1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Bark

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Envy's Mom, May 8, 2007.

1. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

http://www.thewoodlandsdogparkclub.org/program.pdf

Pistol and I are going to this event. It benefits different shelters and is for a great cause. If anyone is in the area and can attend please come. They are doing microchipping for $15 and it includes the lifetime membership. I think thats a great deal. Even if you never use it your not losing much money. Better to be safe than sorry.

2. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

According to that flyer, you are about a week late. ;) It says it was Saturday March 31, 2007

3. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Just to let you know I recently read an article linking microchips to cancer. It might be just as good to wait until they have more info on side affects.

4. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

not only that, in one of my veterinary trade mags it talks about how some companies are making new chips that don't work with the recievers currently on the market as they operate on a different frequency. Now there's a whole bunch of law suits and injunctions and stuff. Between the possible cancer link and the fact that if your dog winds up at the pound their scanners may not even read the chip in your dog, I don't think it's worth it to have it done, not even for the cheap price of 15 bucks......

5. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

They rescheduled it 3 times already. This is the last date. It will be on Saturday May 12th. They have been scheduling this thing since April because it keeps raining.

http://www.thewoodlandsdogparkclub.org/CMClient/cmPage.php?cmID=2

I have read alot about these microchips and know of the different scanners they use. The walk is actually going to help some of the different shelters and places get the extra scanners. There are a couple different companies that make the chips. They are also working on making a scanner for all the chips.

Not sure about the cancer thing. I have heard it before and heard more good than bad. I rescue dogs when I find them running at large and it would make me feel better knowing there is a better way than a collar with tags to make sure a lost dog gets found safely.

I would rather be safe even though I know my dog is confined at all times. I also have a friend who has her dogs chipped and she has never had any problems. I just see it as a precaution.

Does anyone else here have there dogs microchipped?

6. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

Not yet but Legend will be soon. Just don't know if I'm going with homeAgain or Avid? or if it even matters as long as he's chipped. lol

7. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I would call your local shelters and rescues to see what scanners they have. Then I would use the one the scanners near you read. There are different companies and the scanners do not read all the chips.

8. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

Okay. Thats a good idea. Legends my second shadow but I still want to get in chipped just in case.

9. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

That is the way I feel. I pick up lost dogs and if they were chipped it would be much easier to find their homes.

Better safe than sorry.

10. Michele

Michele Guest

i do...........

11. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

How long have they been chipped and have you ever experienced any problems?

Which one do you use?

12. Michele

Michele Guest

I have to look at home for the paperwork. JC came chipped at 2 1/2 months old. I have not had any problems, bu, my friends chihuahua that was rescued off the street, that dog's microchip migrated down his body to his "private" area. Whoever put the chip in probably did it wrong. They found out when they took the dog to get neutered. The vet found the chip by the dog's "jewels". They were able to put the chip back where it belonged. Very weird.....

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  13. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

We've been having LOT'S of rain too!! Ahhhh spring time in Texas. ;) Looks like a fun event!! Have fun!

14. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I heard they have been known to migrate. Thats crazy.

15. Michele

Michele Guest

I never heard of that until it happened to my friend's dog. It sure is crazy. When they first got the dog, they did scan for a chip, but who would of thought to scan the dog's jewels...LMAOOOO

16. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Cuddles and Notch are micro-chipped...I believe we have homeagain...Tess was supposed to get micro-chipped Saturday at her vet visit, but the Vet ran out of chips, so we'll need to go back and do that...So far I haven't had any problems with the chips.