1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Southern Kennels

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Big Game Bulldogs, Nov 5, 2021.

?

Does Southern Kennels have a history of producing high quality game dogs?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. snk88

snk88 Pup

I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if I could ask you all a ? I’m looking to get a real APBT. I had a back yard bred APBT that I paid $150 for. He was by far the best dog I’ve ever owned. Ive never had a dog that wanted to obey me so badly. I’m wondering, is that a trait that real APBT possess or did I just get lucky? I’m not a dog fighter. I just love the breed and the history and tenacity that these amazing dogs possess. My dog was also very affectionate. Idk if he was game or not and I didn’t really care. I knew he wasn’t a fan of male dogs but he was great with females. Is the affectionate part common in game dogs? Last question. I’m not trying to make anyone mad or anything, but I was considering getting a pup from Chico Lopez. Again, I’m not a dog fighter, I just want a companion that has enough drive to do obedience and be an affectionate, loyal companion that I can workout and train. Chico seems to portray his dogs as awesome pets and the videos and reviews I read seem to back that up. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or know of any kennels that produce stable, loyal affectionate, driven companion type dogs? Anything helps. Thanks

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

You will pay a ton of $$$$$ for a dog from Chico Lopez.

You can just about find what you are looking for at the pound or a rescue, but with that said.

Most bulldogs are very affectionate. All mine are your best friend and will load up and leave with anyone that will pat them on the head. In what seems like a hundred years I have had only one that didn't like me.

Most of the dogs I have owned are pretty much animal aggressive to anything on all fours. I am just about sure with some effort and training and socialization some of them could have been OK with other animals. My personal opinion is that bulldogs and other dogs are a bad idea that usually does not end well. Tons of people have proven me wrong but I can't seem to think that way.

Good luck in your search.

S

stedz and snk88 like this.
  3. snk88

snk88 Pup

Btw. I am aware of the potential dog aggression and the drive and the need to work these dogs. I’d consider myself a low level professional dog trainer. My dad trained German Shepherds for sport and I learned a lot from him. There’s no other dog breed I want other than the APBT. That is if the real apb
    Thanks for your reply and info

4. slim12

I had Filas and a Rottweiler I did man work with many years ago. There was a guy in the Atlanta area that did man work with Snooty dogs that i would have given just about anything to own. These were dogs down out of Snooty and Pool Hall Red bred back to some of the Herschell and Superman dogs.

They were forty pounds of power.

And this is from a guy who trains some of the best detection dogs in the world (if you ever saw the story on the Beagle at the Miami airport that had a hit put out on it by the cartels). His protection dogs were super.

I should have taken his advice many, many years ago and went with a working American Bulldog for the family pet, the family protector and one of the the cooler dogs to ride around with in the truck.

Most of the time you get everything with the American Bulldog without the dog aggression and m aybe even a hair less off the hard head-edness.

Good luck.

S

snk88 likes this.
  5. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

No, don't go with Chico. Are you local? Tons of good dogs here in Texas. Also, you have to unsderstand that these, if you get a real one, are fighting dogs. They are a PITA to own. Some dogmen, more experienced than me will tell you that there are real bulldogs that can get along w/ other dogs, but that has not been my experience. I am by no means a real dogman, but I am a historian of the breed, have owned 5 and done a breeding. I have only seen one dog that was cold. If you get a dog from proven stock you have to be 100% prepared to deal with the fact that it will try and kill every dog it sees. I had a mother son combo, and while a little better, it did not take much for a war to break out between these two.

Now having said that, yes, these are some of the most affectionate dogs you will ever own, espciallly the females. We are talking total cuddly bunnies that will always want to be in your lap, but also completely nuts. I am in Houston around where Chico is located, and I know a guy in Mexico who has a dog from Chico and he will sell for less than half the price including transportation. But honestly, and I love those bloodlines, I got a better dog (well acting, she is only 7 months old) than that bloodline for $700. The point is, if you are in Texas there are better dogs , or at least as good for a LOT LESS MONEY!!!! For less than Chicos money, $3k you can get a better dog from, from (I think the dog is called Little Red, its in Mexico) Its producing well, but again, producing fighting dogs. We have Ch Ship dogs here for $1200 ( there is a thread about Ch Ship here). There are a bunch of Ship dogs on the ground right now here in Texas. They are bred to Kozima, and other very good lines. But again, we are talking fighting dogs. There are lots of better choices around these parts. Chico is considered a peddler.

If you want high prey drive, my $700 dog is the highest drive dog I have ever owned and I am sure I can find you something similar from my breeder.....but she is HELL to take care of. Complete nut job, still a maniac who can only have limited house time she is so driven.

If you want to pay a little more (I think $900) and pay shipping, look at AKG's dogs. He is a mod on this forum. They would also be a way better choice than Chico.

Finally, Mayday was one of my favorites, I had a grandson off him, but he was great a looooooong time ago, and bred out the ass.

snk88 likes this.
  6. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

AGK...I always get that wrong, LOL. But see if he has any pups available. I think. he has a 4 month old, don't know if its for sale.

7. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

I have no idea what social media Chico is on, I talked to his partner once on the phone 12 years ago and immediately knew I did not want to do business with him. He is a joke, and you need to get his balls out of your mouth. I had a son off Gr Ch Haunch, dingbat, Mayday's son. Chico is right around the corner from me and I would never buy from him. My friend in Mexical has one of Chico's dogs and I could buy one from him for $1200, shipped. I got a real good acting pup I paid $700 for. When she gets older why don't you bring one of your Chico dogs over and they can play.

8. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

If you are local to me and good I will help you find a dog. Just understand these dogs were not bred for man work....having said that I had one that was excellent at Schutzhund and I am hoping my current pup can do it. We will see. As people will tell you, most of these dogs are not good for man work as they are bred to not be aggressive especially while in the box. However, some can be. What you want is to start with a pup that has as high of prey drive as possible. For example, when picking a dog from the litter, most will go pretty limp when you pick them up and hold, pet them. The dog I had did not she kept going nuts while I held her so I picked her. Now to do this, you have to be able to pick the dog from the litter, you don't want to buy one and have it shipped. If you are in Texas it is possible to go see litters first hand, there are a lot of dogs here. Factor in how the dog acts over the pedigree.

snk88 likes this.
  9. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

When did Brazil became part of Houston? Did I miss a planetary catastrophe and the US claiming a South America country that crashed into Texas???? Is Galveston still intact? Is Check A Hoe part of Rio now? Lol

Anyway..... There's multiple ways to go about getting a dog. You can go to FB, hoobly, the local swap meet, you can do the romanticized and rarely viable "find a mentor and offer to scout shit, youll end up with great dogs and all the knowledge in the world" approach, you can go to adba shows and meet ppl, you can Google apbt breeders and buy the first pup you see.

Chances are if you're buying a pet and may want to get into a sport or showing any big name breeder can accommodate that. So could a few hundred dollar dog out the paper.... Just be honest to yourself about your budget and actual goal with the dog and go from there.

david63, snk88 and Revelator like this.
  10. slim12

So far teh advice has been spot on.

List your end goals and be tru to them and once that is nailed down factor in your budget.

I just about know you can hit your end target with a lot less $$$$$ than paying for a 'Chico dog/Chico bred dog'.

If you have several thousand dollars to spare and it is important to say 'where the dog came from/who bred the dog' then Chico or one of the other big time commercial breeders will be more than willing to welcome you into their fold------til your money runs out.

Good luck.

S

11. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

I missed the part about him being in Brazil. I though, since he was looking at Chico dogs he was near Houston. I definitely would not recommend Chico in that case, LOL. BDK is in Mexico and transports. That Little Red dog is also in Mexico. Either of those choices are going to involve dogs who's parents are or have been actively matched, and a casual pet owner probably does not need that, but then again he may want to know that the dogs are real pit bulls.

I don't know much about the dog scene in Brazil although I am very familiar with the country. Jui Jitsu and beautiful women...oh and crime, LOL.

12. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

He is saying Chico is in Brazil not the guy looking for a dog.

Ssdd likes this.
  13. snk88

snk88 Pup

Thanks again for your advice man I appreciate

Revelator likes this.
  14. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

Well...can't blame him, have you seen the women there, LOL. But back to the guy looking for a dog, where is he? If he is stateside he can't go wrong picking up one of your dogs, but of course the question is, do you have any pups? There are a ton of litters available on the Texas/Louis.game bred section on Face Book right now. I know the guys here are not fans of FB, but there is a lot of junk but also some good stuff there as well.

But oh yeah, Chico's social media is a riot.

15. snk88

snk88 Pup

Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it

16. snk88

snk88 Pup

Def not looking for one for man work. I just want an active, affectionate pet. It’s ok if it has dog aggression. But I was thinking of going to Chico because his dogs seem to have stable temperaments. I know videos can be selectively picked as well as the different temperaments within a litter. But some of the videos I’ve seen of his dogs show that they are really friendly and affectionate as well as stable around other dogs that are more submissive. Again, it may have been just that certain dog. Thanks for your advice. I’m going to take my time picking the right breeder and pup from the litter. spring/summer is when I’m looking to get one

17. snk88

snk88 Pup

I’m from Michigan

Revelator likes this.
  18. snk88

snk88 Pup

Sound advice thank you

19. snk88

snk88 Pup

Basically I’m just looking for a man’s best friend type of dog. I don’t need a pup from the litter with the highest drive nor do I want one with the lowest drive. But all I’m planning to do with my future dog is have it live in the house with me, play fetch, go for runs and swims, take him hunting for small critters (not hogs) do some hiking and if I do any sports with him it would be something like doc diving or wall climbing etc. Idk if I’m right in saying this so correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like when the APBT was fist made into an official breed, those guys were breeding an all around amazing animal. I’ve never herd of a dog redirecting onto its owner or a dog killing a kid. They called them the nanny dog. Again, I could be totally mistaken here but it seems somewhere along the line people became more competitive and more concerned about winning in the pit and that’s where I feel they began being ok with breeding a man aggressive dog if it was a winner. Or a dog that had redirective aggression as long as it was a winner. Sorry if I’m off on that statement. But I’m really wanting to find a breeder that not only breeds to the standard as far as gameness goes, but also is trying to breed an all around amazing dog. If I could find that dog that’s all pitbull but has an amazing temperament all around, I would pay almost anything. Thank you all btw for your advice and insight. APBTs are the best dogs in the world

20. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

You're completely wrong....

snk88 likes this.