1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Skunk poison spray allergy???

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by NobleKnls, Oct 22, 2010.

1. NobleKnls

NobleKnls Pup

I was walking dog two nights ago and he found a skunk. Long story short one side of his face is swollen. He only got sprayed. My vet said it was probably allergic reaction and told me to give benadryl. My vet is a real good guy, but to be honest I don't think he is always the sharpest tool in shed.
    Have any of you guys ever seen a dog swell after being sprayed by skunk butt juice?/?

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Well, skunk spray is definitely a poison. It contains several sulfur-containing chemical compounds that not only stink, but can be very irritating to the skin. It can make animals go blind temporarily if it gets in the eyes.

Your vet isn't crazy. Just make sure you've washed the area that's swollen very thoroughly. If your dog had any wounds, even minor ones, where he got sprayed, this could def attribute to the swelling.

I haven't personally seen swelling other than eye, nose, and lip from a dog being sprayed, but some dogs have more sensitive skin than others, so I would assume it's possible, like i said, especially if he had any open areas on his skin.

But if you've given Benedryl regularly (1mg per pound up to 3 times a day) and the swelling still hasn't gone down after a couple of days, it might be a result of something else happening to him that you didn't know about. Insect/spider bite, snake bite, foreign body stuck in his skin or mouth, bad tooth, or an infection. If it's not showing any signs of going down, take him back to the vet. He may need steroids or antibiotics or both.

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Also, my dog had a mysterious occurrence of facial swelling once. It went away a little for a week or so but then came back and came back worse. They couldn't figure out what was causing it. Regular antibiotics didn't work, so they sent off some serum from the swollen area and it came back some crazy weird bacteria. Best we could figure he poked himself with a damn stick or something which introduced the bacteria into his face or lip. We did surgery to see if we could find any foreign body that might have been left in his face or lip, but didn't find anything. So we just flushed it out real good, sewed him up, and put him on two different types of antibiotics (one of which was hella expensive, ugh) for a long time and he finally got better.

Good luck, whatever it is! Let us know what u find out if anything. Maybe u wont have to go to the vet.

4. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

5. NobleKnls

NobleKnls Pup

Thanks guys. I am gonna stay on top of it, I just didn't think it was that serious...

6. BlaznJon

BlaznJon Pup

So did the swelling go down? The reason I ask is reno the tan dog in my avatar had some kinda reaction to the first few skunks that sprayed him.He some how has figured a way to get skunks with out getting sprayed.his eyes and nose some times one side of his muzzle would swell up.I washed him the best i could and the swelling would go awy in a day or two.Benadryl dosn`t work well with him it makes him hyper.

sorry didn`t relize the avatar pic was so small.here`s a thumb nail so you can see what kinda dog he is

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010