1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

thick neck, narrow head

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by mseebran, Aug 24, 2008.

1. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

Hey guys. My female is slowly approaching a year old and here lately she's becoming an expert at slipping a collar off with her front legs. After it happened the first time I guess she figured, hey i can get loose any time i want to. And being the smart little trouble make she is she would wait till late, all lights out and everyone sleeping and get loose.

Well the third time she did this it was chaos. Wife was loading kids up for school and she was loose. She put her in the porch and shut the door. My daughter had to come back in for something and she bolted out and stayed by my wife next to the car. What I haven't mentioned yet is that my neighbour who works at night let her dog out to roam the neighbourhood every morning at this time. To make a long story short, he ran across my yard and my girl got ahold of him and gave him a harsh but deserved lesson in trespassing. I felt bad and i was scared that the law would get involved, but his owner acknowledged that it was her fault for letting him run loose(lucky me).

Since then I have switched over to an axle setup and a two inch wide collar buckled snuggly on her and she hasn't been loose since. She has a thick bulky neck and a narow head which worries me that with enough determination she may get loose again. Anyone else ever had this prob before?

2. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Try adding a 1" collar behind the 2" collar.

You should only be able to get 2 fingers, between collar and neck. Anymore then that, and its too loose.

3. cutt

cutt CH Dog

Adding that 1 in collar behind the 2in collar always works for me.

4. Nikita

Nikita Big Dog

try a martingale collar might work:/ not too sure never had that problem.

5. PittMan

PittMan Pup

6. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

I agree with Still. Add another collar or tighten the other one. Choke chains can cause serious damage to the windpipe of a straining dog and should never be left on a dog that's by himself. Same with pinch collars

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008