1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about it...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by crunK, Feb 7, 2005.

1. crunK

crunK Pup

Direct me to a pitbull shelter within 30 miles from my house please. The insurance covers up to $1000 dollars of health problems, if it costs more than $1000 then I will pay for it, don't worry about my dogs, if you don't believe its a APBT, then I wouldn't be hurting your breed. As for food, I can afford to pay for 10 dogs food if I wanted to, its only what 8 dollars a big ass bag? My current pitbull puppy is well fed, want to see a picture? Give me a message. You are not giving advice, you're questioning me if I can handle taking caring of a animal, and I don't need it, please whore off my thread and go flame someone else. You don't have to believe me but I drove all the way to downtown Houston and went to the Houston Public Library just to find breed books and puppy books to learn about the APBT and taking care of a dog, I am determined to take care of my animals if I get them, I'm 19 almost 20 I'm pretty grown up and know how to make my own decisions and take care of my own responsibilities. Thank you.

2. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

just go to your local humane society and ask them, iam pretty sure they should have some or send to to some place that have some...

3. crunK

crunK Pup

I've checked, seems like everyones taking care of their apbts! :D

Theres none.

4. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

search this forum more about rescue dogs... i remember seeing someone posts a website that has all the rescue pitbulls... its like a link that connects you to all the rescue dogs all over the states... just search the forum and check it out, you should find it, it wasnt that long ago... and are you still planning to get that dog you said you were... well whatever descision you make, good luck...

5. crunK

crunK Pup

Thank you jeep, I will look into more of the rescue centers. Most likely yes I will get it, but whatever happens, everything will turn out good. I have another no papered apbt and she is the best dog I've ever had, quite alot of energy and loves to have fun. That is the main reason I decided to take in another one, and mines need a friend, thats why I want a puppy so they can grow up together.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  6. crunK

crunK Pup

Some what good news guys, I've talked to the seller, and she informs me that she is a certified vet tech and actually does research before buying (has 2 other adult pitbulls), she told me that both the parents of the pup is AKC registered as AM Staffs (possibly isn't approved by you guys) but that is no problem with me, she tells me that the pup would of costed her $600 with AKC registered papers for the liter, instead of the $200 she paid for. Whether this may be true or not, this is defiantly good news for me. She also tells me that his parents were stocky and somewhat short (muscular) which is AKC AM Staff material, and she did a hearing and sight test on him to make sure he doesn't have any issues like being deaf (because he is solid white) I will also going to check out the puppy when they bring it and look for skin problems and bone structure as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  7. Vador

Vador Big Dog

Cool crunk...no matter what, the dog needs a home better a responsible one then a irresponsible one.

8. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

yea thats true, its going to cost more if you want to register the dog... i would, but thats totally up to the owner... good luck with the dogs and keep us posted...

9. Crunk,

Just a thought and I'm not saying I have anything against the dog you are considering. You said you had young kids correct? If not then nevermind this whole post, but here are my thougts. You may want to consider adopting an older dog from a rescue because that way you already have a feel of the dogs temperment and how they are with kids. I realize that pups raised with kids are generally good with kids but are your kids going to be good with a puppy? Younger children don't realize that something that they are doing to the pup might be causing it pain or even causing a behavioral issue further on down the road. If you get a dog from a good rescue, I don't mean your local shelter, you have a very good chance of finding a dog that is mature and meshes well with your family. If it were me I would be very concerned about the temperment of any dog I was considering placing in the same enviroment as my children. Just think about rescue I promise there are good dogs in rescues. Good luck, I hope you make the right decicion for your family!

Jana

For recues in your area check out.... www.pbrc.net

10. Vador

Vador Big Dog

Good point toohot. But if there is a good parental unit consisting of ground rules and supervision as well as consistency then chances are it will turn out well allowing that for some odd reasons there are underlying behavioral problems. The goal is to have all pits adopted by good knowledgeble people, and those that are should never be questioned. Just by joining this site your a step ahead crunk

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I work w/our pitbull rescue...American Pit Bull Terrier Rescue-Louisiana. Got to www.petfinder.com type in dog, pit bull...LA & click on pic preview. Check it out if actually considering adoption. Fees range from $75-125 which is more of a donation, but we aren't trying to recoup losses w/these funds, just bail out additional apbts from area rescues.

12. dora

dora Big Dog

i agree you have to becareful it might be mix...i know i have staffy/boxer pups which most of you know....and 3 of them look like that one..so becareful sometimes you can't tell...the first 2 pics are my lexie, the white with the solid black nose with a brown spot on top of her head is a female and the white with the eye patch is the male and he is hugh he is built like his grandpa...so you do have to becareful...

Attached Files:

13. hawk

hawk Big Dog

don't worry about my dogs, if you don't believe its a APBT, then I wouldn't be hurting your breed.
    First off when did I say it was not an APBT? I did not even open your pics I was just reply to the text. You started this thread I didn't I am just giving you my opinion. And you will learn with this breed that when anything happens pure bred or not the APBT is blamed.

I can afford to pay for 10 dogs food if I wanted to, its only what 8 dollars a big ass bag?
    Please do more research on nutrition everyone here will tell you this stuff is junk.

you're questioning me if I can handle taking caring of a animal, and I don't need it
    If you feel I was coming down on you that was not the intention. I was giving my opinion on the thread that YOU started. It's not like I pm'd you a just started questioning you.

You don't have to believe me but I drove all the way to downtown Houston and went to the Houston Public Library just to find breed books and puppy books to learn about the APBT and taking care of a dog
    Why wouldn't I believe you. When I was in my early 20's I had a subscription to the SDJ and the Gazette for two years before I even owned an APBT. I had all of Stratton's books and was on the waiting list for the forth. My phone bill around that time was around $150 a month just from calling breeders in the SDJ trying to learn more about them. I did this all before I owned one I think everyone should research why do you think I would doubt you went to the library.

All I ever suggested to you if you read my post was that if you don't care about papers then check into a rescue. I think it's funny that you thanked Jeep for this suggestion in post #44 that you should check into rescue centers when I suggested that on my 1st post #10. And the other thing I brought up was the hidden financial costs in owning a dog and the only reason I mentioned that was because you discussed how strapped you were at the moment.

14. crunK

crunK Pup

What will it be blamed for? My dogs are inside dogs, and in my city and I'm pretty sure the whole state of Texas, requires a leash on a dog whenever its outside being walked. Sorry I ignored your suggestion about the rescue, I did do research on it and there were only Boxers in my area up for adoption, but probably like 1 apbt which is already too big. What do you give your dogs as food?

15. dora

dora Big Dog

crunk i will have to agree with everyone here you don't need a dog...my god....like you said

whats to say you won't have a bad week next week or the one after that...hell you live with your parents what about when you decide to move...it is hard to find places that allow pets...then what happens to the dog , your only 18 yrs old ...i think you need to get your life established before you decide to take on a major responcibility like owning a animal...irresponcible people is what started animal shelters....hell if your that lonely you need companion find you a boyfriend or a girlfriend...think of the animal before you think of yourself....that is the problem with some people especially younger generation you all think it is cool to own a pit...but that is all it is....they are like babys you have to take care of them and nurture them...and keep them out of harms way.....don't add another animal to the shelters list!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2005
  16. crunK

crunK Pup

I'm starting to wonder if you even read all the posts before you posted this, I said I was 19 almost 20 and why would my dogs go to the animal shelter they are inside dogs and when I walk them I use a chain leash so they can't get away from me, When I take them outside to potty I'm always there watching until they finished, I have an established life, I drive a very nice car, I have a girlfriend, I go to college, I live with a family that will help me with any financial problem if I go to them about it. I don't get pitbulls because I think they're "cool", thats not the thing at all, I don't take them outside my house and show them off or tell anyone "HEY I HAVE A PITBULL!" , I think of my puppys like if they are my real friend and they're not capable of taking care of themselves, so I have to take care of them. They stay inside, they are never alone outside unless if its my backyard and they run around and play and I'm watching from the window. I am just as responsible as anyone on this board with their dogs, pitbull or not. I know its a major responsibility at owning a dog because I raised one from a 6 week old puppy until he died at age 13 and half years old. This is not my first dog I've ever owned you know...I know the responsilbilites that will come with owning this dog along with my other apbt, and yes I am quite capable of handling them.

17. hawk

hawk Big Dog

I usually feed Eukanuba but after reading on this board and others I am going to try Canidae. There are some good threads about nutrition on this board. Here is a site that has some side by side comparisons on dogs being feed cheap food versus Canidae and Chicken soup for Dog Lover's Soul. Go to articles of interest then click on dog food. It is a very good site they have a lot of info on this site. Good luck in your research http://www.highoutputkennels.com/

18. dora

dora Big Dog

is it a apbt
    Well I may buy this white apbt pup but I'm not sure yet. I want your opinon guys...How does he look?

http://img143.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img...dsc003586us.jpg
    http://img233.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img...dsc003602wz.jpg
    or a amstaff
    she told me that both the parents of the pup is AKC registered as AM Staffs (possibly isn't approved by you guys) but that is no problem with me, she tells me that the pup would of costed her $600 with AKC registered papers for the liter, instead of the $200 she paid for. Whether this may be true or not, this is defiantly good news for me. She also tells me that his parents were stocky and somewhat short (muscular) which is AKC AM Staff material
    make up your mind
    I said I was 19 almost 20
    your birthday says may 10,1986...which says to me that you will be 19
    I'm starting to wonder if you even read all the posts before you posted this
    i was wondering the same thing about you why because you wrote this
    why would my dogs go to the animal shelter they are inside dogs
    i stated....irresponcible people is what started animal shelters...so maybe you should go back and read my post....i sure as heck don't understand this statement
    I raised one from a 6 week old puppy until he died at age 13 and half years old
    you were 6 when you started raising this pup....o i bet responciblity set in there then..uh!
    Hi, I am new to Pit bulls and the Pit bull community, I don't know much about breed or the bloodlines. I have recently purchased a American Pitbull Terrier puppy, shes 4 weeks old. I'm not sure if a Pit bull is suppose to look like this
    i also found this in a thread you wrote...(new puppy)....i am a little confused on the i raised a pitbull thing you wrote...no wait i ain't confused you are...lol
    I know the responsilbilites that will come with owning this dog along with my other apbt, and yes I am quite capable of handling them.
    that is even scaryer that you own more than one...i don't really think you are capable of understanding....if you really want to help this breed....you really need to sit back and think of what responcibility really is and what maturity means....

19. dora

dora Big Dog

listen to what hawk is saying.......and what you replyed....unfortunutly....pet insurance doesn't cover much.....just think what if your dog got out of the back yard today and a truck drove by and hit her...and did a conciderable amount of damage...it would runn you at the vet about like what hawk said and what would you do then...like you said your check was only 100$....and you have to beg for money for gas from your parents...a couple of bucks for gas is a big difference from a couple of hundred for a vet bill....think man think....
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by hawk

You state that you cannot afford a couple of hundred dollars for a dog. Maybe you should rethink getting a dog at this point in your life. The couple of hundreds of dollars is nothing when it comes to the true cost of pet ownership. I remember when I had to come up with $1400 to save my dog. This was about 8 years ago and she is still with me so it was worth it. I wish I could get out of the vet for under $300 dollars. If you are worried about money I think you should wait until you are at a point when you can truely afford it.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Pet insurance at Petco :D $11 a month! $1 for the first month. Up to $1000 in coverage, you should look into that.

But unfurtunatly I have bad news, I just discovered I only have $100.00 because I did not work enough hours last week, I barely have enough to pay for my car, now I have to beg my parents for gas money for my car which consumes alot! I'm hoping I can come up with the rest of the money ($50) by Friday, which I think is going to be pretty hard considering I have to pay for phone bills and gas and food...Or if they could let him go for $100.

20. crunK

crunK Pup

The subject has been brought up many times before on this thread and in the media many times whether a APBT is a AM Staff or not. The lady that is selling them considers them to be Pitbulls either way just because a registery would not allow the name "Pit" in a name. This IS IN HER OPINON. (Everyone has their own.) When i first made this thread, I thought it was a APBT by the picture, so I posted APBT. But later on I soon found out from the seller after getting in contact with her that it was from AM Staff, Dam and Sire.

1986 is not my real birthday year, you can believe me or not either way I am over 18 and considered to be an adult in the state of Texas.

Correct, you did state that "irresponsible people created animal shelters", but you also asked me to "don't add another animal to the shelter's list", meaning you consider me to be irresponsible.

The puppy I raised was a Rottweiler not a APBT. Did I say it was a Pitbull? NO! I said, "I know the responsibilities in owning a dog, I owned one from 6 weeks til he died at age 13 and half years old." NO WHERE DID I SAY, "I RAISED A PITBULL FROM 6 WEEKS TO 13 AND HALF YEARS OLD!" Time for you to stfu and stay out if you are not going to give me opinon on the puppie's looks.

I said, "I'm new to the Pitbull breed and Pitbull Community", yes I was right that thread was made over 2 months ago. After reading what others had to say about the responsibilites in raising a Pitbull, I quickly went to the Houston Library, which took me 45 minutes to get there, and sign up and check out puppy books and breed books, so I can learn more about it. Sounds like responsibilities being taken care of to me!

You're the one to talk about helping a breed HUH!?!?!? LOL! You stated youself you have a liter of "AM Staff/ Boxer Mix", Wow good job on the breeding, I hope you took your responsibilites in spaying the male so it doesn't get the dam pregnant. NOPE YOU DIDN'T! Now you got a bunch of muts running around the world, I hope you don't become a BYB and tell the buyers they are full APBT or AM Staff, or are you going to raise a whole liter plus the dam and sire? Good luck!

Listen to what you're saying...You can't comphrehend on reading the thread title, I'm asking for help not your smart ass remarks. I make around $830+ every paycheck which comes in at the end of every 2 weeks, I did not say I make $100.00 a paycheck. LOL! You're literally putting words into my mouth. My car payment is $460.28 every month, around $100.00 of gas money for a week and half. Food cost is around $80.00 per week because I go out to eat alot. And my cell phone bill is around $60.00, that leaves me with about ~$100.00 (which is the $100 I was talking about.)

I said if the cost for the vet is more than $1000.00 I will cover it, wheter I if I need to ask my parents for a loan or take it out my savings account or use a credit card. Again I know my responsibilites and I will take care of them.