1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Southern Kennels

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Big Game Bulldogs, Nov 5, 2021.

?

Does Southern Kennels have a history of producing high quality game dogs?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

That about sums it up....

And they were never nanny dogs. May as well quit retyping that horse shit. From the very first crossing they were bred for war not to baby sit kids.

Revelator and Pollo like this.
  2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am not going to drag you......but here goes.

Everything you find in a working bog, regardless of breed, will be found in every other breed of working dogs. Both good and bad.

Your definition/understanding of nerves is not like any other thing I have read nor experienced.

I do agree true working dogs must have solid nerve and I have never heard the term 'rank drive'. I am familiar with prey drive, defense drive, fight drive and flight. 99% of the dogs on the planet will choose flight over fight.

Bulldogs no different. I have been in and around these dogs for a hair over 40 years. I have had one dog put his mouth on me with ill intent. And of all the dogs I have owned I have never owned one that was the least bit protective of anything. Every dog I have ever owned one would load up and leave with any one that was nice enough to rub him on the head. I have had dogs, bred dogs and bred to dogs that have turned and bit someone to make them let them go when they were all geeked up. When I was ten years old I walked match dogs and match dogs were matched to win. CH Toby and 2XW Willie (Carver-Kreel bred dogs) would both turn and 'make you let them go' yet could be walked around a field by a ten year old. (it was a different world back then as I never let my son around anything other than puppies).

With all that said, I believe the pit bull dog can be an excellent candidate for doing work, and the further he is bred away from his ancestry, the better candidate he will become.

I have only kept one or two inside as pets, one was a complete pain in the ass and the other was a 12 year old female who was not doing well in the cold. She came in during a 10 degree night and was so sweet with my wife and kid she got one more night-which turned into two more years. As sweet as she was I had to crate her when I walked another dog because if she seen him thru the front door she would destroy the front walls of my house trying to get outside. She lured my wife in with her cuddly sweetness but her old decrepit ass was a bulldog.

I never try to talk people into a bulldog nor out of a bulldog. If you want one, get one. If you want answers, ask. Sometimes the answers are not what one is looking for and sometimes it can be an 'a-ha' moment.

It is better to get the 'a-ha' moment here than when you are looking at someone else's vet bills and your court costs.

Maybe the best lesson to be learned is that when something goes south with a pit bull dog it is always the fault of the pit bull. No matter. No matter.

S

Revelator and Ssdd like this.
  3. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

Shit is crazy !!
    Right after they catch that W it’s time to babysit the kids lol
    Mane wtf

Ssdd and Revelator like this.
  4. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Everyone knows I'm a buck fan because after going 3:17 against another gr ch barney fife stitched him up and let him teach Sunday school the next morning lol.

Damn Colby's nephew getting smoked in the early 1900s or Tudors wife's legs being scarred up from the dogs getting her.

We've talked about this exact thing in depth more than once. You also said it best "I've put a hurting on people touching me when I'm getting down can't be mad at the dog for reacting the same way". It's super romanticized and retarded to think that in a life or death battle an animal will get touched and be like "oh that's whistle dick I can't bite him he's human"

Revelator and Pollo like this.
  5. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

With all of the burden and hassle of these dogs only a dumbass would want them in there life. Myself included.

AGK and Revelator like this.
  6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

FB_IMG_1673577485016.jpg

Pollo, Ssdd and Revelator like this.
  7. Revelator

Revelator Big Dog

8. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Revelator likes this.
  9. slim12

I have gotten out three separate times.

S

10. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

watch

11. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Slim = Al Pacino: "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.”

12. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

If you fool with the dogs eventually you will get out and back in at least a couple times.

Revelator likes this.
  13. Revelator

Revelator Big Dog

This is a fact. I'm currently stepping back into this cycle after a long time away... probably a stupid move, but my entire track record is exclusively stupid moves, so this is par for the course.

14. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

I also have to point out the hypocrisy of everyone wanting an American PIT Bull Terrier but having sooooo much to say about the pit aspect of the dogs they think they want lol.

I personally knew of a 1x who would snatch your ignorant ass up when she was ready to be let go. She'd bite the tops of your feet when you try to take her off the chain and she was excited.

Same dog couldn't be trusted on a chain around kids. Put her inside she'd lay at the foot of the walker a baby was tooling around the house in.

There was no issues with her nerves lol. She wasn't a vicious baby killer either. She was a bulldog and when she had her mind set on work she was punching her clock and wasn't clocking out even if you drug her away. If the screaming to be let go didn't work she used the only other tool she had. Her mouth.

Revelator likes this.
  15. slim12

I have had and seen a number of dogs like this and I think somewhere someone linked this to man-biter. From there we have to one up one another on every subject. It sounded really superior to have a "zero tolerance" policy for a dog putting mouth on a person regardless of circumstance.

The dogs have been bred for one reason for several hundred years. Somewhere inside, sometimes deep down inside, and sometimes for only fleeting seconds and sometimes for hours on end, they are what they were bred to be. So, when there are restraints being placed on them, they will wiggle, twist, turn, flip and spin to get to their inner desires. Sometimes when that desire burns so hot, they will make you let them go the only way they know how. They ask to be let go with the wiggling and spinning and twisting and when we do not listen, or better yet, we have to be in charge (and we should) they then ask another way.

Luckily and fortunately, I have only had one dog put his mouth on me for no apparent reasoning. He grabbed my pant leg and the back of my boot as I walked thru his chain spot. I thought he was playing as I had not recognized or seen this in him before. I am sure he told me I just did not see it. The next night he put his mouth on my calf, he didn't bite but he let me know I was not welcome in his spot. I crowned on the head with the feed scoop, and he took the hint. The next night he met me at the end of his chain and let me know I was not welcome showing teeth and snapping at me.

Sort of off topic from the original poster but the best threads become conversations and conversations usually drift but come back. Apologies for the drift but having one of these dogs as a pet because of their perceived history and what the general public thinks. is a bad idea. With that said, they can be the very best family pet anyone has ever known but so can a dog from the local pound. 99% of the times they will not defend you or your home regardless of the physical abilities and their nostalgic lore just like a dog from the pound. They will run and frolic and play with other dogs at the park just like the dog from the pound, but......

This sort of like looking up and self diagnosing/self medicating on WebMD. A million people take a medicine and if one person has an adverse reaction they are compelled to list that one adverse reaction. Odds are you are not going to be the one in a million but if you are it will really suck. Having a pit bull dog for a pet is like taking a chance on being that one in a million.

S

S

Revelator likes this.
  16. snk88

snk88 Pup

I’ll also add a weak nerved dog is a dog who gets scared easily. That’s not very alpha if you ask me. I want a dog thats confident and not scared of children or it’s own
    I know more than you when it comes to dogs. I could tell immediately on your first post about alpha dog that you don’t know much. You described a weak nerved dog that’s not clear headed. Not an alpha dog. An alpha dog is hardly bothered by anything until it’s actually something to be bothered about. Since an alpha dog is pure confidence and has bomb proof nerves. I do have tons of experience with working dogs. Mostly shepherds. GSDs to be exact. My dad is a retired k9 officer and trains ppds and sport dogs. So understanding traits, drives and genetics is something I do understand very well as I’ve learned from the best. As far as owning a real game dog, you are correct in saying I don’t have experience. I’ve only owned a pitbull type dog that had no pedigree. But my purpose of posting here is to find a “WELL BRED” APBT. The ones of old that earned the title nanny dog. These dogs were just as tenacious and were winning in the pit - yet, the dog men of that time also seemed to breed dogs to have strong nerves. That’s why when they would get worked up, they never had what’s called redirected aggression. Which is actually what you meant when you said alpha dog. You can have a grand champion that has strong nerves and is loving and stable around all people - since it was selectively bred to also have strong nerves to go along with its drive. Some people don’t fully understand what they are doing when it comes to breeding dogs so they breed high drive dogs even if they don’t have strong nerves. This is how owners and kids get killed by their own dog. It’s bad breeding imo. But with that said, I understand why one would breed the dog if it’s going to live outside on a chain and only come off to fight or train. 99% of people don’t want a nerve bag dog that’s completely unstable, unloyal, and a threat to not only others but more importantly a threat to themselves. And if you know much about dog genetics look at it this way - which dog do you think will be more game? The dog with strong nerves ( not bothered or scared of anything clear headed ) or the dog with weak nerves? (Bothered, scared, cloudy mind unstable) When a dog gets exhausted in the pit and is hurt and stressed to the max the dog with stronger nerves will be less affected by the stress than the dog with weak nerves. That’s simple genetics. I know there’s great breeders out there, I do believe Chico is one of them. But it would be cool to find a cheaper option if possible. Chicos dog Atos was hit by a Grenade in ukrain. You know what that dog is now? He’s a service animal. That’s what you call a confident strong nerved dog. He was Grenaded by humans, yet he is still loving and friendly towards humans. And he is also a champion or grand champion dog. A weak nerved dog like you described would never be the same after an experience like that. They would probably freak out every time they saw a stranger from that day forward. Do more research on genetics and breed better dogs. You can still have a game winning dog but one that is a better representation of the breed. Be responsible with the freedom you have and do better. Pitbulls shouldn’t be agressive nerve bags. They should be amazing trustworthy awesome animals that will whoop any animal on 4 legs

17. snk88

snk88 Pup

I’ll also add this - I know you’ll reply with something along the lines of I don’t have experience with game dogs, which you are correct but use Chicos bloodline as an example. These are champions, grand champions, POE, ROM, 1xw, 2xw etc dogs. And yet all of them are being sold as pets to families that have children and none of them are killing kids or attacking their owners. This is my point. You CAN have winning, well bred, strong nerved, confident, clear headed APBTs. Or you can have lower confident, nerve bag, cloudy headed, unstable APBTs. But the dogs who are better bred are not only better animals as pets but are also better animals in the pit. His dogs are winning around the world and I know most people don’t like him because he sells dogs for alot. But the man understands genetics and knows that the more confident, stable, stronger nerved dogs are far more game than a weak nerved psycho dog and his dogs make better pets. That’s what sets apart good, responsible, breeders and bad ones. This is why I think I may go with Chico even though it’s super expensive. To get his bloodline I think is very rare in this arena as far as temperament goes. Just like there’s more than one way to skin a cat, there’s more than one way to breed a game dog. And I can tell Chico studied and understands genetics. That’s why he can have a champion/grand champion dog that is also a service animal. I wish more breeders would study and learn about these things. Maybe the APBT wouldn’t always be at risk of BSL. Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate it and I actually really enjoyed everyone’s advice and insight

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Where does the " nanny dog " concept come from?
    After reading some of your posts. It's Hardly likely that any member of the forum will sell you a dog. I seen where you value slims opinion however you seem to neglect his opinion on this whole " nanny dog " concept lol

19. snk88

snk88 Pup

Then why were they called nanny dogs? You can google it. I’m just wondering where you are coming from. I agree they were bred for war. But they were absolutely called nanny dogs. It can be googled

20. snk88

snk88 Pup

Here

Attached Files: