1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about it...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by crunK, Feb 7, 2005.

1. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Its SPAY not SPRAY lol

have you thought about maybe fostering rescue dogs that are looking for new homes?? If you have the time and resources, there are always APBTs that need help finding a home

2. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

if you cant even get enough money to feed your car (GAS) then i dont think your going to have enough money to feed your dog... and you said you wanted a family dog and stuff like that, i doesnt nescessary have to be a pitbull... rescues are everywhere, just call your humane society and they should be able to locate one for you... but the main thing is that if you dont even make enough money to support yourself, how are you going to support the dog and pay for the petco insurance thing... i dont want you to buy a dog and then have nothing to feed it, and let the dog end up skinny, then let animal control come and get the dog and fine you... you will be losing more money there then just waiting... but a paper dog is better then one that doesnt have any... just because a dog has paper doesnt mean were going to fight them, or breed them for money... we breed them for ourself, and sometimes we wont even sell any of the dogs we produce...

3. crunK

crunK Pup

Did you not read what I posted? "I did not work enough hours last week." Because I went out of town, I don't support myself I live with my family and I only pay for my phone bill and car monthly, I can afford to pay for its insurance and food whether its 1 dog or 2 dogs.

Wow seriously you're going to keep liters of up to 8-9 dogs including the parents...I don't think there is a state out there that would allow to keep that many types of pet at the same time unless you have some license or something.

You know nothing of my financial background don't be so quick to make conclusions whether I can afford to help raise a dog or not.

Pitbull are said to have better temperment than Golden retrievers and that impresses me. Thats why I want pitbulls.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  4. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

hey iam not the one that is jumping to conclusion... iam just going off from what you posted... iam not trying to offend you or anything, just dont want you to fall in a wrong or bad path... and me keeping all the liter, yea i can keep all the liter... my brother owns a farm here in MN... thats why i keep them... yea i have about 6 dogs, and no i havent breed any of them yet, because its not the right time yet... and i might bot keep them all, but i would probably give them to friends and family that i trust and know that they can raise it without anything happening to the dog... ill never give or sell a dog to someone i think or know that is not going to give them a good home... id rather give it to the humane society then sell it to them... my dogs are more important then a couple hundres dollars... owning a dog is a big responsibility, its like taking care of your own kid... so iam just letting you know, not trying to put you down or offend you ok crunk, dont take it the wrong way...

5. hawk

hawk Big Dog

6. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

"Wow seriously you're going to keep liters of up to 8-9 dogs including the parents...I don't think there is a state out there that would allow to keep that many types of pet at the same time unless you have some license or something."

You sound like my f***ing b***h neighbor. "You can't own that many dogs; the law won't allow it! You better get rid of them or I'm turning you in."
    So I went out and got a few more. I've had 42 at one time. My great grandfather and a couple of his sons were feeding 120 (including pups) at one point. I have friends in Arkansas and Texas who have between 50-100 at any given time. Up here where I live it's $25 a year for a kennel license, $50 a year for a breeder's license, and $30 a year per dog.

As far as your 150-dollar white dog is concerned. I know people that would rather give someone a quality dog for free than see someone spend their money on some junk dog to be thrown right back into the breeding pool.

7. crunK

crunK Pup

Shut up, I even said you need a license I'm saying if you don't have a kennel license most if not all states only allows you to only own up to about 3-5 dogs at once. And I didn't ask for you to come in here and tell me about your stupid dogs.

And read before you post please, I said I will spay my female so they don't breed. This dog, which "I might not get it", if I do, it will only be a family dog.

8. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

And papers... the chance of getting a bogus ped through the adba is almost as great as getting one from a BYB. I've had a couple of different litters for which the adba sent me wrong pedigrees for. I was thinking, "WOW, I wish these pups were bred that way!" Hell, I could have kept the papers and bs'ed a lot of people, just like many others are doing. Instead I quit registering my dogs altogether. I'm not gonna keep dishing out money to an organization that makes such colossal mistakes. Think what you want. If one only wants to deal in adba-registered dogs, then it's his/her loss. I offered 7000 for an unregistered dog a couple years ago, strictly based on this dog's performance. I was turned down flat. I certainly would have been willing to pay much more, had I been able to afford it. There is far too much emphasis on pretty papers nowadays. How many times have you all shown a picture of a dog and a pedigree, and you get responses such as "nice pedigree!" or "great ped!"??? Seems one could make much more money selling pedigrees than the actual dogs themselves. I care about how a dog is bred. Knowing a dog's lineage is essential to my breeding program. When a breeder tries to hand me registration papers, I tell him/her to keep them. If I didn't know how the dog was bred, I most likely wouldn't be buying it. I only deal with breeders I trust; registered dogs or not. I couldn't give a fat froggy's ass about the top breeders in the country. They're all breeding the same thing. Selling the same dogs to everyone with enough money. The only way to get an exceptional dog these days is to breed it yourself; or go through someone who isn't selling 100 pups a year because of pretty papers. I refuse to pay 500 bucks for a dog with pretty papers if I've never seen the parents work; or if the dog has 3000 siblings. Far too many people will though.

And do.

I'll pay big bucks for a pup with impressive parents and grandparents though. Not because it has a Ch before their name on the pedigree, but because I've personally seen what I want to see out of them... and I'm not easily impressed.

adba...pfffffffffft.

9. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

"I didn't ask for you to come in here and tell me about your stupid dogs."

Quite a chip on your shoulder there, crunk. You invited me in here when you asked for everyone's opinion. My opinion is based on experience. My experience is based on my dogs.

I wish you the best of luck with your 150-dollar backyard-bred albino cur. Hope he works out for you.

10. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

"I wish you the best of luck with your 150-dollar backyard-bred albino cur. Hope he works out for you."

Scratch that. It was a childish thing to say. It may be the best dog in the world for you. It isn't for me to judge.
    Sincerely though, good luck, should you decide to buy.<!-- / message -->

11. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

lol... hey if he wants that dog, let him get it oh wells... yea up here in MN my brother dont have a kennel liscense or anything... he just owns a farm with 24 acres and we just put our dogs there in the barn... well what can you say, it doesnt matter how many dogs you own... its the owners job to keep them feed and warm with shelter... i can have up to 1000 dogs and that wouldnt matter as long as i have enough space for them to live and enough food...

12. hawk

hawk Big Dog

Pitbull are said to have better temperment than Golden retrievers and that impresses me. Thats why I want pitbulls.
    This right here is the BEST arguement for papers!! You think people just want papers to breed or fight as you put it. But if these temperment tests impress you do you think the dogs they used were from BYB? Let me answer it for you NO. True game bred dogs were culled if they were man biters. Now how can you compare a dog that has been culled for hundreds of years against human agression to a guy that just takes two big headed dogs and puts them together? If you say this is why you want a pit bull, because of sound temperment then stay away from BYB's. If you go to a rescue at least the temperment test the dogs before they are adopted out.

Did you not read what I posted? "I did not work enough hours last week." Because I went out of town, I don't support myself I live with my family and I only pay for my phone bill and car monthly, I can afford to pay for its insurance and food whether its 1 dog or 2 dogs.
    I think what you fail to realize is that ownership can and usually does cost more than just paying that pet insurance and food. I have looked into that insurance and it is not that good. It will usually help out on routine visits but what happens if your pet is really sick and you need to come up with a few hundreds of dollars to save him? I wish that the only costs would be food and a little insurance but that almost NEVER the case.

You know nothing of my financial background don't be so quick to make conclusions whether I can afford to help raise a dog or not.
    We can only go by what you post. We may not know your exact financial background but most people here know the costs of ownership and I think people are just trying to give you advice. Because I think a lot of people can relate when you take your dog to the vet and something is wrong an you have to come up with way more that you anticipated.

rocksteady likes this.
  13. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

man you cares if he gets a papper or not... if he wants a stupid curr, then let him get one... remeber he said he wanted a family dog... just go get a black lab or german shepard...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  14. hawk

hawk Big Dog

You have to understand he is not going to get a Lab or a GSD he will get an APBT which make perfect family dogs. But where he is making his mistake is going to a BYB because you will no nothing of the parents background. Just because this guy says it's a pit how does he know the grandparents were not man biting curs? He said he was impressed with how the perform in temperment test but he has to understand the dogs they are testing to form that data are not from BYB's. If he does not care about papers that's fine just go to a rescue because they at least they test the dogs before they get adopted.

What he is doing is like if he is looking to buy a car and his main concern is realiability so he is researching Honda's. He thinks it a great car and will serve his needs. It's time for him to buy his car and then when he goes out to pick one he looks at Yugo because he can get one cheap. That's the same thing with supporting BYB's

15. badnews_VA

badnews_VA Big Dog

are you saying every unpapered dog is a cur? and why because he wants a family dog he can't have a pitbull? as long as he is a responsible owner i don't see the big deal. i mean this is a pitbull website so everyone here must love pitbulls or they wouldn't be here, breeder or not.

16. hawk

hawk Big Dog

No I am not saying that EVERY unpapered dog is a cur? I know people will site GR CH 35 he difinately was not a cur though he did not produce as far as I know. The reason it's a big deal is that most of these so called pit bull (which a lot are mixes) that you see in the news almost always come from BYB's.

And when did I say a pit cannot be a family dog. I have kept them for family dogs for over 13 years. So please show me where I said that.

I have nothing against unpapered dogs if you read my post my only suggestion is go to a rescue. BYB's are destroying the breed so why support them.

17. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

yea should just get a rescue dog like what hawk said if your going to get a dog that isnt paper...

18. badnews_VA

badnews_VA Big Dog

hawk, i wasn't responding to something you said, i was responding to 4thaveboyz

19. JEEP

JEEP Big Dog

all i have to say is get what ever dog you want crunk, as long as you know the responsibilities of owning a dog, and if you are going to be responsible for what he does, feed him/her and give him/her shelter thats all man... good luck with your dog though...

20. hawk

hawk Big Dog

I did not catch that, now I see.:o