1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

tombstone

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by mutt, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mutt

mutt Pup

what you guys think about tombstone

2. planecrazy

planecrazy Big Dog

I haven't had any Tombstone blood personally but I'm very interested in it. When I lived in Arizona I really wanted to visit Pat Patrick's yard to see his Moloney line but I never got a chance :(. Percentage wise I don't think they dominate in the fast lane at least presently. Although the Patrick/Eli crosses seem to nick well together.

I'm a big fan of the OFRN history and ever since I read Richard Stratton's article entitled "Touched By Fire" in the Gazette I have been interested in pure Tombstone dogs. Stratton say's: "Most of my dogs are down from Grand Champion Hope, who was sired by the immortal Tombstone. Most of the dogs that I have had turn out well for me were down from Tombstone. So that means I have gotten away from the original OFRN dogs, right? Well, not exactly. You see, Tombstone was mostly OFRN breeding, top and bottom. The immortal Black Widow, for example, was three quarters OFRN, even though she herself was black in coloration. And she was Tombstone’s paternal grand dam, while his mother was very heavy red nose. Tombstone’s influence has been mighty all across the country, and this is all the more remarkable when it is considered how few times he was bred as compared to so many other vaunted sires. Recently some fine dog men who were natives of Mexico brought a descendent of Tombstone’s for me to see. I was thunderstruck when they got the dog out of the van. Before my eyes was an absolute reincarnation of the Old Family Red Nose dogs I had seen back in Wallace’s place (and those of other dog men, too) back in the 50s. The dog was Mexico's Champion Boiler, a three-time winner, and when I saw video..., I was all the more enchanted. His style was exactly that of the old dogs. Take them where they want to go, but keep the mouth from doing any damage. Wear them down, all the while laying on damage, a bit at a time. And Boiler had exactly the same intelligence and attitude of the old dogs. The visit was so striking for me that it inspired this article. I am frequently asked about the OFRN dogs. A lot of people want a pure dog of that strain. Well, the original strain was an amalgamation of several lines, including Colby (from Tige’s sire, among other sources), so I often am overly literal by saying that I don’t know of any pure lines left. But the fact is that these dogs are still around. There are still breeders that specialize in them. The challenge is to find the ones which are quality bred. Bob Wallace used to refer to the red nose as a 'badge of courage', and he mentioned friends that referred to them as 'traffic stoppers.' I’m like Lightner in that I didn’t like the looks of them when I first saw them, but some of Bob’s enthusiasm rubbed off on me. There really is something special about the line. I’m not trying to say they are the best, but they are as good as the best. Sometimes it seems as though they truly were touched by a big of magical fire." (Spring 2001 Gazette p. 11)

So my question is...Does anyone know anything about Ch. Boiler of Mexico?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2004
  3. O.D.

O.D. Big Dog

WELL SINCE PURE TOMBSTONE IN THIS DAY IN AGE IS RARE IF NOT UNHEARD OF, I GUESS THAT DEPENDS ON IF YOU GIVE THE BOLIO/TOMBSTONE CROSS ANY CREDIT, BECAUSE IT HAS DEFINITELY MADE ITS MARK PARTICULARLY WHEN CROSSED WITH THE REDBOY/JOCKO STUFF, THEN AGAIN I GUESS THAT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT IS WORKING IN THAT AREA.

O.D.

4. planecrazy

planecrazy Big Dog

I give Bolio blood a lot of credit in fact that's what I'm pertaining to when I said Patrick/Eli crosses. I would be proud to have anything from Garner's Frisco ROM.

5. i must agree that bolio/tombstone is a great bloodline, i myself have bolio/nigerino, i am currently getting ready to breed my bitch to a tombstone/corvino/mayfield stud. should throw some good pups they will be born around the first of march, ready by april 20 or so. There will aalso be two more breedings this year that should throw some good pups, one will be the same stud to a bolio/o stevens and the other will be banjo/tombstone to a nigerino/o stevens they won't be ready if breeding takes until mid to late 2005.

6. I have a 1yr old Male Tombstone X Aligator. He's Awesome! ! ! ! ! His Grandad was probably the only Pure Tombstone in the North of New Zealand and his mother was from Pure aligator lines. Cheers. Sam.

7. thall28

thall28 Big Dog

Have a pup that's bolio/tombstone on the top side and jeep/redboy/rascal on the bottom. He's a fiery little thing

8. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

plenty have made their lives in dogs with Tombstone blood and its been part of the best cross ever in the breed IMO: Bolio x Tombstone, try and beat that one

9. bestia

bestia Big Dog

I think a lot of the famous Patrick Bolio dogs have more Tombstone than is on paper.

10. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Bolio x Tombstone is a proven cross with just about anything!IMO

11. Congoman

Congoman Big Dog

I think Redboy/Jocko was the best cross ever. Not the watered down crap either.

12. jumper3202

jumper3202 Big Dog

Ive seen some Tombstone bolio alligator hounds very game

13. gar

gar Banned

Don mayfield always said that he was sure that tombstone was out of toot and baby, and not the gina female.don maloney had a deal with earl tudor, that all the pups out of his pure females were to come back on his yard and not to be sold , as maloney had baby on his yard at the time, and infact later on fell out with earl over his double dealing and earl stoped dealing with him.thats why mayfield thought theres no way tombstone was out of the gina female , and infact in an audio tape of a conversation between mayfield and maloney , which i have (mayfield taped hundreds of conversations with all dogmen from carver to tudor) and on the tape maloney when asked about the breeding tells don , "well don its out of baby " but later on goes back to his story about gina ,and thats the reason mayfield sold the dog as he was never able to be 100% sure ,eventhough he was sure baby was the dam, he unlike many other dogmen in his time and today , wanted to be sure how a dog was bred , and so sold tombstone to pat patrick cheap, with the previso that he could match him one more time , and also in the hope that in the mean time he could find out for sure how tombstone was bred.of course pat patrick like many dogmen then and today , are not always to be trusted , and never kept to his deal and never did send tombstone back .i also have a tape of mayfield talking to a man from arkansaw, from around the late 80s or early 90s , and that man said that at the time gina was supposed to have been whelping the litter with tombstone , she was on another mans yard , and of course don wasnt surprised as hed know all along tombstone was a purer bred dog than his ped showed.

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i would prob say redboyjocko is number with bolio/tombstone in second
    but why compare them when u could cross them;)
    thats where the magic really began