1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

To those that hit their dogs.....

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by tommy3, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

There is absolutely no reason to ever hit your dogs. I have heard so many times that a pit bull must fear you and all this other bull. If you hit your dog as a way of punishment, it is abuse and it is unnecessary. A dog won't respect you if you hit it, it will be scared of you which can lead to many problems including aggression, elevated stress, and it definitely will negatively affect the training as a result. It does not help it in any way.

A dog wants to please you and it will gladly do what you want it to do if you learn how to communicate your intentions to the dog in a way that it will understand. Hitting your dog will not accomplish this. You bought a dog, take responsibility and do research on ways to properly raise a dog.

Also, if you are housebreaking your dog and it pisses in the house, it is YOUR fault, not the dogs. It is a puppy and it does not know it did wrong. If it does know it did wrong, it went on the floor because your dumbass didn't take it out on time. Accept your responsibility and take the dog out OFTEN.

I just got in an argument with an old friend of mine concerning these very problems and he didn't want to hear me correct him on it. His girlfriend was bragging to me how he beat the shit out of his 8 week old puppy for pissing on the floor. Not to mention, he argued to me about pit bull's jaws locking. I have been close friends with him for 13 years and I had no idea he was that ignorant. Honestly, he is cut off from here on out. I won't have anything to do with an ignorant piece of shit that hits puppies. Especially when you are too ignorant to listen to advice.

Sorry Sam, hopefully when you read this regarding your training methods and bullshit ideas regarding these dogs, you will get the point. By the way, happy birthday. This is why I won't come your party tomorrow night.

Rockstar, LuvinBullies, idgie and 4 others like this.
  2. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

I know how u feel man i just found out how ignorant my brother is he's trying to breed his red nose to a blue nose hoping for blue nose puppies just to sell them(only the blue is registered).

Also i know what ur getting at with the hitting thing i have never hit my dog an he does everything i tell him to do rather its stop barking at another dog or thing, or if its to talk(i know very odd lol but when i tell my dog to speak he does a howling thing as if hes talkin to me, seen it in a movie got bored tryed it an well yea moving on...). But i know a few people that put the dogs face in the pee and spank it and it anoys me but thats some peoples choice of method of training the dog or what ever but they dont get the fact that it is a puppy an it isent outside so it dosent know its not supposed to use the bathroom there just like when we were babys i dont think our parents rubbed our face in our diapers or where ever we used the bathroom an spanked us(or atleast hope that dosent happen to some people lol).

3. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

good reminder, people that beat their dogs are usually the ones who are surprised that they turn on them. A little correction is ok, such as a hard pat that gets their attention, but not actually striking the dog. Thats a good recipe for a fear biter. Sounds like your friend is willingly ignorant, some people hate to be confused with the facts.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  4. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

There is a difference between a stern pop on the rear and "beating" a dog. I think people who literally "BEAT" their dogs should be smashed sevearly about the head and face in front God and everyone. That is a sure fire way to end up with a HA dog or a FB dog.

5. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

well yea a pop is different then holding its head down an beating it while it crys or etc ..

6. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I have 3 rescue pups in my home right now and let me tell you there is a real peefest going on. Try getting 3 pups outside in time when they all have a different schedule cause they are all different ages LOL
    Thank God for Simple Solution or I would have to burn my house down.
    Housetraining is my forte and let me tell you if you want to spend months training a pup not to pee in the house just hit them and I don't think a dog trained with fear is ever as well trained as one who is trained correctly. They learn nothing but to fear you....my method is to tell them no no no potty on my floor go potty outside...then we go outside and trust me anytime they go potty outside I throw a mini party. Lots of praise.

BoogiemanBlood likes this.
  7. ok i know this may sound silly, but folks when it comes to house training, it this easy right here! (refering to post above)

the praise will do 50x more good than one time of beating them ever will.

phebes, this is exactly how i house train. adding, pups not being played with are crated, and taken out every 4 hours. yes even during the night. ;) water intake is also limited. water in, you can be they will go in a few minutes. food in....same thing.

tommy: good thread!

8. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

Great post Tommy3. I know exactly how you feel. 5 years ago I found out a kid had a litter of pups from his BYB operation. Come to find out, he couldn't get rid of the pups so I went to his house and told him I was taking 2 before he give them up to the local shelter. I told him I wasn't going to give him any money and told him to stop breeding them as well. He didn't have much to say, I think he was surprised that a stranger showed up at his house. I gave one to my uncle and the other to a friend of mine. Uncle spoils his dog by the way, the damn dog sleeps between him and his wife on their tempurpedic bed every night! Well my friend's laziness led to the dog not being housebroken and he would beat her and throw her around. I found out about it and I was pissed. I yelled at him and I didn't talk to him for a while. So I took the dog from him and gave it to another friend who fell in love with the dog and now spoils the crap out of her. She's now housebroken. Amazing what a little bit of effort can do for your dog.

9. jeff, "effort" is the key word in there buddy! good for you! it's amazing how ppl think they will just learn it by them telling it to them. like understand english? i mean wtf? pretty simply put, IMO any dog not housebroke is because of pure laziness or lack of knowledge on how to do it right.

10. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I guess I lucked out with my house dog. I locked her out of the bedroom one night and I got up at like 5am to piss and stepped in a hot pile right in front of my br door. I was a mad mofo to say the least. I yelled at her and made her spend the day outside. She hasnt pooed in the house since. Shes not your average dog though. Ive invested countless hours getting her to where shes at today at 7 yrs old. She does ANYTHING I tell her to. Shes smarter than alot of people I know... ;)

11. lol that goes the same for my dogs! i mean ALOT too! lmao

12. Chopper

Chopper Big Dog

same here lol, but hopefully no one will quote me after this cuz it will go on for days.

13. Michele

Michele Guest

Everyone i'm sure knows how I feel about abusing a dog.

Great post Tommy. I'm gonna pray for your ex-friend's dog. As far as your ex-friend is concerned, things have a way of coming back to bite you on the ass...:) he'll get his....

14. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

OdoBan works really well too.We use it in the kennels.Its fairly cheap too,you can get the concentrated solution at sams club or just a spray bottle full at wal mart.

15. Phebes

Phebes Guest

Yep a crate is a wonderful thing.....I am really sick of seeing my yard at 4 am LMAO

16. Suki

Suki Guest

There aren't too many things i despise in life but humans who hit, beat or abuse their animals ranks tops on my list here. Hitting an animal for any reason, imo, is just displaced anger, a sign and yeah a red flag to me, that the OWNER has serious "issues", and that they're the ones needing the help and NOT the animals.! [​IMG] !!!
    i will always think that being kind, patient and even soft spoken will get far better and WAAAAY more positive results than ANYTHING negative ever could. If you can't control your anger in regards to your animals, then as far as i'm concerned, drive your car over a cliff! [​IMG] and yes, with YOU in it!
    GREAT post Tommy and kudos to you for sticking to your guns. you have my deepest respect. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  17. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

This part put a lump in my throat. Both of those folks are lunatics. I hate to hear a lil pup scream and I just know that poor lil guy was helpless and screaming while the person who is SUPPOSED TO BE HIS LIFELINE was beating him...:( That is really upsetting.

Dante did get a pop on the ass as he was running away with my sausage biscuit in his mouth yesterday morning because as a 3 year old he knows better (I think), but the end result was him scarfing it down anyway and me laughing at my own idiocy for leaving such a temptation unguarded. He had the audacity to finish it in the next room and return to me within 2 mins for some love while still licking his chops. So he got the biscuit and made a sucker outta me.:) The pop on the butt was moot and frankly didn't do a damn thing so I might as well have just stomped my foot. I shouldn't have left the damn thing out. ;)

Good show, Tommy. If I can think of any good reasons to cut a friend off, this is a good one. I've done it for less. No loss to you. Great thread, and let's hope that pup is alright from here on out.

18. You are 101% right.
    If somebody hits a puppy because he has urinated or has got dirty the carpet or has broken something or all the same why .... then he is a poor complete idiot. OK I become angry, my carotid artery swells in .... now I will not write further. Later.:mad:

19. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I guess I am just old school but I will tell y'all right now I spank my dogs. I do not beat them, but I do spank them if they need it. Puppies will get a loosely rolled newspaper on the butt & my adults will get a switch on the butt.

They only get correction if they knew what they were supposed to do & willfully disobeyed or if they did something they knew they were NOT supposed to do & did it anyway.

I have never ever had a dog become frightended of me, although they are scared of the rolled paper or the switch. I have a dog showing out all I have to do is speak to them. If I tell them "If you keep on, I'm going to get the switch" & all of a sudden they become little angels. Go figure. lol.

IMO the key is correcting at the right time for the right infraction. Spanking a puppy for peeing on the carpet when it isn't even housebroken to me is silly. But spanking a dog who is willfully marking in the house & who IS housebroken & who knows fully well it should be peeing outside to me is entirely reasonable.

(ducking now ...)

20. No need to ducking because I know you would never hit a puppy that way this morron did it.:)