1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Difference Between Animal Welfare and Animal Rights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KuttersKru, Apr 22, 2009.

1. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

I've noticed that a lot of people (including some on here) don't really know the difference between animal welfare and animal rights. This means that animal welfare advocates often get written off as wackjobs alongside groups like PeTA, which is unfair because I'll be the first one to go to a PeTA rally and eat a bucket of KFC chicken wearing a fur coat with leather gloves and yelling how excited I am about the Preakness.

Animal Welfare:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal welfare proponents seek to improve the treatment and well-being of animals.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal welfare proponents believe that humans can interact with animals in entertainment, industry, sport and recreation, and industry, but that the interaction should include provisions for the proper care and management for all animals involved.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animals shall be treated with respect and dignity throughout their lives and, when necessary, provided a humane death.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal wlefare proponents understand that conservation and management of animal populations should be humane, socially responsible, and scientifically prudent
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal welfare groups utilize scientific evidence and professional judgment with consideration of ethical and societal values to base animal care and handling guidelines.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal welfare proponents understand that breeding can and should be done in a responsible manner
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal welfare proponents work with existing laws to make sure all animals are treated respectfully in all industries[/FONT]

Animal Rights
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal rights proponents seek to end all human "exploitation" of animals .
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal rights proponents believe the rights of animals are equivalent to that of human beings.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animals rights proponents believe animals should not be used for food , clothing or entertainment purposes.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal rights proponents do NOT support the use of animals for life-saving medical research.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal rights proponents create laws and regulations that would prohibit rodeos, horse racing, circuses, hunting, petting zoos, marine parks etc
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal right proponents are against the breeding of animals.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Animal rights organizations have always been more outspoken, relying on publicity stunts to garner public interest
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some animal rights groups believe in breaking laws, using scare tactics and violence in order to get their message across.[/FONT]

http://a-wag.homestead.com/animalwelfare.html

Hope we cleared that up ;)

2. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

Any animal on this planet is equal to any human on this planet,why weould you think otherwise ? torturing a wee animal,so some (edit) can get their miserable life extended 6 month,**** that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  3. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

First off, watch your mouth. F word is one we don't allow around here, and you've been told several times.

Actually no, I don't believe animals are equal to people, and neither do you, or you wouldn't own a dog. I don't even think some animals are equal to other animals, and neither do they. You go and ask a lion if he sits there and ponders moral quandary about equality before he eats an antelope, I'll bet not. I like animals, but I don't find them equal for intellectual reasons. People always think of animal testing as torture, but do they ever stop to think of what it really means or entails. Animal testing is not only for the benefit of humans, but for other animals as well. Human methods of surgeries and medicines developed through animal testing can be developed to aid animals at the vet, or some things that are available at your local pet shop.

And the fact that you'd think that disturbs me, and means you need to go read. Do you have any idea of the long list of things developed using animal research? And are you willing to tell that to a child with diabetes or a more serious affliction? And did you ever consider that animal research has given people AND animals more than six months, but the entirety of their lives? Do you eat meat? Do you yourself use medicine or any medical practices? Do you have a pet? Do they eat meat?

4. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Only in america where a chicken has more rights than I man. Im going out this weekend and kill as many hogs as I can Just for you.

5. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Don't go to a couple places overseas. You'd bang your head against a wall
    Edit: Toss some meat up here, man. I haven't had boar in a dog's age

6. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Im not kidding I just came back in from shooting my bow. I have all kinds of them stinkin things I can shoot them 200 yards from my front door all I got to do is dump corn get in my stand and take my pick. And every time I see some dumb shit like him post some crap like that Im going to kill one. Just so they know there two cents made the blood fly. I dont care if Im giving pork away. Thats how Im fighting back.

7. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Lucky you! I'd have to go a state down and over to hunt, and even then it'd be tough to get out there. What bow do you use?

And don't scare him away, I need him to answer these questions :p

8. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I shoot high country bow trophy taker rest rockymountin assissan heads and gold tip arrows carbon.Its puttin out about 307 fps last time I cronoed it. It perfect meds for deer and hogs. People that think like bandog make me sick. I wish they would drink drain-o and leave the people that are still in the real world alone.

9. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

LMFAO you crack me up J

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

stick em N pick em J. dang now im hungry lol.

11. simms

simms CH Dog

You cant say F*CK but you can say *edit*.....WOW! I'm good with the word *edit* too, so I guess it is all good..LOL

12. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

LOL. Wasn't sure what the jury was on that one, so I didn't take it out

13. simms

simms CH Dog

It's that sensoreship thing....gets under my skin.However I may use the word *edit* in place of the word F*ck, just cause it will entertain me LOL. An yes you can bet there will be those that will be offended...LOL:D

14. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

What the *edit* are you talking about lmao. Who doesn't like the word *edit*?

Oh and I agree with bandog billy in the sence that I don't think torturing animals is cool. I have no problem with people hunting hogs or dear with a bow that shoots 307 fps with a broad head, but at the same time I have seen animals smacked with a stick to daze them then they were skinned alive and left to lay their and suffer to death. That kind of shit I have a problem with.

15. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

My problem is that he was referring to animal research as torture, which is so far from correct it's on another planet, and that humans and animals are equals, which is not only untrue, but most likely hypocritical in it's stance

16. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I am sure their is some animal research that has been done I don't agree with but I am not naive (sp?) enough to think the medical field would be where it is today if it wasn't for animal testing. If they have to sacrifice a billion rats to find a cure for cancer, hep c, aids, etc that is fine with me.

Hell I have a BIG lizard that if I feed live rats smashes them off of the ground and glass of the tank to kill them. He certainly doesn't see the rat as an equal.

17. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Not only that, but if all animals are considered equals to humans, why would you own a dog? Owning an equal counts as slavery, and therefore to keep it as a pet would be both immoral and slavery if what he said was true

18. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

all sorts of *edit* where i come from,example,triplej,he a pish talking *edit*. KK,you lie,you dont have the morals for me to indulge you any more,i wouldnt tolerate it from my kids ,sureasshit aint taking it from you,toodlepip,,,

19. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

You know, jail is a lot like summer camp. Just with a lot less fun and a lot more sodomy, are you a male kk?

20. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

I'm wrong and I lie, but you have no proof to either and your logic is circular. And I could care less what you tolerate from your kids, I'm not one of them. Yeah, on that note you can come back when you're ready to act like you have some sense and act like an adult. I'm a nice person, but my tolerance for stupidity is low