1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Silver lining to Petes Dark Cloud

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by NOLEFAN, Sep 19, 2006.

1. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

I was watching football on Sunday and my wife came home from church and told me that one of our church members wanted to talk to me about a dog they had running around the neighborhood. He gave my number to the neighbor who was concerned about the dogs well being. He called and told me the dog was a pitbull and that he didn't want him killed or put to sleep because he was friendly, and that he hasn't called the dog catcher as of yet, but was getting heat from some other neighbors about him. I told him that i coached football and would drop by and take a look at him after practice. After practice I left and headed in his direction when my phone rang...it was the "concerned neighbor". She was wanting to know that I was on my way to pick him up. I told her that it all depended on his temperament and how he acted.

Well, I got there and drove around the neighborhood and came upon what I thought to be the dog in question. I thought to myself that this was another case of mistaken identity because this dog that matched the description was no pitbull. This mistaken dog barked and growled and carried on for a while. At that time a car pulled up, it was the nosey neighbor. She was so excited and alarmed, she said "thats not him", the she said"oh ,...her he comes." I couldn't believe my eyes. Here comes this beautiful black and white pitbull. The woman starts to freak and i asked her to calm down. She said she was afraid, and I let her know that i was only concerned about getting biten by her little flea bag that was snapping at me. The dog is super friendly and wasn't aggresive to other dogs that were around. He was dominant, thats for sure, because when he ran up to them, they fell over and submitted. I asked her if she was sure he was abandoned, she said she went house to house and no one would claim him.

I loaded him up and she said "thank God, I have children and I am glad to see him go". I spent the next 30 mins telling her she was incorrect and informed her as much as possible about the level of her ignorance and the problems that ignorance causes for good owners.
    She ask me what she could do for me in return, I told her to educate her child about all dogs and how to interact, because most of the time it's not the dogs fault, and stop listening to the news, about anything!

Anyway, I have now rescued a wonderful funny little guy. He weighs about 48lbs and he is built, he is no Lil' Bit, but he is worked out, but not a scar on him. I am going to try my best to keep him. I think somebody just set him out. I will try and post pics later. I hope i can keep him, but if not I need to place him.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Good to hear. I had a similar incedent this past weekend. I stopped over to my brother's house, and there's this beautiful red nose female just wandering around. She had a collar and tags, but I couldn't get close enough to read them. She kept toying with me, she'd come to me and let me pet her real quick before she'd take off a few yards ahead of me and give me the play bow. She ran into this yard and this little 11-ish year old girl came outside. I yelled to her "hey, is this your dog?" She looked over and was like "oh s*#t!!" I proceeded to lecture her about containing her dog, which she told me was her friend's that was staying with her, and agreed that her friend was dumb for letting the dog get out. It's unbelievable who gets their hands on these dogs. Sorry if I stole your thunder on this post, didn't mean too, lol.

3. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

No...not at all! Thunder on! That was good of you. The only bad thing is that my wife wants to give him a sissy name. But he has black ears and a black patch over his right eye and the rest of him is white. What else can you name a dog like that, except Petey? I may do what others do and post a pic and get help naming him.

I just felt so bad for him, because the way people had talked about him you would think he had killed some folks. I did a temperament test on him and he passed with flying colors.

4. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

LOL, sounds like Petey is a fitting name for him given his description. It's not that bad IMO. It's always good to be creative, but I know I for one often have a hard time naming animals.

5. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

How wonderful that you got that little guy! I do hope you get to keep him. I would love to see some pics! Good luck with him and keep us posted!

6. Marty

Marty Guest

Get em! V :D

7. Attila

Attila Guest

Ya, where is the pics bro. You should keep him. I don't know why you would have to place him. You should come visit me when you get a weekend off. Talk shop and shit. lol

8. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

Good for you!! yes,,where are those pics so we can see if he needs a sissy name or a tough one

9. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

It's been three days, where's the pics?

10. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

How you do a temperment test?

11. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Whats that old saying "good dogs are where you find them" ? It sounds like he is a really nice little dog. I'm glad YOU found him and not someone else.

12. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

There are a lot of things you can do to temperament test. Some are risky and some are things you do to see the reaction. I opened an umbrela behind him to see if he got startled easily. The other thing I did is give him some food and get closer and closer to him to see how he reacts(this is one that is not to be taken out of context because food is a primary issue in nature). But in his case I could put my hand (I have a fake arm for the first few tests) next to him and he never growled or got anxious. I can send you a list of things to do if you want. It is what I do when they ask me to do a test on a dog.

13. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

I come to update with a heavy heart today. We were so excited about finding Petey. We took Petey to a doctor to have him looked over for any problems.

Petey has cancer, and it is inoperable. Which brings me to the conclusion that this is why he was set out. We have been and are going to continue to give him the best care we can until the inevitable occurs. We are going to have him put down when he starts to be in a lot of pain. I am sure he is in pain now, but you know these dogs, they hide it well. My wife and I are very sad, but at the sametime we are still glad we got him before he started to suffer this all alone on the streets.

Let this be a testiment to any doubters. Here is a dog that is so good and gentle in the midst of enduring this hardship, and living with people he doesn't know. This could only be an APBT.

Thanks for the lesson in courage Petey!

14. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

What sad news! At least Petey will know love and kindness in his last days.

15. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

My heart goes out for you. Yea, you can say that again, another dog would be trying to bite you. Says something for those nasty pitbull owners also, you know how mean and heartless they are.
    Proud to know you my friend.Now, if we can just get some folks to appriciate the spitoon!!

16. Attila

Attila Guest

My prayers out for ya'll and Petey.