1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Silence beginning of working season and conditioning

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SilentDobe, Mar 22, 2010.

1. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Why is a doberman on this fourm lol.:confused:
    Anyways he could do flirt pole, chain dragging(would be beneficial since he don't pull), swimming, weighted collar exercises.

2. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Oh, and ear corrections on dogs are a disqualification for cropped ears.

[​IMG]
    you can kind of see some of his overall structure (just not in a stack).

[​IMG]
    Disregard the fly-aways. Ear carriage is correct, just not standing.

3. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

The explanation that -they- say is that the dog learns to grip things frontally. In sport, they want a full grip back on the molars of the dog. This, in conjunction with either a dog too young or with bad training in the first place can ruin a grip. Otherwise, a mature dog with his whole life being bite foundation, can play with a toy and be ok. Grip is something that is built and built and built in bitework, and if done correctly at the correct pace (not too fast or slow) while the dog is maturing, it is a learned habit that will not go away on bite equipment, be it suit, sleeve, or hidden sleeve.

BTW, a Dobermann is on the forum because I explained in my introduction that other people in the care and keep of their dogs (working or no) on other forums are downright idiots who baby their fat ass dogs in everything. Proper care is advised here and I respect the APBT people for that. The proper traditions never fade here. Also, proper nutrition and exercise is expressed here and, again, I respect that. Is that so wrong?

4. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

thanks for the advice. It's not warm enough to swim here, but it will be soon. I would assume that chain dragging is similar to regular pulling?

5. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Thanks for clearing that up. I my self own a doberman, he is going on six this may. Hes bigger than yours in terms of muscle build, maybe hes taller but i cant judge from the pics. I will post pics up. These pics are very old. id say about 3-4 years old. he is roughly 2 years old in these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Where did you get him from? Silence is 29 in tall, 80 lbs right now. He's handsome.

7. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Thats funny, my dog, apollo, is the exact same. He stands 29 inches at the withers and weighs 80lbs even. I will get New pictures of him to show what he looks like now, he has a much fuller frame than he did years ago. I purchased him from a close friend in west virginia. Hes come along to be a great dog, awesome guard dog.

8. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

SilentDobe Your dog looks great.

No offence to viegas703 but I think SilentDobe's dog looks quite a bit better then yours, even with the flops. You may or may not have done his ears but to me (and I am no professional on Doberman Pinschers) but your dogs ears look prick not cropped to me. Once again no offence to you or your animal but I think SilentDobe's dog looks better.
    (Maybie post some new pictures of your dog Viegas)

9. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

To each his own, everyone has an opinion. I cant disagree with you on the crop, i was dissapointed with it aswell.

10. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Thank you! Like I said, minor faults and one being that my fiance when I was gone didn't know how to post ears in the early stages as well. Heavier ears are -not- a fault, just harder to post is all. But, being a stud, he must look his best, therefore the surgery. Also, I can't stand fallen ears that are cropped and I don't want to be looked upon as lazy, I did my best but I was working a lot. Not happening with my bitch that I will be getting.

Does Apollo have a ped I can look at?

11. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I didn't want to sound shitty, or downing your animal but like I said post some new pictures and I'll give my opinion.

12. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

i didnt take it the wrong way bud, im more than aware his ears were done wrong. I will get some new pictures of him that are up to date. here is apollo in our last snow storm in december.

[​IMG]

13. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

you can see how much his chest grew. Hes a good looking dog, to me.

14. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

I personally like a strong bell-curve, medium length, sharp tips, and narrow ears. I got a longer crop on him than I bargained for...it looks nice when supported, but a little long for my taste. Luckily, he is leggy so a longer crop looks nice. I'll post pics after his surgery

15. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

He has papers. unfortunately not anything online. I dont have possesion of them at the moment, my mom does. I can get them tomorrow and post them up myself.

16. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Ok, not a problem, just curious. :D

As far as the purpose of my post, when I go out on the trial field, my goal is to have a dog, a Dobermann, that is in such a great physique that they HAVE to watch him! On appearance alone. So, at least the obedience is being watched. :cool:

17. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Your dog is 2 years old correct?

18. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Yep. In January.

19. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Just attach a chain to the collar and allow the dog to pull it around in the forest, field or path. Very little equipment needed and it works the shoulder area aswell as back legs. No clue one the weight of chain you should use though.

20. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Awesome, thanks. I would have made it far more complicated. :p I'll start with a lighter chain and if it seems too light, I'll just keep going heavier. About how many times a week? My problem is creating a program for him and I to follow...I'm a bit on the non-creative side when it comes to plans and routines.