1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

tHE KILL SHELTER IS FULL

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by squirt07, Oct 11, 2006.

1. squirt07

squirt07 Big Dog

Down in st. Louis, MO there is a kill shelter full of pitbulls of different ages, colors and sizes. Is it wise to adopt from a shelter? My mom wants to go down there to morrow, but I have seen posts on here that advise against it. What do you think? She wants to rescue a dog.

2. semo

semo Top Dog

do what you want. i mean it would be spay or neutered pet...

3. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

I'm currently volunteering at a humane society that's got a few pit bulls. I've worked with all of them and they are wonderful dogs. Have you had experience handling pit bulls? If you don't, you may want to find someone who has experience with pit bulls of different temperaments, just to make sure there are no large behavioral issues that you've missed. There are so many great dogs waiting in shelters right now, it's a shame no one realizes that they make wonderful pets. A word of warning though, though most of the pit mixes surrendered to shelters are there simply because the owner had to move, couldn't afford food, or just got bored of the dog, there are some that have behavioral issues. If you get a dog, obedience classes are incredibly helpful in teaching both you and your dog. Just make sure to find a trainer who has had some experience in the breed. Good luck!

4. squirt07

squirt07 Big Dog

Thank you for your good advice, she is hoping we can find a pup.

5. I would say go for it. If you want to adopt one then do it.

6. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

Try basing your decision on asking yourself these questions:

Do you care about a dog being registered?
    Would you be ok not knowing the dogs history therfore not knowing it's future or present for that matter?
    Would you care if the dog is neutered or spayed?
    That's just a few that I thought about and my answers have kept me away from adopting. I do occassionally take in homeless pets until I find a good home for them though.

7. squirt07

squirt07 Big Dog

She doesn't care if it is registered, wants it altered because we don't want to breed, and just want a family friend.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

Well,there ya go...you managed to answer your own question.

One thing you might consider is the risk of infectious desieses/virus that you could expose your pup to by bringing a pound pup home.

Doesnt matter if your pup is fully vacinated, I would qaurenteen the new pup for atleast 30 days.

Didnt ya'll just bring in a pup not long ago and it died for one reason or another?

9. squirt07

squirt07 Big Dog

Well, my mom bought a pup from the flea market which i know you shouldn't do because it supports the bad breeders and all that , but she couldn't leave it there. It was in terrible shape and died at the emergency hospital around 12 hours later. and that is a good idea to quarentine the pup. shehadn't thought of that at all.

10. idgie

idgie Big Dog

you may already know this, but just keep in mind that even rescued pit bulls and pit bull mixes can be dog-aggressive, and you may very well have to keep them away from other dogs (cats, etc) - and keeping house pets separated can be a huge pain! my pound pit mix became somewhat dog-aggressive at around a year and that is perfectly normal. i've heard of way too many well-intentioned folks adopting pit bulls and then putting them down later due to this "behavioral problem," which isn't a behavioral problem at all, it's a trait of the breed. as long as you and your mom know that and are prepared to manage it, i think it's great that you are adopting a pet - very noble.

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree. And kudos to you for wanting to adopt.

12. Suki

Suki Guest

Lots of good points here. If you have an answer for all of the questions raised here, and then know the answers to your own, then that's what you base your decision on. Write them down. Discuss them with family members and if you all agree to be in it for the long haul=at least 10-15 years, then base your answers from what you all can agree upon.

Agree, nice to hear about the possibility of obtaining a rescue. [​IMG]

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I would regularly visit the shelter on Seven Hills Drive, and they had some nice dogs. Every one of them would come up to the front of the cage and make tail thunder behind them. And some of those dogs were being held on abuse cases. Honestly, if I didn't have the plans I have for the future, I would rescue from a shelter or rescue org in a heartbeat. In Missouri, there's also MPR and Mutts-n-Stuff. http://www.mprgroup.net http://www.muttsandstuff.com/

14. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

if she ahs her heart set on a pup i would go with a reputable rescue honestly. they can evalaute the pups better and you'll have less of a chance of getting a significant behavioral problem like FA or HA since the dog is temp testeed by people who know what theya re doing. they pull form kill shelters as well so its a good choice. good lukc and post pics

15. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

Well if you think a rescue is right for you i say go for it....... I plan to purchase dogs from breeders in the future but when i first wanted a pet i went and got cali from the pound for $75. Probaly not the best place to get a dog ( a rescue might be best) but i am glad i did. ;)

16. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

hgood post by bullboi too. somer escues are screwy as well lol