1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The begining of the new mill I'm building

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Buck E. Owens, Jun 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Here are some pics of the new mill!

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/r...mill/?start=20

Still need some material;
    Slats, Belt material, Roller blade wheels and bearings.

But not a bad start for half a day anyway!

My slats are going to be fun!:o I'm going to make about ten extra when I do make them just for spares, seeing as how they last only so long anyway.

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I wish I had some where to get those kart wheels but whatever, i'll just get bigger garage door wheels before i go to far, but for the belt material would 'cow mat' be to thick? :confused:

3. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

lookin good buck, lookin good.

what's the temp like in the shop up there?It was like 102 inside the shop down here today.:mad:.It's been killer hot.

Anyways, keep us posted. Hell, I might just have to start working on one myself.

4. cutt

cutt CH Dog

great progress for a half day man...Keep up the good wrk

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Looks good bro. Keep us updated...:cool:

6. QWERT

QWERT Pup

Look online for Split Hub 5 inch Go cart Rims, They'l have a ton for ya..

Dunno what cow mat is?

Mine is a pvc rubber strip followed by the samematerial used to make collars, you can buy it in 10m rolls etc..

4 bolts forevery slat! If you use two i think it has too much rock. JMO

Great work mate

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  7. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Cow mat is the rubber they use in Arenas and under cattle in stantions here . I never thought of seat belt, and PVC rubber can you get that easily enough?

[​IMG]

I need 18 wheels for a 54'' track arm surface one side, and 18 more for the other side too!! And not sure how many Slats I need? But its gonna be a few!!!

Not sure how wide to make the track I can go as wide as 20'' I think, but after a while your adding weight to the drag the wider you go!

and I'm going to go to a store we have here called Play It Again Sports to get roller blade wheels, they have to be the same size, so buy them bulk.

to this point it is 100% recycled material from garage door set up, and 4 table leg/brackets (2''x2'') and about 5 welding sticks! sofar

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  9. QWERT

QWERT Pup

Well the ideal running surface width is 13-15" - any more than this and the dog has too much chance to not run "straight" so to speak, can cause injurys etc.

You want the belt with a bit of length so its got a good dip under the mill " i'm no expert mate, but i've listened, and its seems to have a whip like effect makin the overall mill run quicker and smoother.. dunno if i explained it well though..

I'm assuming Cow mat is very similiar to the PVC rubber strips we buy here, we get it in 4" wide up to however wide you want.. down here we have a clark rubber store, just looking for something along those lines..

With your wheels The biggest thing is dont Skimp!!
    If using Rollerblkade wheels use a medium softness to soft, Not hard, doesnt work as well, sort of slips the slats, softer whenls grip better. ITs all personal choice. The bearing is the most important part, so if you got the coin, then dont go past the POWELL SWISS bearing, man they are good.. they really are a lot better, cost alot more, but you get what you pay for.

If you decide ( as i did ) Get your hands on Steel Skate Wheels - They are pretty much the same diameter and width of a rollerblade wheel, they are used primarily on conveyor belts, and you can pick them up online through heaps and heaps of different conveyor manafacturers..

For the slats dont use a super heavy type wood, but also dont use a crappy cheap lightweight wood, and the slat thickness is important too.. you dont want them too thick as they will be too clunky, and you dont want them too thin, they have too much give.. So you go for somethin about 12mm Approx..

The seatbelt material ive used is more like a fire hose meshing type deal, but seatbelt would work no probs also..

Justr make sure you use washers on the underside when attaching the belt, And dont forget to countersink the bolt heads.

Its all preference mate, and what you want from the mill..

These are just some of the things ive noticed when puttin one together.. hope its been of some help

10. QWERT

QWERT Pup

PS - Them Steel Skate wheels are great, but heaps heaps noisier and also have a little slip., but are a top wheel..

Cheers mate

11. InBearsMemory

InBearsMemory Big Dog

Nice job man! Looks great so far. You should check out eBay. There are tons of skateshops on there selling wheels and bearings in bulk. As others have mentioned, use a smaller medium to soft wheel. Those Powell Bones Swiss bearings are awesome but crazy expensive (usually around 69.95 for a pack of 8). I can't wait to see more progress pics!

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I'll be snapping the picture so if it don't work out i can reminnd my self never try it again!:D

I have the steal for my spikes so the mill will be attacked again in a couple days
    you here that Caesar lol

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Some of the new pics of today's work.
    It rained here so had some more tinkerin' time! I think i need bigger main rollers like 6'' ones , and my slats are going to be 20.5'' long, its going to take 38 wheels and bearings and about 50+ Slats I'm going to make out of oak or maple i think.? That is enough for spares too, my frame length is 57'' long. and I'm thinking I need advice on the rubber stripping thickness and width, and for harness attachment styles that work well!!

And well here are the new pics, I made the rails/frame a different style than planned originally but it is may better strength and it is still collapsible to ship if needed. Check it out!:cool:

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr18/BrindleHideKennels/my%20treadmill/Slatmill%20Two/

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

18. RosewoodAPBT

RosewoodAPBT Big Dog

That's so awesome! I wish that I was talented enough to make a treadmill for my dogs. I think I'm gonna have to place an order with you! LOL. :D

19. looks good man. was thinking bout makin me one aswell since seeing how your post got me all excited and all. haha. hope it works good for ya. those garage wheels are a damm good idea aswell.

20. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

roller blade wheels...check out rollerbob.com ...he has some killer package deals...especially the blemished packages..you will have to email him for those..nothing wrong with the wheels or bearings, just the design or lettering is off center or didnt print well...
    looks good...6" mains will be better. but it took me several tries and ideas before i got my carpet mill ends wheeld right...still working on the plans....good luck with your mill...s.