1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

This one's fun

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fritz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> The Seventies again:

I had a vice. I mean one more on top of whatever other vices I had. I enjoyed an occasional cigar. Sometimes I’d buy them and other times I’d shoplift them from my local supermarket. I got caught and arrested. I had to call Steinberg. There was no one else. He said later he was tempted to let me stew a few days but didn’t because there was no one else to care for the dogs he’d sold me.

He bailed me out and laughed and laughed when, at his fetching me from the hoosegow, I declared with some bravado that “Crime doesn’t pay.” On the way to his driving me home to my yardful, he told me this juicily gossipy story of Pat Patrick's having been arrested for shoplifting as well. It seems young Al had been gorging on candy while shopping and neglecting to pay on the way out. I’m not sure which is the worst vice, tobacco or sugar, but if you’re caught stealing either of them, the consequence is the same: you call Arnie Steinberg to bail you out.

Any of you other criminals have foibles? Ha.

2. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

I admit I had to google "foibles."

3. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Correction:

"It seems young Al had been gorging on candy..."

It should have read -- " It seems young Patrick had been gorging on candy..."

I lifted the story out of another bit of writing in which I had portrayed Pat Patrick as Al Alberts, hence the confusion.

A writer's foibles.

4. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

I could just as well have written "small embarrassments" instead. I've always liked the word "foibles," though, for the appealingly goofy sound of it. The word "scruples" has a goofy sort of sound to it too. We all of us have our foibles and scruples, of course, and where would we be without them?

5. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Huh, who would of thought that HAVING these dogs would get you BAILED OUT. LMAO!

6. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

Yes sir, I hold them at the same high esteem as my successes. So that being said, I will not speak poorly of them :)

7. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Wisely and cleverly put. :)

8. amistad

amistad Big Dog

One time in band camp

9. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Gardening.

10. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I've always liked to use words that sort of created an image of their meaning when used. Words such as "wherewithal". Always liked scruples, affinity and propensity as well. LOL Some words just seem to create more poignancy and are more graphic when stressing a point or trying to create interest. At least, we feel so when we write them.

"Foibles", I rarely use, but it's a damned good word. Very illustrative, yet not often used to do so. It should be. It has an almost comedic quality to it. I would say it's very "Clouseau". HAHA

11. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

I never use "foibles" unless I'm in a silly or ridiculous mood. Odd how words seem to have personalities of their own, some lyrical, some percussive, some downright mystical. My favorite of all is the word "insouciance," both for its sound and meaning.

A pity we lost Peter Sellers as early as we did. I'm not sure whether he played Clouseau or actually was Clouseau.

12. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Yes. Some words certainly do all of that. Call some one who tries to act cool "insouciant" and see their reaction. HAHAHA

If you saw Peter Sellers in an old movie from the sixties called "The Party", in which his character was other than Clouseau, you'd swear he was actually like that. He was one of a kind.

13. keystone

keystone CH Dog

second that one

14. keystone

keystone CH Dog

the party lol.................

15. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

He was always terrific, but I liked him best in Lolita.

16. keystone

keystone CH Dog

right ...did not see it ....lol......

17. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....the tricks one do's to fool the shop cop...when we were kids i would pick up something from the shelf and as the shop cop was watching what i was doing with the item in my hands my friend would be filling my pockets...ya would shop lift some silly things...