1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Southern Kennels

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Big Game Bulldogs, Nov 5, 2021.

?

Does Southern Kennels have a history of producing high quality game dogs?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

OK, I am going to be a bit kinder and gentler thann SsDD, but though he is harsh, his short response needs to be examined. Here is the main problem you are going to have: This forum is pretty much 100% devoted to real fighting dogs. That is because, in essence, that is what the true pit bull always has been and if bred to traditional standards should be. The guys on this forum are focused upon, and though no one admits it (because they don't want to go to jail) was most likely at one time active in the game. I have never been (though I have had mt share of "yard accidents") but I am an historian of the breed and have owned a few.

Contrary to what you read in, say, Stratton books, if you get a dog true to this forum you are going to have a dog that you cannot do the stuff you want tp do with. You cannot go for runs in the park (even on leash) play fetch (unless in a 100% secure area) go swimming if there is even a remote chance of other animals around. I had a laid back son of Ch Crazy legs, but he was the exception. And even he killed a neighborhood dog (long story). In general these dogs are extremely high strung and require a ton of work and are, quite frankly, a HUGE PITA to own. The dog will be very affectionate....and then destroy your house while you are not looking. The dog will require constant supervision and extraordinary safety measures. It never stops. I am struggling with just the one pup I own. I had to work her on the flirt pole today, and I have to run her (at 10 PM tonight) just to get her to sleep in her cage throuout the night. Left lose in the house at 7 months she will still tear shit up. I have a pen for her in front of my TV and if I work her twice a day she will play with her ball in the pen for an hour, the only hour I really get to enjoy her. The rest is work.

Cy the dogman and snk88 like this.
  2. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Idk how I was harsh. He's completely wrong about the history of the breed. Just like for being a self expressed historian and expert you don't know much about them either.

tomjones2 likes this.
  3. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

You are consistent, my man.

4. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

I'm just being honest.

I'm no dogman, historian, genetics guru, master breeder, world renowned conditioner, great handler or any thing else but a douche with a few dogs. I know just enough about things to know I don't know much about any of them.

People can see through the bullshit everyone posts online. It isn't hard at all tell who's "faking the funk". No point in the braggadocious ego pumping. Looking back at everyone's old posts shows exactly what they know and don't. You're a historian with all these dope ass connections but bought a dog without realizing she was mostly Jeep and needed to be told about Jeep. That's not a historian. Hell you can't handle a puppy but are giving out advice on how to get and raise one.

Same advice as always you ain't learning if them lips are a bumping. Bet you'd be all upset if some 6'4" 145lbs soaking wet string bean told you how to diet, work out, and juice up to become Brian Shaw..... literally the same thing here.

5. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Like I said, you are consistent, especially about the douche part, but hell, I have grown to like you. I do think we need to get you some pussy.

I most certainly don't know much about...well except for all the claims that he was overbred and over rated, are Jeep dogs. I never had an interest in them. I know Red Boy dogs have a reputation of being nut cases, most of the dogs I have owned have a good bit of Red boy if you go back far enough, but I did not know the reputation of Jeep dogs. This is the first time I have owned a Jeep dog. She is maybe 20% Red Boy. I would say she is about 60% Jeep. I never really studied up on Jeep dogs. But ironically, now I own one so it is time for me to learn.

Are you saying that Jeep dogs are as high strung as Red Boy dogs?

Cy the dogman likes this.
  6. snk88

snk88 Pup

Lol thanks man. Can you educate me?

7. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

He can, just understand his people skills are not the best, LOL.

8. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

If getting pussy or not getting pussy controls a man to the point he won't be himself and call out bullshit he's a slave to women/his emotions and not a man.

Anyway. Idk I don't fuck with Jeep dogs. All the ones I was around were crossed with rb and rascal. They acted similarly but they were all related..... I also think it's case by case anyway. A whole litter can have different personalities. To try to pin point 1 pups attitude based off 50 years of everyone's breedings is about impossible.

But I'm not the historian.

Revelator likes this.
  9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Not that I am anybody to give out a lesson, but here goes my $0.02....that is not really worth the pennies involved.

First never look into the past of these dogs with rose colored glasses and never think back with nostalgia in mind.

Other than the internet, and maybe in the midst of selling a puppy, I have never-ever heard anyone say they were making a breeding to preserve gameness or perpetuate the breed or do any of the things that sound good to others. It simply does not happen.

From the very first breeding after these dogs were determined to be 'bulldogs' there are two reasons to breed dogs. Money and winning. In the beginning there were far more people breeding dogs in search of their next winner than there were people breeding dogs for money. Over time it is now far more people breeding dogs for profit than for winners. And neither of them factor in 'gameness'.

Gameness is an elusive trait and if all the dogs were held to that standard the number of dogs being bred would be minimal (more dogs quit than make it). Thus, there would be no money involved in selling dogs because the money is made by selling dogs in volume, not the age-old argument of paying top dollar for quality.

The guy that is in search of winners is breeding what wins and sometimes curs win and in turn they get bred. People who are really doing dogs are not checking their dogs to see if they are game, they are checking their dogs to see if they will stay long enough to win. Sort of play on words but I have never heard anyone say they were leaving home with a dog and handful of money with gameness as their best hope for a W.

These dogs are not for everyone and even with the best intentions and the best training and all the best efforts, it is a bulldog down in there somewhere. It can be hidden for a long time and it may remain hidden for the life of the dog but in most cases, and usually at the most inopportune time, the bulldog will come out. This can't be stopped.

If you call the breeder and he assures you he knows what he is doing and he has exactly what you are looking for.....RUN. He is simply full of shit. Period.

If you call the breeder and he has the dog that fits what you are looking for perfectly, PAUSE, then get your buddy to call the next day and give a separate criteria and if this guy has one that fits perfectly again, RUN.

I had Fila Brasileiros for a long time. I had one in the house that in my heart of hearts I know she would kill a grown man. (When we were working dogs back then we even staged break-ins for some real life work). The only positive to owning her was when I left for work I felt 99.9999% sure that whoever kicked in my door would be stretched out in the dining room when I got back. Other than that, they were a complete pain in the ass and had no other redeeming values because everyone was the enemy, man, woman or child and other four legged creatures as well.

The dog you are looking for can be had with out going to the extremes of 'game bred pit bull'.

But again, good luck with your search and I hope you find the dog that fits your bill.

S

tomjones2, GrChHaunch and snk88 like this.
  10. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am babbling on waiting for a delivery.....

Rel life examples.

Chloe was bred onto a yard that cared nothing about anything other than winnings dogs. No brood dogs, no game plugs, as the dogs had already won or had a chance at winning. She was sold (more as a gift) to a friend/co-worker. He did all the things a pet owner should do and Chloe was the most mannerable dog you will ever see. She was 8 months old and after obedience classes she walked in the park with all the others dogs. He was warned but he had it under control. One day this poodle looking dog snapped her on the nose and some $3500 in vet bills and then even more for court costs the owner had to pay for that inner bulldog. She ended her family career that day and in time became the best female I ever owned.

GRCH Grunt (Bullet/Mims bred) won the first time with as much mouth as there has ever been seen but he sort of looked around a couple times. In his second the opposition said if they had five more minutes Grunt would have quit but Grunt brought such annihilation he did not have five minutes left. He picked up. The next three W's were all made up but he was bred a bunch of times because of the mouth and the stories of the mouth.

The great match bitch Molly Bee won 8 times and nothing ever scratched back to her. That family of dogs was never looked at as particularly a game family but they could bite so they were re-produced. The percentages were low but when you had one that would scratch you could ride up and down the road with anyone. Molly Bee even cur snapped at dogs and if she had done that without the accompanied devastation, she would have been dubbed a cur and there would be no stories to tell.

Just three real life dogs with real life stories. Don't make these dogs out to be something they are not or make the game something it is not.

S

tomjones2, Revelator, snk88 and 2 others like this.
  11. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

I am curious because I never heard that rep about Jeep dogs. Of course I have not run across many Jeep dogs. I followed the Mayday, Yellow, Hollingsworth stuff very closely and of course there is no way to follow this breed and not run across Red Boy. My take on Jeep was always that he was overbred and considered by many to be over rated, but that was eons ago. Of course many said the same thing about Mayday, but Mayday has been more influential over the last 20 years.

I just have not run across many Jeep dogs, and was very surprised to find so much Jeep in my dog, of course that was 5 generations back. My breeder considered her more of a RB dog although the ped is clearly more Jeep. Then again as Che (and pretty much everyone) says/said, the dogs up front are more important.

12. snk88

snk88 Pup

Thanks for your reply and insight

13. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

You can get some good info from SSDD...but IMO, Slim is the Bible when it comes to this breed. Read everything he posts....3 times over. Search back over his old posts too. He is balanced and not argumentative, either.

snk88 likes this.
  14. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Read this twice, especially about CHloe. I had a son of GR CH Haunch and back then I was stupid enough to take him to the park. At about 11 months he suddenly started up and I ran away from the park with him before the owner of the Rhodesian Ridgback he f'ed up could catch me.

15. snk88

snk88 Pup

I’m all good with a dog that wants to fight other dogs/animals. I am just totally against a man bitting dog or a dog that has such weak nerves that it will re direct onto its owner when it gets worked up. Those are my only 2 worries when it comes to finding a APBT. My dog was so perfect it makes it hard to find something like him. He hated other male dogs. He’s go crazy every time he saw one. But I always had him on a leash so he never got into a fight. He did however get along great with female dogs. Again, idk how close he was in temperament to a real APBT because he was a back yard bred dog with no pedigree. Thanks for all the into though. It’s helping out with making a decision. I almost wonder if I should look into amstaffs? The only thing I have against them is they aren’t real APBTs. I might have a bit of an ego

16. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

So you think if a dog will bite a human or excite bite it’s owner it has a weak constitution ?
    Everyone wants alpha dogs until they do alpha shit smh

david63, Revelator and Ssdd like this.
  17. snk88

snk88 Pup

Lol - your statement here is so accurate. You could tell I’ve read his books

18. snk88

snk88 Pup

N
    I disagree. When you say alpha, there is a difference in a dog that has rank drive within its own species and a dog that has rank drive outside of its species. The APBT has low rank drive or dominance when talking about its relationships to humans. But they of course are very high in rank drive when it comes to its own species. This is another reason why I love the breed. You don’t typically have to worry about rank issues as far as humans are concerned. My dad on the other hand trains malinois, German shepherds, Dutch shepherds, Rottweilers etc. All of those dogs are rank driven not only within their own species but also with humans. I know very well what a highly rank driven dog is like to live with and it sucks. It’s not a pet dog. It’s not affectionate. It’s always trying to move up the rank ladder and if it senses any weakness, it will challenge you. And that can mean a bite. You always have to remind them of their place and it’s a real PITA! This is exactly why I’m not interested in shepherd dogs or dogs that are rank driven with humans. Because I would end up putting them down the first time it challenges me. Not the breed for me. I like the dog that has more tenacity than the gsd, and is tougher than a gsd and would whoop a gsd. But then it’s loving and loyal to its owner. Btw, a dog who redirects onto its owner has nothing at all to do with being alpha or dominate - it’s a dog who has extremely weak nerves. Those are the type of pitbulls I don’t want. The ones who kill kids. A weak nerved dog like that should never be bred in my opinion. I guess that’s where my disconnect comes from with some APBT breeders. They don’t focus on strong nerves. They’ll breed that dog if he wins. That’s kinda what I was getting at when I said the originators of breed didn’t seem to have those issues with the dogs in the beginning. They were called nanny dogs and they loved kids and were good around all people. You could grab them and touch them however you wanted and they wouldn’t bite a human. Because they had strong nerves. My opinion is that somewhere along the line, certain breeders would breed one of those weak nerved dogs you described and hence now you have pitbulls who kill kids for walking them down the road when the dog sees a squirrel. SMH. You could have a dog that has just as much drive and tenacity but has strong nerves, and it wouldn’t attack or kill its owner. This is where I think breeders need to learn how to clean up the breed. But, this is just my opinion. I understand some people are dog fighters and they only care if the dog can win fights. None of my business. I’m just looking for the APBT who has strong nerves along with everything else since I only want a pet to workout and be active with

19. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

20. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

Wow you really haven’t seen shit have you?
    That novel you just wrote means absolutely nothing. All that shit sounds good right? Until you got one between your legs and they decide your holding them for to long. Maybe your taking a collar off and they decide there done waiting lol

you have no clue what your talking about buddy. I’m not the one to sit on here going back and forth with a mofo that has a predetermined notion based on zero knowledge.
    Just start a thread about all the famous dogs that would bite, bite to be released, bite during work etc …all the ones this perfect mutt you want has in its pedigree.
    I’m sure there’s plenty of folks on here that’ll indulge you. All those famous dogs everyone chases lol … nip, bite, fuck your life, it’s war

then again get a Chico dog. I’m sure he’ll be good for therapy

david63, Revelator and Ssdd like this.