1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Show dogs vs Working dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by tommy3, Sep 28, 2005.

1. B

B CH Dog

There is no fact in your statement. There have been great dogs that get along well with others. Ch and Gr Ch that got along with their littermate brothers and sisters. I have several friends with working dogs that get along fine with certain other individuals and cur dogs. If you honestly believe the statement in your post that I bolded then you really are showing a lack of experience. Many dogs know the difference and get along well with each other. This is not to state that the majority of gamebred dogs act this way but there are plenty of exceptions in the working dogs to this rule.

B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  2. B

B CH Dog

Let's try to keep this on topic and respectable everyone. We all have our own opinions and we need to try and respect each other. A respectable debate and discussion will help EVERYONE out but if we start to get too personal then we're going to send this thread down hill. Take a deep breath and be sure to reread your posts before you submit them. There is a right way and wrong way to say things and we can try to keep some of the heat out of the arguement by making sure we're posting things the right way. Let's respect everyone's opinion!

Regards,

B

3. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

BnD- You are a joy to debate with. Its great to talk to someone with different ideals that can talk it out and really "preen" the details. we may have different ideals but you know your stuff.. Hat off to you for that.

4. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

can't we all just get along stop bad mouthing each others dogs and have a little respect for one another this is crazy way to much anger, this is a game dog site however there is a wealth of information for all dogs owners here i own a couple blues not one of them is fat lazy or people agressive they climb trees work hard as i ask them to and sleep in my bed at the end of the day there dual regestired (ukc adba) so please stop trying to say there mutts or am staffs how can any one here claim to be more informed than the regestries my point is that this a great site with lots of info for everyone people need to just accept the fact that not all game bred dogs are game and not all blues are mutts and move on and continue learning and save the fight for the bsl

5. B

B CH Dog

I appreciate the kind words. I'm all for an intelligent discussion and debate. I think part of the reason people tend to get personal about the dogs is because they care about them so much. We all love all dogs (especially our own) or we wouldn't be here. I just wish people could keep things a little more straightforward and a little less opinionated. There are things that both types of owners can learn from each other if we BOTH can keep an open enough mind to speak respectably towards each other.

Regards,

B

6. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Yeah, but this dinosaur ain't gonna go extinct.....:D

7. jasong

jasong Big Dog

Dude, You got a serious anger problem. You need to stop with the personal attacks and relax. This is a good thread we have going here and the adults that are replying seem to be handling this as adults. You my friend just want to put people dwon and call people and their dogs names. Y? does it make you fell like a bigger man. Sorry pal but it don't make you big. There are several people on this thread that seem to understand where the other is comming from except you. Your seem very thick headed about your beliefs and that's fine. Just stop resorting to name calling and put downs to try and get your point across. It makes you out to be unintelligent and I don't think that is the case.

When did Diesel ever say he bred his dogs? That's b/c he didn't say it. You just assumed it. When did he ever say he likes lazy dogs? He didn't say that. He said he likes a dog that's not as high strung. I have game pits and yes they are high strung for the most part but I also a nice Jeep/Redboy that's the laziest piece of crap you've ever seen. She don't want to do anything that doesn't involve sleeping and eating. That doesn't mean all other dogs or APBT or AM STAFF's are lazy. It just means they aren't as high strung as others.

8. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

aman thats what i was trying to say only you did a nicer job

9. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I have a question, if all are secure in knowing and loving their dogs and what makes their dogs lovable, what is the harm in distinguishing a non-game bred dog (show bred dog) and a game bred APBT by different names much the way the UKC distinguished the Am Staff from the APBT? It seems to me all would be well served, and everyones objectives could be achieved that way. The game dog folks could keep their breed to their standard and the show dog folks could embody all they love about their dog to a different standard....seems like a reasonable solution to keep everyone happy, so you don't call your dog a Pit....who cares? By separating the two no one is in danger of LOSING what is valuble to them in their chosen breeds.....

10. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

LOL... lazy is the last descriptive term you could ever use to describe my dogs. They are workers, but they know when its time to sit down and chill out.
    I have posted more then enough pictures to show this boy working and playing...
    I dont like lazy dogs, i like athletes...i also like a mellow dog when we are not on the field. and these dogs give me that. they are full throttle when it counts and completely relaxed around the house. best of both worlds.

11. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Everyone, I am always one to preach the gospel of talking respectably to others on this forum. I did lose my nerve on a couple of posts. Diesel, I said that your dogs are lazy and that was jumping to conlusions. I apologize.
    But, if you disrespect me or game bred dogs, don't expect me to not return the favor. You know who you are. Our dogs are not still around because of your bullies. Get it out of your head. The prime examples of this breed are still around because there are still a few that still love the way the dog is supposed to be. And I do not take kindly to people who hide behind the computer and try to boss me around. Ask and you will get better replies.

12. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

We believe differently on that then. Becuase I personally think that if the only specimens of the breed were the gamebred dogs. With thier history and mentality it would be much harder to convince John Q. that they arent the monsters that the media makes them out to be. And dont think for one minute that the breed wouldnt have issues without bullies, because the mixing goes on and so does the BYB and the trait passing of aggression. I have dropped dimes on my share of dog fighters and they have the same mentality. The meaner a dog is the tougher it is. they take them and hide them form the public feed them gunpower and red peppers and all kinds of stuff to give them brain damage and destroy any attempt at a reasonable temperment. These dogs are truely monsters. These arent the big headed pits that cost thousands... these are "gamebred" dogs they got for a couple hundred bucks. The dogs ae bred for aggression, they are bred to dogs that exibit it and are trained to do so themselves. It has nothing to do with thier breeding. But I know this much... The guy that spends $2,000- 5,000 on the bully showpiece isnt treating it like crap and fighting it in the streets.

BTW- what are you talking about hiding behind the computer?

13. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

So you do believe this breed wouldn't exist without your bullies. Please, say it isn't so. You actually have the nerve to compare punks in the street with people who care about the breed. Let me tell you something, these punks don't know the first thing about bulldogs. If they did, they wouldn't abuse them to make them aggressive. They don't know what gameness is. So, how the hell do they breed gamedogs? If their dogs were game bred, they sure as hell wouldn't be sold for 100-200 dollars. Do you not think that these same punks are out buying bully breeds to fight with? There are BYB on both sides of the fence. You have no idea what makes a game dog either. It has nothing to do with aggression. If their dogs are bred for aggression, they are not gamebred. You have just disrespected many members, including myself, by comparing us to those low lifes. And people wonder why I get so mad. You have no respect for the true APBT.
    You claim that it would be harder to convince the public that these dogs aren't monsters without bullies. If that is the reason, why are these bullies bred to look more aggressive? Kinda defeats the point, doesn't it. Aggression of some these bullies are lost because the dogs are crossed and are not bred for the right reasons. Not all of your bullies are angels. So, please explain to me how your dogs are doing a better job of easing the publics mind. I guarantee people are more fearful of a 100 lb short and wide bully than my 45 lb rangy game bred dog. Every kid on the block plays with my dog and the parents don't mind. If Buck was 100 lbs with a big head and short legs, the parents would be terrified. Do you know why? Everyone thinks of a man biting pit bull as being a big ass bully. If bully breeders were so dedicated to giving APBT a better reputation, they would breed them to be less intimidating. Not more.
    The comment about hiding behind the computer was not directed towards you.

14. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

It is those punks in the street that are getting our wonderful breed banned...

15. Marty

Marty Guest

Something don't smell right in here :(

16. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

You claim that it would be harder to convince the public that these dogs aren't monsters without bullies. If that is the reason, why are these bullies bred to look more aggressive? Kinda defeats the point, doesn't it. Aggression of some these bullies are lost because the dogs are crossed and are not bred for the right reasons. Not all of your bullies are angels. So, please explain to me how your dogs are doing a better job of easing the publics mind. I guarantee people are more fearful of a 100 lb short and wide bully than my 45 lb rangy game bred dog. Every kid on the block plays with my dog and the parents don't mind. If Buck was 100 lbs with a big head and short legs, the parents would be terrified. Do you know why? Everyone thinks of a man biting pit bull as being a big ass bully. If bully breeders were so dedicated to giving APBT a better reputation, they would breed them to be less intimidating. Not more.

17. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

We believe differently on that then. Becuase I personally think that if the only specimens of the breed were the gamebred dogs. With thier history and mentality it would be much harder to convince John Q. that they arent the monsters that the media makes them out to be. And dont think for one minute that the breed wouldnt have issues without bullies, because the mixing goes on and so does the BYB and the trait passing of aggression.

Game dogs are bred for game, heart, temperment not aggression - a by product of game in some game dogs is aggression (aggression is the anti-thesis to game). Read the articles written by some of the foremost authoritities on prey drive, game and aggression....Paul Skelton is one of my favorites. If the true APBT standard was honored BYB couldn't be so successful, so on top of wanting to preserve a wonderful dog, you could eliminate some bad mixing as well.

I have dropped dimes on my share of dog fighters and they have the same mentality. The meaner a dog is the tougher it is. they take them and hide them form the public feed them gunpower and red peppers and all kinds of stuff to give them brain damage and destroy any attempt at a reasonable temperment. These dogs are truely monsters. These arent the big headed pits that cost thousands... these are "gamebred" dogs they got for a couple hundred bucks. The dogs ae bred for aggression, they are bred to dogs that exibit it and are trained to do so themselves. It has nothing to do with thier breeding.

This is not very representative of the dogmen of yesterday or today - and not very fair at all...do your homework...really. It has EVERY thing to do with the dogs breeding or lack there of.

But I know this much... The guy that spends $2,000- 5,000 on the bully showpiece isnt treating it like crap and fighting it in the streets.

IMHO anyone who spends 2000 to 5000 on a bully show peice has issues, and need not worry about how to treat his dog, but maybe why it is so important to spend a gawd awful amount of money to what...show other people? And if I owned a Mountain Mans Homer or a Crenshaws Honey Bunch they wouldn't leave my side for 100 0r 200 dollars...that is simply just a silly remark IMO.

18. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

I am not comparing anyone... i am talking about what the public sees. You know as well as I that dogmen/ women like to remain out of the spotlight, were as these morons or wannabe dogmen like to be in the news... or so it would seem. So its what the public sees, that makes the difference not what really is, i think we all know that. The only thing john q. would have to base thier opinions on would be what they see, thugs fighting dog on the corners.

your getitng mad and not even taking the time to read the posts. I said they dont know the difference... Do you think BYBs care about worth? they care about pumping out dogs that are "tough" and making money. They breed females into the dirt... litter after litter, heat after heat... until they are spent and then they fight them or abandon them. I am not comparing these people to any dogman I have ever known.

I really dont think you are reading these posts. If you think I meant anyone here, I know at the very least your not understanding what i am saying. By being here and posting i htink we have all demonstrated a level of love and respect for the breed.

and stop trying to school me on aggression and gameness I know the difference.

19. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

People... I do not mean dogmen. When I said i dropped a dime on dog fighter i am talking about those street thugs. I know many REAL dogmen and i have no desire to turn any of them in.

20. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

No offense, but the up side is the more it shows up in print the more people who don't know get an opportunity to learn the difference...PEACE!!!!!! Then the more the general public can be schooled.......and thats how you are gonna have to win this battle with the misconceptions of the general public, one uninformed person at a time......