1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Show dogs vs Working dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by tommy3, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

true that.. good point.

2. In short, there are breeds and types as there are tastes. You choose what fits you. If you do not have the time to work a dog, you find yourself a dog that may look like you spend the time without actually spending a minute with them. There are other people that like to be involve and work their dog(s). These individuals seek a breed that needs the activity.

In regards to game-bred dogs being able to tolerate (or get along) with other dogs, I believe this is true for some but not all. I believe, socialization at a young age may help a dog accept, tolerate, or like other dogs (not all dogs all the time though!). While I do not presume of having a Ch or Gr Ch in my household, every gene in his body is game. Yet, I have taught him not every dog is a contender (but some are pretenders). Thus, he has been able to deal with others while supervised. The only issue is that he will mount any dog (his size or bigger) to reaffirm his dominance. This is were everything gets blurry.......

Heck, show dogs do us a favor by representing the aesthetic beauty of the breed (in a blowup sense). For this, I thank all the people that decide not to buy a game-bred and opt for a show dog. If well-bred, they will not be part of the statistics we deal today. I am most concerned with people that seek game-breds with little breed education and focus on media information to "train" their dogs. These people are mostly young kids (teens) and unstable adults. The other culprit is bad breeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  3. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

BTW- mydawgs I really meant that post about gameness/ aggression to tommyt.

also you would be surprised at the $$$ that goes into the bullys. an average litter goes for 1,000-1,500. If the dogs are proven producers the price goes up...

4. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I am in the process of creating a new line of Dachsunds. I don't like their body length, so I'll shorten them up by mixing in some breeds. Add some merle to the line for some flair. Emphasize on breeding their temperment to my fitting and WHAM!! Tommyt's Dilinger Dachsunds. I love dachsunds and everything about the breed. Who wants one?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  5. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Not always, no, but so far we've had 3 die from heat stroke this week (you know, no shade, no water, 90 degree temps) & tens of thousands of these "priceless" pit bulls are now in the local shelters awaiting their final release (euthanasia) date.

7. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Heat stroke is a constant threat particularly with the heavier boned dogs. Its preventable but still a worry in the warmer months. As far as shelter dogs... I hope you are not stating tat there are no game dogs in shelters? Actually they are usually so hot that they are immediately euthanized without the chance of adoption...
    I dont know about the people you know as breeders of these lines, if you know any at all. but much like you guys the people that I associate with and know are all breeding for thier yards. they sell a pup or two to the public usually to compensate for vet fees or feed... but primarily the pups are bred to better the yard so they end up staying there. They arent pumping out litter after litter either, usually 1-2 a year.
    You're letting the media hype influence you about us, the same way it influence people about the breed. These are not thugs and get rich quick people.. while i dont deny that they are out there I dont deal with them and they are not the only breeders there are. Just because they arent breeding these dogs to be gamedog doesnt make them bad breeders.
    so putting every BYB trait and bad breeding practice on them... they are adding to the problems and yadda yadda is wrong. I know of a few gamedog breeders that have 4-5 litters on the ground at any given time. they pump dogs out constantly.... but because the dogs are gamebred is taht okay?

didnt think so.

8. I think breeding 1-2 a year is way too much. Breeding should only be done when you know or believe the mating will procreate better samples of the parents. Before you can breed, you must know the weaknesses of the sire (or Dam) and find a mate with those same attributes as a strong point. Thus, ideally, you will mate dogs that complement each other (what one lacks the other has as a strong point). Again, this is my opinion of prerequisite for breeding.

9. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I don't believe you really know what a game dog is or a game bred dog is. A game dog is a dog that has been proven to be game. A game bred dog is a dog that has been bred from proven game parents. A game bred dog is rare because it is extremely hard to even acquire a dog that is game. So, of course, an actual game dog is extremely rare. Anyone that tells you that they have game dogs is probably talking out of their ass. Why would anyone incriminate themselves? I wouldn't believe anyone that would go as far as saying that they breed game dogs. Unless I knew it was fact or if I knew them very well. Most of the people who say they are game breeders are full of sh$t. Most people will say their dog is game bred because they have Chinaman or something like that in their dogs pedigree. Don't believe the hype. Last year, I went to see some dogs that someone was advertising as ChinamanxGator gamebred pups. I went and looked at the pedigree. Chinaman showed up once and the Gator dog was something stupid like "Davidson's Black Gator". It was no more than a horribly scatterbred dog. You can go through the newspaper or internet sites. Ask them if they have peds, if they do, look at them. If you know anything about bloodlines and proper crossing and breeding, you would laugh your ass off 9 times out of 10. The large majority of people that claim that they are gamedog breeders do not know the first thing about gameness or the game in general. They do not know how to breed for traits or have respect for the dogs. Just because someone says they have game dogs or are game breeders. Don't take them seriously, there are only a handful of true game dog breeders left in the country. The majority are a bunch of hacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  10. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

tommyt- I couldnt agree more. The term gamedog/ gamebred gets tossed around all to often. I met a guy who had a dog that champed like 5-6 generations back in the dogs ped and was pushing his dogs as champion offpsring.
    I just kind of smilled and nodded.

11. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Great, I know I stay on your ass and I want to apologize. If I find something that I don't agree with, I want to see why the other person feels as they do. I, in no way, am here to bash you. I just want to understand others views and them to understand mine. They are your dogs and I am sure you love them, just as I do mine. Hopefully, we can come to somewhat of an understanding.

12. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

No need to apologize, I understand the love you feel for the breed and what you do, you do to maintain it. I understand, Defintely.
    The way I look at it- If i can hold my own with you guys (having these types of conversations) speaking our minds and hashing thiings out, the rest of the world is cake.

Gamebred dog owners, and fanciers are the most dedicated bunch I know... and that real.

13. Sorry if i'm going to sound stupid but what exactly is a game-bred pit bull..i have a pit bull but i wouldn't know if he were game bred or what not. i didn't buy my dog for looks at all but i want to be more knowledgeable about the breed. if anyone could help. thanx

14. jasong

jasong Big Dog

LOL, this is great. who wants to go first.

15. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

A game bred APBT is a dog that has been bred from proven parents. A game dog is a dog that has been proven game.

16. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Wasn't there a thread not too long ago (might have been posted by rocksteady) containing an artical on game specifically? Anyways, I'll go on a search for it and see if I can find that thread. It had some great info.

17. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

18. Hey Dozer thanx alot I mean my dog isn't registered and i was trying to figure out what he would be considered. that string helped. i don't think my dogs parents ever competed in anything but they are all strong as hell and really athletic.

19. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

A gamebred dog isnt one you can acquire without knowing your stuff. I have yet to see a breeder of "game-dogs" that will sell to just anyone, let alone someone who has never owned the breed or understand what a game dog will bring to the table. With that being said Guido, even though your dog probably isnt gamebred, dont drop your guard. There is a world between the terms game and aggression and although a game APBT is rare in itself these days, DOG aggressive APBT's are not. Never trust your APBT not to fight, study up on how to break up a fight if one happens and look into purchasing a breaking stick soon. All this may be info you never use, but its info you need to have if owning or being around this breed. Your dog might afterall grow up to be cold (never wants to fight), but you can never count on it. Neuter your boy and love the hell out of him......check into weightpulling if you feel your dog is strong and athletic, its a fun outlet for your dog to test himself;).

20. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I know there are, but those are usually euthanized pronto. My statement was in response to the belief of many (not saying you, just many) that because someone pays a lot of money for the dog, doesn't mean they actually give a rat's ass about it. If that were the case, then there would be no English Bulldogs in rescues at all (& there are tens of thousands). At our clinic, there has been a shift in the breeding in that the majority of bybs we see are breeding the blues & I always get told that "well, I have to make my money back" or "it's turning out to be a good investment".

I'm not stating that blues owners are one way & game bred owners are another. There are great owners of both, good owners of both, & downright shitty owners of both & these people unfortunately make up the majority. I'm just emphasizing that because someone pays a lot of money for a dog, doesn't a) make that dog worth more than another dogs life & b) mean that their owner will care about them.

And I also understand what you mean when you say that many blue breeders are breeding to improve their yards. But are they TRULY breeding to improve upon the breed's already set standard & breeding to improve the breed? I have several dogs that I'd like to breed because I like them, however, they haven't really done anything to prove they're worthy of being bred. The problem is when people breed what they like, but what they like is nothing like the breed standard. If they want to do that, fine, but give the new breed a different name. If they're doing things for the right reasons, then it should not bother them one bit to have a completely different name that fully separates them from the APBT....but again, hence the Am. Staff.