Bite Dry Dog Food i also make a "home cooked" meal for him once a week... i have also started running him everyday for about 45 min... we run around my apartment complex which includes hills... he has responded well gaining 5lbs in about 4 days bringing him to 87 lbs... i still would like to get him into weight pulling when he is aroung 30months does anybody know where i can purchase a weight pulling harness

2. Renee

Renee Big Dog

I've just started getting my APBT and my Fila involved in weight pull, and the group here is fantastic about loaning harnesses so you can get a feel for what kind/configuration/size is best for your dog. Check in your area and see if they aren't the same way. Everyone I've met so far has been extremely helpful and friendly.

3. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

Has he started playing more now that he's had a chance to settle in?

4. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

www.cdpits.com is the best for weight pulling harnesses.....87 pounds, sounds like a big boy............got pics?

5. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Myself , all APBT gear I reccomend StillWater's merchandise. He is a long standing member here at Game-Dogs and has some really nice stuff. http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/
    Although I a mnot sure if his harness's are designed for dogs that large....hit him up anyways and find out.

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

7. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

I love Cindy from CD pits' harnesses, my WP harnesses are from The Working Canine which is run by a lady named Missy.

8. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

bohawg he always was a playful dog he just didnt have the prey drive i expected... he dosent tug or shake when i offer him a pull toy...

hey andrew heres a link to my earlier post of him i havent had a chance to take new pics i will when i get home
    http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=303847#post303847

what do u guys think about the weighted harnesses ? if i get him one for when he is 24 months do u think that will help with muscle growth or hurt him ?

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

What are your goals with him? You can work on building drive but at that age you kind of know what you're working with. You have a bigger dog from unknown lines so it's hard to say how much muscle mass he can build genetically. You can condition a dog but genetics play a big part in how much muscle you can build. I think you are better off conditioning him by getting use to the harness (not weighted) then slowly adding weight, that will build muscle by it's self. Running, playing fetch, tread or slat mill is also a great workout.

He is old enough to pull so no need worry about growth plates. But to avoid pulling muscles you need to be smart how you start him off, not too much too fast. Good luck with him he looks like a nice dog.

10. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

Does he act disinterested in playing or does he just release when you try to tug (like he's being submissive to you)? The reason I ask is my female was like that.....oh she's gotten over it now but it took her a little while. If you want to see if the prey drive is there try a flirtpole.

11. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

with a stick he will release in a submissive way... but with rope toys he is not interested... im going to wait until the weather is better to set up a flirt pole... i now want to continue running him and correcting his diet... im not sure what they had him eatin but i think it was crap...