1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thick Skinned Puppies

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by NorCalTim, Sep 18, 2013.

1. NorCalTim

NorCalTim Big Dog

When a litter of pups is given shots, a few tend to stand out with having thick skin. You would not know it until a needle was put in them for their first set of shots.

Has anyone ever kept a pup they gave shots to who had thick skin as pup, as well as keeping a pup who did not stand out to have the thickest skin (but may have had other attributes you wanted)?

When the two pups were older, did the pup with thick skin heal quicker than the pup who (when young) did not have the thickest skin when they had an accidental injury/or injury in a hog hunt?

I would think the pup with the thickest skin would continue to be the dog with the thickest skin (out of the litter he came from) when they mature.

Any thoughts?

2. smt232

smt232 Pup

I don't know about thick skin but I know needles can have dramatic differences in sharpness. It may be possible the thick skin puppies just happen to be getting the dull needles or ones that have little barbs on them.

3. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Never kept one based on how thick their hide was before,but some do seem to have a little thicker skin but as was mentioned,needles really vary in sharpness one to another too. But IMHO,no dog is going to have thick enough skin to keep teeth from penetrating,so I would just base my decisions on the dog from other attributes.

4. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

"That skin ain't connected to the heart." The End

5. NorCalTim

NorCalTim Big Dog

Thanks guys.
    I have never picked a pup based on the thickness of the hide, however it did make me wonder. There is always some variability on the hide thickness.

I have heard that sometimes thicker skinned dogs/genetics come from the North and some thinner from the South (or where it is warmer). It was also mentioned to me the thinner skinner ones seem to .... show their muscle tone quicker when conditioned.

No one has mentioned they have based picking a pup off of how thick their hide is.