1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to further educate myself...

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Sabrina, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and somewhat new to these dogs. In the past two years I have learned quite a bit about the APBT. I have read a ton on the history, I have spoken with some old (not well-known) dogmen and I have a few books by the author Richard Stratton.

I currently have an APBT mix named Bransen who is two years old, along with two cats. We are (hopefully) also adopting a 4 year old Boston Terrier next month.

Anyways,
    I signed up on this forum to learn more about the American Pit Bull Terrier, specifically bloodlines and breeders.

In the distant future I would really like to go to a good breeder and obtain some well-bred dogs from good stock. I would ideally like to purchase a pair of siblings, the bitch I would have spayed and the male would be left intact. (Maybe bred to the right bitch if proven, maybe not)

I have been looking into different breeders/bloodlines and trying to decide what I would like, what is better quality, etc...

Okay, so I just wanted to kinda post what I have learned and see if those more experienced could give me any advice, pointers, etc.

Please don't laugh at me, I am pretty new to this and I am still learning!

Okay....

I read a lot about the Colby bloodline, Lou Colby is the best place to get these dogs today, correct?
    I know that Colby is a very famous bloodline, and while the dogs are nice they don't exactly "do it" for me, y'know. I also was reading how John P Colby was one of the first dogmen to "open his circle" and sell dogs to the general public.

I was also reading about Floyd Boudreaux and his bloodlines, his dogs are definitely some of my favorites. The Eli dogs are very impressive.

I have also read a bit about Tom Garner and his dogs which are also quite nice. I have heard that Garner dogs are quite game.

I found one (newer, I think) breeder who has some very nice dogs that are Eli/Chinaman.

So that's what I have learned so far.

2. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Out of the three you've named I would take a dog from Floyd over anybody but that's just me. If you have some old dog men local, that's the very best place for you to learn and acquire dogs. They know their stock. Wish I had a few more old timers around me that weren't real well known. These days being known isn't a good thing.

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

Haha, I have come to learn this as well!

The thing is all of those that I know that were into pit dogs in the past are all settled down now and no longer "into that sort of thing" I have asked about quality breeders but sadly most of the locals are long gone.

I live in Canada (BC) so I assume that they are just less common here. Most of the breeders I have spoken with/looked into are in the states so I know that when I do decide to get my dog(s) I will probably have to drive down there, but that's alright.

4. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

It's just as hard to find honest bred dogs here if you don't know anybody. Some members here are from Canada and they have good dogs. Maybe you'll get lucky and meet some.

5. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

I know what you mean.

Honestly, you would puke in your mouth a bit if you saw the "APBTs" that are produced in my area these days.

I may be only 17 with two years of experience in the dog world, but I know a crap-peddling ignoramus when I see one. Everyone brags "AKC registered APBTs" like that means something. :rolleyes:

I hope I do get lucky and come across some good dog enthusiasts from the north, that would be great.

6. duckmike

duckmike Big Dog

Just a question for you.You do realize that if you get the kind of dog you're looking for in this post that you won't be-able to let your other dogs or cats around it?Good-luck on your quest you're headed in the right direction by taking your time asking questions and by being skeptical

7. There are actually some very very nice dogs and breeders in Canada.

8. i have to agree with that

9. In order to help you, my question would be, what are you wanting to do with the dogs once you get them?

Show, weight pull, agility, therapy, pets?

10. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

Okay.... haha, thanks for all the replies!

duckmike - Yes, I realize this. I won't be getting these other dogs for a long time, after the pets I have now are gone. (as sad as it is to think about)

BoogiemanBlood - The dogs would mainly be pets/compainions but I would like to get the dogs into weight pull, flyball and possibly hunting.

11. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

Credit were credits due, if all the Newbies would come onto this site with this attitude and thought life would be easier.

Well done Branson.:dogkiss:

12. Well while I mean absolutely no disrespect to any of the breeders you mentioned, (Floyd doesn't have any APBT's that I know of, now he is into patterdales now) I sure think there's plenty of fine folks out there to get a dog from without paying the ridiculous price they charge.

Go to some shows and get to know some folks. See what dogs YOU LIKE vs what you read about on the net and what others like. Interact with folks and see their dogs in person. You'd be surprised how nice MOST of the folks at shows are and how willing they would be to talk to you about their dogs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
  13. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

junkyard - Thank you very much!

Boogieman - That is exactly what I plan on doing. I have to as many people as I know (parents friends, etc) who owned nice dogs in the past to see if they could point me in the direction of a good breeder or two. Or anyone who might know one! haha

I want to work on becoming a dog trainer (my sister is getting her groomers license, we may start a business someday) and I would love to start going to shows.

For now I still have to finish school, work with the dog I have (as well as the dog we are getting) and learn, learn, learn as much as possible!

14. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

U sound like u have a good head on ur sholders and not lien like most that come in here u might get lucky and meet the right ppl and from there it would b a lot easie. Best of luck buddy.

15. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

Thanks, deadgam33. :)

16. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Floyd B. has both APBTs and Patt Terriers.

17. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i do not believe this to be so....and as far as your plans on obtaining and spaying and breeding down the road...don't spay the female....if one has to be spayed/neutered let it be the male....then breed the female to the very best male you can find/afford and go from there....the other combination will pretty much lead you nowhere...US1

18. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I know what i know and its no need to argue about it.

19. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

I haven't decided yet, but if I were to breed at all it would be in partner with a more experienced breeder.

20. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

If I were you I would start with an adult. That way you know what you have and what to expect.