1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

too stafford or not too staford

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by 7mmrowland, May 18, 2012.

1. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Some say these dogs were assigned a name in 1935 as a breed to separate them from pits then someone said they disappeared in the 1935 and resurrected in the 1970 then disappeared in the 1980's again! WTF ??
    maybe the breed was run by coke heads during there recolonized time of gamness???

2. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

if you kiss enough ass youll choke on shit!!!!!this is 2012 not 1980, people who know shit breed in front of them, there is members here that if told the 1970's called and want there dogmen back they would answer and say hello here i am!!!
    Hey if you dont have a Stafford that isnt worth a shit, cull as necessarily and try again!! Dont be like the APBT peeps and keep repeat breading just because!!

3. jt ellison

jt ellison Big Dog

There are also people here who kept staffords in the seventies and also worked them , they also saw the dogs from the past which were game which were not those that had true pedigrees and those that did not . The gamedog was one breed until the early 1900s when a number of breeders decided to peddle pups for sale and sought out KC recognition for these dogs and created the Stafford , these dogs were bred from the same stock used in the USA for fighting only were bred for show and not gameness . For the next hundred years people with no understanding of gameness created a breed we know as the stafford , whilst in trhe USA they created the American Gamedog , after a hundred years two distinct breeds have been created , add the fact most American Gamedog strains had existed near a hundred years before the stafford was ever thought about , now just a few generations can ruin a breed or sometimes just one generation if outside or non game blood is added , so after over a hundred years of indiscriminate breeding we thankfully have two seperate breeds . During the last eighty years that the stafford has been recognised by the KC no breeder has tested there stock or bred for gameness thats a fact , i have heard all the twaddle about the men who first registared the breed and met people that knew them and saw there dogs , these men did lightly work dogs but didnt cull and bred from dogs that quit or were untested , they were show people first and foremost . During the last eighty years various breeders have worked staffords but it was only with the intrest in dogfighting that resurfaced in the late seventies that we began to understand gameness and breeding and conditioning more and realised the shite the stafford people had been talking for years , some of them learned from the Yanks and began to take on board some of the understanding and fitter dogs began to be seen at shows , others just stuck there heads in the sand and spoke about American Gamedogs being bred from Staffords when in fact it was the opposite , were the British ruined the dogs and the Yanks perfected them , we created the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and they created the American Gamedog

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Thats what Iv been trying to say for ages ..the SBT was a show dog developed from fighting dogs and been bred for show and nothing else since the 1930s, then when dog fighting became popular again in the 1970s , individual dogs who proved to be game where used to develop certain strains ..in Ireland it was the Dublin reds, Psycho, O'Flynn, Northford,etc...and these are what people call Irish Staffords, other strains ware developed in the UK, but when the APBT came to these isles the serious sporting people soon changed to the APBT as they seen a better all round dog...

5. R-M-C

R-M-C Pup

If joe mallen and co. had not looked for kc recognition or anyone else for that matter, what state would the pit dog,pit bull,staff,stafford,staffie, irish staff blah blah be in today? would we be still in the same situation or different? hard one to call in my opinion.

6. I don't think the situation would be much different because very few people matched their dogs! There would probably be a lot less dogs about( when I was growing up in the 60s and early 70s I hardly saw a bull type dog) but in terms of ability or gameness if the dogs are not tested or matched then their standards drop.

7. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

I think it would have been better if the KC and people into shown them , had nothing to do with them...their shape has changed so much by the show people that the KC version is nothing but a toy dog

8. blanch

blanch Big Dog

I think if we didn't have the KC to protect Staffords then people in this country would find it harder to own similar breeds.