1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Split nails

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Shipley, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Shipley

Shipley Pup

I have a 14 month old intact male,he is very full on in anything he is put to,but he does seem to suffer from brittle/split nails ! He has the same feed as my other 2 which is raw with supplements such as sardines,raw eggs twice a week & vegetable scraps,any comments greatly accepted ! Cheers Terry.

2. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

My old girl Venus, when she was getting senile, started to do alot of panting and drooling, and her nails were breaking off like crazy. Turned out to be a fungal infection. I've heard of people using gelatin, biotin, omega three's, folic acid to fix brittle nail issues. If I recall correctly, as it's been a few years, they were also concerned about some possible immune issues with my girl due to the nail issue. Wouldn't hurt to have a vet check him out just to rule out anything more serious...

3. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Found this... I vaguely recall them discussing this ''biopsy'' for Venus, but for obvious reasons, on a 15 year old dog, we didn't do it...

http://www.bloodaxe.com/SLO.html

4. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

can be a lack of oil or fat in the diet

5. Shipley

Shipley Pup

Thanks Zoe & C/H ,makes sense really ! I am going to up his fish in oil supplement & see how it goes,cheers Terry.:)