1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Decline Of The Game Bred APBT.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Titch_Pitbull, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

I spend alot of time attempting to expand and deepen my knowledge on the breed and its history and I wanted to present a two part question to the board just to gather others thoughts into the subject.

First I wanted to ask why or even has the popularity of the game bred APBT declined over the years was it down to the introduction of "blue dogs" in the 90s ect and has the "decline in popularity" resulted in the public opinion of what a true apbt apperance being distored?. or is this more down do the media.

Also has the way technology (i.e internet) and information (nurtitional science ect) improved the quality of dogs by making it easier to share information or has it had a negative impact on the breed (making it easier for peddlers ect).

Or have I got everything wrong and there is no real decline in quality or numbers but as laws and passed and media puts there nose into doggers business it just means everything operates more under the surface in 2010 and onwards.

Thank You.

2. venom

venom Top Dog

Things are just different.

People in America have a certain view of the dog and what it was created for.. even if they havent witnessed the dog in 3D let alone the events that the dog particpates in. Most do not have an opinion of their own, only that of which has been rammed down their throat. That pretty much goes for a lot of things, not just the dogs.

I don't think there is a decline in dogs or people interested in them though. There are probably more people out there with the dogs today then ever before but there is also more people period. 100 million or so more people just in this country since like the 1960's. The breed is global... to many countries to name to think that its declining.

3. spliff

spliff Big Dog

there's not a decline in "true game dogs".its just that only the bullshit is publicly advertised.
    and that's the way it should be....

4. akcbr954

akcbr954 Big Dog

of course true game dogs r declining.....any1 who says diff hasnt been around long....in the 90's i could think of 10-15 yards with 100+ game dogs(not puppy mills...so no T.G :)). im not as active as b4 but i cant think of more then 2 right now.

5. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

"Gottiline Legend Grandpups. short thick muzzles and nice chest.. some of the rarest gottiline blood in these pups! These are NOT your average gamebred american pitbull terriors. These pups will be much bigger, have huge heads and wide chest, stay low to the ground, and have much better temperments then the APBT. You can go and get yourself a average greyhound looking pitbull pup for $50-300 and be disapointent with it in a year or grab yourself a awesome head turning american bully that you wont be able to stop looking at!!"

The above statement pretty much sums it all up on the decline of the apbt. I actually found this statement from an ambully kennel and this is now the view of the modern public. Everyone now seems to want the head turning dogs and the dogs that are extreme. You can even see this in bodybuilders now, back in the day, body builders needed to be functional and if you are overly extreme or massive, you'd be disqualified. Jack Lalane used to be the epitome, now you have guys like Jay Cutler winning everything, but they can't even do a single pushup or pullup.

6. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of an old family rednose apbt. This is a legitimate american pitbull terrier.

[​IMG]
    This dog here is a dog off of the camelot bloodline. Camelot bloodline is known to have outcrossed their dogs with dogue de bourdeaux among other breeds. This is NOT a purebred, this is considered to be an ambully. Unfortunately, this is the look that everyone is going for now.

Personally, I prefer the first dog since nothing can beat the substance of a performance bred dog built to perform, both mind,body, and soul. The very essence of an apbt is for performance and to own an apbt is to own a dog who's essense is a hard working animal that will go the extra mile pass its breaking point and still keep striving forth, a dog without limitations. It really does sadden me that what was once the symbol of America has now been reduced to being...well just look at the picture.

7. chucho

chucho Big Dog

I think that the media has A big influence on how people judge these
    dogs. Every time I talk about them at work some a$$hole always has
    something stupid to say. Most of the time the news has some story
    that has to do with the APBT they show something like this. All they
    so is put A negative picture in the publics head that makes most think
    negative towards these dogs. All this dog is doing is barking but ignorant
    people don't see that. All they see is A vicious animal that is ready to
    ATTACK. Im already PISSED OFF writting this. It makes me sick.

[​IMG]

8. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

they both look like garbage to me. the first is as far from a real bulldog as the second, just not as fat.

9. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

The internet is a good tool for researching the breed,but at the same time gives the peddlers and idiots access to sell their wares.
    Remove the peddlers and which ever dog/s are flavour of the month,be it jeep,mayday etc from the equation, and there would be a significant decline in pups and dogs for sale to anyone with a few bucks in their hand. :rolleyes::D:D

10. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

How come the first one looks like garbage? Looks a bit different from mine, looks more like an AmStaff to me, but is that what you mean? Just wondering.

11. benthere

the first one looks like a garbage bred OFRN dog.
    inbred for peddlin' for 50 years.

12. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Oh gotcha. But it is a very nice looking dog...very pretty :p

13. benthere

pretty vacant more like.
    i don't like the look of the dogs eye and head.
    the legs and feet look weak to me.
    the dog looks like an ill bred OFRN dog down from generations of untested jake wilder, ron sites, bill pritts, etc. breedings.
    those dogs were peddled and the only reason they were bred was they were easy to sell.
    bill would laugh about it, he had "real" dogs and he had his OFRN dogs. the OFRN dogs were like having an ATM in his backyard. he sold literally hundreds of pups at over $500 a head. he even had a waiting list. same thing with ron s.
    there were alot of suckers back then, thats why i always laugh when i see people these days talk about "bringing the OFRN back"
    it was garbage then its garbage today.
    thats why bill p. kept his other dogs, mostly redboy x jeep.
    bill was a pretty good dogman and a real nice guy. he had a pretty good eye for a dog.

14. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

There's still some OFRN dogs worth feeding. They used to be phenomenal dogs, it is just that people started breeding them for looks rather than performance and begin peddling them. Also with a name like old family rednose, people assumed that they were a dynasty or something so that quickly deteriorated the OFRN line. Also yeah, the first dog is an OFRN dog, but is untested. This is why I referred to it as an "apbt" and not "bulldog" since technically, even curs are still technically apbts since that is their breed. I believe the title of bulldog is earned.

15. Yelic

Yelic Pup

so whats your opinion on Southern Inferno, FlameTree, and Iron LIne Kennels?

16. benthere

you are insulting Ironline by mentioning them in the same sentence as Flametree.
    Ironline has a long tradition of real bulldogs.
    the other 2 you mentioned are peddling 10 generations of inbred curs.

17. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i think that the internet is a great tool that helps people learn alot
    b4 you took what your mentor told you and that was that
    now u have access to info from many different people
    the problem is its also a tool used for police and peddlars
    so its good and bad just like everything

from what i researched other than the red devil dogs i never found any strains worth fooling with

18. Yelic

Yelic Pup

just curious since i heard good things about all 3. thanks for responding

19. Gmaculous

Gmaculous Pup

The media portrays any dog with a muscular tone and a block head a pitbull. Especially when there's an attack. Usually it's a dogo, or a presa, ect. Then those with no experience with the breed google pitbull kennels they get nothing but 30 inch heads and 150 pound pits. Then there false perception becomes sadly there reality. :(
    Backyard breeders and paper hangers are the internets best friends

20. Jefferson

Jefferson Big Dog

Yes the true game bred dog is in decline. Steep decline. Anyone that has been around for a long time knows it. The game is much smaller than it used to be.